12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a day behind so just getting to the spiced stout. Pours a deep black / brown with a thick brown head. Get hints of cinnamon and lots of black licorice (assume from the star anise).

An enjoyable beer!
IMG_3235.jpeg

6th Beer of Christmas - @Rish 's Gingerbread Brown Ale
Love the label, one of my favorites. Beer pours an attractive brown with a tan head that dissipates quickly. Light spice on the aroma with no hops apparent (or expected). Spices stand behind the brown ale in the flavor. Pleasantly roasty and very quaffable at 4.5%. Nice beer @Rish - Cheers!

IMG_8335.jpeg

@mjdonnelly68 Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock

Another enjoyable beer. Labeling is sweet. happy wassailing indeed.

Careful pour - bottle conditioned. Clear, dark brown beer. Small head that dissipated quickly. Carbonation feels just right. Aroma of allspice as it warms up.

I can taste the combination of spices clearly behind a barely slight sweet brown sugar finish. Well, it's not sweet, sorta of like unsweetened bakers chocolate that tastes like chocolate but lacks the sweetness.

Very drinkable beer with just the right amount of spices to make it seasonal.
1703120336914.png

7th Beer of Christmas - @thetick 's Honey Ginger IPA
Beer pours a nice orangy light brow with a tan head that persists. No hops on the nose (a surprise at this ABV) but the aroma has a very pleasant sweetness that I can't quite place as ginger or honey (maybe hinger or goney?). Following in suit the taste has a sweet spiciness which is delicious against the stiff bitterness of the backbone recipe. Honey starts to assert itself as the beer warms up. Dangerously drinkable at 8.3%. Well brewed @thetick - cheers!IMG_8346.jpeg

@thetick - cheers!
Bitterness matches the honey and malt level for a solid IPA.
Nice ginger level, but too bitter for the wife who can't tolerate any IBU above 18, so that's two more festive bottles for me.
A Win in my camp.

Beer pours a nice orangy light brow with a tan head that persists. No hops on the nose (a surprise at this ABV) but the aroma has a very pleasant sweetness that I can't quite place as ginger or honey (maybe hinger or goney?). Following in suit the taste has a sweet spiciness which is delicious against the stiff bitterness of the backbone recipe. Honey starts to assert itself as the beer warms up. Dangerously drinkable at 8.3%. Well brewed @thetick - cheers!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it! I was actually a bit surprised by the low hop aroma as well. If I were to ever brew it again, I'd probably make some changes to the recipe to ramp up the aromatics. Could be because I used a British IPA as a base per the instructions, and I don't have any experience with them so for all I know the low hop aroma may be typical.

@thetick Very nice low key IPA (that's a compliment). Ginger and honey really go well together - this beer would be fun to enter in a competition as I think it would stand out. Did you go with the EKG?

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Per the instructions, I replaced all of the aromatic hops with EKG -- the original recipe called for half EKG and half First Gold. I also cut the ginger in half. The one gallon test I brewed over the summer had an absolutely overpowering ginger flavor -- to date, it's the only beer I have ever dumped because I couldn't drink it. :(

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Per the instructions, I replaced all of the aromatic hops with EKG -- the original recipe called for half EKG and half First Gold. I also cut the ginger in half. The one gallon test I brewed over the summer had an absolutely overpowering ginger flavor -- to date, it's the only beer I have ever dumped because I couldn't drink it. :(
Doing a test gallon was a good idea.

I'm working on getting caught up. The spiced Bourbon Stout was really smooth, very subtle with the spices. The Anise is there, but not overpowering, so it becomes a "that's really good, but why?" experience.

The Gingerbread Ale has a tart and warm, yet still mild ginger flavor that makes for a really easy drink. Really glad these weren't brutal in ABV, too, so I can keep going tonight and maybe catch up with everyone 😁.

Nice quad, @4_Sons_Brewing ! Nice mouth feel. Malt, a little fruit, a little sweet that all gets more pronounced as it warms. Don't know the abv but it's not detected in the taste. Some interesting words on the label!😉 I like it!
View attachment 837188
It occurred to me as I was putting the labels on that I didn’t include the ABV…. It’s 10.2%.

The label was a bing AI image generator product - it’s either Dutch or gibberish - since I don’t speak Dutch I wasn’t sure - but I liked the look overall so I went with it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

8th Beer of Christmas - @4_Sons_Brewing 's Caramel Quadrupple
Fantastic label. Beer pours a beautiful dark amber with a thick tan head that persists. Clean nose - no hops detected, a distinctly Belgian sweetness in the aroma. Carbonation is plentiful and welcome. Caramel sweetness is subdued but evident and becomes more pronounced as it warms up. Very tasty and drinkable for the ABV. Nice brew @4_Sons_Brewing - cheers!

IMG_8374.jpeg

9th Beer of Christmas - @GoodTimeCharlie 's Saffron Triple
Love the label. Heads up to all (pun intended): Ran into some trouble opening this one (best to open in the sink just in case). Beer poured straight up with a tremendous white head that went everywhere. :). Tried a second one with similar results (lost 90% of the beer). What beer I was able to try was very Belgian and very tasty. Bummed that I didn't get to drink a whole bottle - enjoyed what I did get into the glass. On the plus side, my living room now smells like Evergreen and Belgian beer - what's more Christmassy than that?

