12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^What shetc said. Well done, @mjdonnelly68 !
IMG_20231218_164804.jpg

4th Beer of Christmas - @mjdonnelly68 's Spiced Dunkle Weizenbock
Beer pours a very pretty brown with red hues. A thick head that dissipates somewhat quickly (though the carbonation seems correct). No hop aroma and some spiciness on the nose but otherwise clean. Spices come through on first sip but in a muddy fashion (I couldn't pick out any particular spice). Also get the raisin character I associate with winter warmers. Well balanced and drinkable for a 7+% beer. As it warms up the spices become more prominent as does the raisin character. A solid effort and I enjoy drinking it but needs some work for me to want to make a session of it. 2024 12 BOC here I come... Cheers!

IMG_8327.jpeg

View attachment 836877
@BAF Tasting bourbon, vanilla, and star anise on a silky finish. Not much of the other spices, though it has a low bitter finish that they may be responsible for. A very quaffable spiced stout!
I do think that the star anise is overshadowing a lot in this brew. I would cut down on it next time. I always feel like 1 pod is too much when I cook with it, and apparently it is for 20L of beer, too.

I do think that the star anise is overshadowing a lot in this brew. I would cut down on it next time. I always feel like 1 pod is too much when I cook with it, and apparently it is for 20L of beer, too.
Had the same issue with the star anise called for in my recipe. I think the perfect amount is a white whale - it goes from way too little to way too much in a heartbeat.

@mjdonnelly68 's Spiced Dunkle Weizenbock

The picture doesn't do it justice, but it's got a greet deep ruby color and is quite clear. 2cm head that dissipated almost immediately. There's some serious allspice and ginger in the aroma.
The first sip hit me hard with a gingerbread flavor. It faded into a nice raisiny finish. As the beer warms that raisiny malt flavor comes to the front. Super festive and I'm glad I have 2 more :)

1702953797437.png

Had the same issue with the star anise called for in my recipe. I think the perfect amount is a white whale - it goes from way too little to way too much in a heartbeat.

Wait until you get to mine LOL. Just to remind you... Star anise (5 pods), orange peel, chamomile, bay leaf, rosemary, juniper berries, and something else I can't remember. Might be a dumper!
1702960580422.png

But srsly, bay leaf. cmon. I was going with the gruit theme, which means you're trying to bitter with something other than hops. It's an experiment.
I thought the same thing about the caraway seeds in my recipe. Sometimes you just need to go with it and see what happens. I can't wait to try your beer and see how all of those ingredients come through. Very exciting.

@mjdonnelly68 's Spiced Dunkle Weizenbock

The picture doesn't do it justice, but it's got a greet deep ruby color and is quite clear. 2cm head that dissipated almost immediately. There's some serious allspice and ginger in the aroma.
The first sip hit me hard with a gingerbread flavor. It faded into a nice raisiny finish. As the beer warms that raisiny malt flavor comes to the front. Super festive and I'm glad I have 2 more :)

View attachment 836904
Glad you liked it - cheers!
Since we're all homebrewers let me ask a home brewing question: About the head quickly disapaiting what do you guys do to improve head stability? I know that head retention suffers in higher gravity beers, but at 7.3% I wouldn't consider this one a banger. I would also have thought that all the wheat in the malt bill would help with head retention. What would you all try to get the head to stick around?

Glad you liked it - cheers!
Since we're all homebrewers let me ask a home brewing question: About the head quickly disapaiting what do you guys do to improve head stability? I know that head retention suffers in higher gravity beers, but at 7.3% I wouldn't consider this one a banger. I would also have thought that all the wheat in the malt bill would help with head retention. What would you all try to get the head to stick around?

A decoction with a glycoprotein rest may help.

Tom - I just realized I looked at the wrong list, which had @BAF for the stout. Sorry about that.

5th Beer of Christmas - @tdf 's Spiced Bourbon Stout
Beer pours a gorgeous, velvety black with a thick brown head that persists. The star anise is front and center in the aroma which is otherwise clean (no hop aroma but none expected). Great mouthfeel and much less minty flavor than the aroma would imply, the roastiness nicely tempers the star anise. As the beer warms up the spices become more prominent but the beer remains very drinkable. Nicely brewed @tdf - Cheers!