Sorry @GoodTimeCharlie - hopefully others have better luck. Cheers!

IMG_8380.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the label. Heads up to all (pun intended): Ran into some trouble opening this one (best to open in the sink just in case). Beer poured straight up with a tremendous white head that went everywhere. :). Tried a second one with similar results (lost 90% of the beer). What beer I was able to try was very Belgian and very tasty. Bummed that I didn't get to drink a whole bottle - enjoyed what I did get into the glass. On the plus side, my living room now smells like Evergreen and Belgian beer - what's more Christmassy than that?

Sorry @GoodTimeCharlie - hopefully others have better luck. Cheers!

View attachment 837240
Definitely disappointed in what I gave everyone. Thanks for the honest feedback

Love the label. Heads up to all (pun intended): Ran into some trouble opening this one (best to open in the sink just in case). Beer poured straight up with a tremendous white head that went everywhere. :)[/USER] -
Will open these giving them time to settle. Appreciate the heads up. I have released pressure three times now and letting it go back to sleep in the refrigerator.

Opened and poured this very tasty brew with no problems. First thought on pouring was "What that stuff going into my glass?!". Then I realized it was the saffron threads.😂 Definitely Belgian character, I taste a little banana/bubble gum. Nice job, @GoodTimeCharlie ! Looking forward to having another one in the future.
IMG_20231223_174723.jpg

Finished last night with the Ginger IPA. Not sure what the recipe is, but there is a distinct candy flavor to it that surprised me. It wasn't the bubblegum I normally get from warm-fermented beers and lagers, but an honest candy-flavor. Was that the type of honey or how was that accomplished?

Wanted to drink the quad today and then maybe the saffron, but I gave blood this morning so, tomorrow or Christmas day.

Sorry guys. Have family all over the place and having trouble finding time to do an actual tasting. Gonna start getting back on track tomorrow.

I’ve been drinking on schedule, but have fallen behind on the posting!

It occurs that I never posted re: the Gingerbread Ale. Was really looking forward to this one and it did not disappoint! Very nice gingerbread flavor without being overpowering. Well done, thanks @Rish!

8th Beer of Christmas - @4_Sons_Brewing 's Caramel Quadrupple
Fantastic label. Beer pours a beautiful dark amber with a thick tan head that persists. Clean nose - no hops detected, a distinctly Belgian sweetness in the aroma. Carbonation is plentiful and welcome. Caramel sweetness is subdued but evident and becomes more pronounced as it warms up. Very tasty and drinkable for the ABV. Nice brew @4_Sons_Brewing - cheers!

This was an awesome quad. Very smooth. Went down super smooth, you’d never know it was over 10% ABV (well, not right away at least)! Thanks, @4_Sons_Brewing!

Finished last night with the Ginger IPA. Not sure what the recipe is, but there is a distinct candy flavor to it that surprised me. It wasn't the bubblegum I normally get from warm-fermented beers and lagers, but an honest candy-flavor. Was that the type of honey or how was that accomplished?

I used candied ginger, so I suspect that is what you are tasting. I also used raw honey from a local apiary, so that may contribute some flavor as well (as opposed to the pasteurized/refined stuff). I never brew with honey as I don’t like mead, but someone with more experience than me would probably know for sure.

Opened and poured this very tasty brew with no problems. First thought on pouring was "What that stuff going into my glass?!". Then I realized it was the saffron threads.😂 Definitely Belgian character, I taste a little banana/bubble gum. Nice job, @GoodTimeCharlie ! Looking forward to having another one in the future.
View attachment 837283
I'll have to retry with my last remaining bottle. Would really like a full pint.

10th Beer of Christmas - @JAReeves 's Cranapple Lambicky Ale
Amazing label jam-packed with context and information - nice work. Beer pours a gorgeous, crystal clear orange-amber with a nice white head that persists. No hops on the nose (none expected). Cranberry and Crab-apple is clearly present. Sourness is perfectly presented - not too little, not too much. Very drinkable for an 8.5% beer (happy to have two more). Perfect way to kick off Christmas Eve. Very nice job @JAReeves - cheers and Merry Christmas to everybody!

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
@Rish Gingerbread Ale

Clear nice looking beer. Head dissipates quickly. Good carbonation.

Interesting aroma. Combination of spices gives an unusual (but not unpleasant) aroma.

Medium body/mouthfeel. Drinks like a crushable spice beer. Cloves and/or allspice dominate flavor. Very drinkable. I think as a lower ABV beer (compared to others), I'd like a bit more body on this one.

It tastes great! What a great holiday beer, and good for the 2nd half of the Bucs football game :rock:

1703460384297.png

@thetick Honey Ginger IPA

Pours slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly. Low carbonation.

Aroma of ginger for sure, even without the help of carbonation lifting the aroma (and I'm using a glass with activation sites on bottom).

Flavor of hay from a combination of ginger and hops. Odd for sure. I've wondered where IPAs might go next... Might be the next big thing LOL.

1703464130436.png

Back