IMG_8331.jpeg

@shetc Juniper Rye Bock

Poured without much head. Low carbonation on mine. Perfect color for a rye beer (IMO). Fairly clear. Faint aroma of rye and malt, waiting for it to warm up a bit to get more. Very interesting flavor. The malty rye kinda gives this a port wine flavor. Wonder what it would taste like at 15% lol.

Mouthfeel is medium.

I like this beer. It's quite different. Think I need to make one of these while the weather is still cool. Beers like this are why I do this event with you guys.

1703029291395.png

Last edited:
Juniper Rye Bock

Poured without much head. Low carbonation on mine. Perfect color for a rye beer (IMO). Fairly clear. Faint aroma of rye and malt, waiting for it to warm up a bit to get more. Very interesting flavor. The malty rye kinda gives this a port wine flavor. Wonder what it would taste like at 15% lol.

Mouthfeel is medium.

I like this beer. It's quite different. Think I need to make one of these while the weather is still cool. Beers like this are why I do this event with you guys.

View attachment 836970
Great pic.

Juniper Rye Bock

Mouthfeel is medium.

View attachment 836970
The carbonation level baffles me. That keg lagered for 5 months at 12 PSI. I wonder if the gauge is faulty.

Last edited:
I gotta say - with 4 of the 12 revealed at this point - I’m a bit nervous when mine comes up.

You and me both, sir! I’m up tomorrow (*swallows audibly*).

I had @mjdonnelly68’s Weizenbock last night. It was amazing! I’m a huge fan of spiced beers and that one is one of the best I’ve had! Thanks!

5th Beer of Christmas - @tdf 's Spiced Bourbon Stout
Beer pours a gorgeous, velvety black with a thick brown head that persists. The star anise is front and center in the aroma which is otherwise clean (no hop aroma but none expected). Great mouthfeel and much less minty flavor than the aroma would imply, the roastiness nicely tempers the star anise. As the beer warms up the spices become more prominent but the beer remains very drinkable. Nicely brewed @tdf - Cheers!

View attachment 836966
Baker's Chocolate sensation. @tdf chose a superb stout base recipe upon which to build this wonder. Delish!

I'm glad folks are enjoying the stout! I'm about to pour one for myself. I'm attaching the recipe here, minus the spice + bourbon tincture. I just followed the recipe from the book for that. (Sorry it's in metric, I know that's not super popular around here :cool: ). The base recipe is a little bigger, and for 24L but I brewed 30L for this beer, which lowered the efficiency, but you can still get a solid idea.

Attachments

• Brewfather_HomebrewTalkSpicedBourbonStout_20231220.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 0
@shetc by chance is this the capper you use?

View attachment 836980
One of these suckers. This is the 1st time I lagered/carbed in a keg, with the intention of bottling the whole keg later on. I suspect that I slowly lost some carbonation as I bottled a couple of cases of beer. For a comp, I only bottle a few beers so no noticeable loss of carb. So yeah, a higher carb level makes more sense in this case, as @passedpawn recommended. Or use a separate CO2 tank to clear the bottles of O2.

1703078170315.png

Last edited:
20231219_183503.jpg

Last night's beverage from @Rish. As you can see, it poured dark brown with a moderate off white head, that dissipated to a ring of fine bubbles, pretty clear. Flavor was malty with a balanced holiday spiced combo. Lower ABV made for easy drinking, which I think non-beer geeks (as well as me) would enjoy over some of the more heavy weight beers that people drink this time of year. Well done!

Last edited:
One of these suckers. This is the 1st time I lagered/carbed in a keg, with the intention of bottling the whole keg later on. I suspect that I slowly lost some carbonation as I bottled a couple of cases of beer. For a comp, I only bottle a few beers so no noticeable loss of carb. So yeah, a higher carb level makes more sense in this case, as @passedpawn recommended. Or use a separate CO2 tank to clear the bottles of O2.

View attachment 837022

View attachment 837022
I’m not an expert in this but isn’t their pressure loss as the beer travels from keg to tap? I thought that was also dependent on size and length of hose?

I'm a little off-schedule due to life, but last night had the Juniper-Rye and it was great. I really liked the spicy-bitter up front, which was the dominant flavor while it was cold; but the malt began to smooth it all into a nice balance as it warmed a bit.

Had the dunkle weizenbock after that and found it to be a real nice example of a spiced Christmas beer. I am intrigued by how this will taste a month from now and a month after that; spiced beers are something that I find to be hit and miss in my own brewery, so really wanting to drink these with intentionality.

Nicely done!

Back