Hockey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO Wings!

After an amazing start to the season, they have had a miserable Feb. I look to see them get back to the winning ways after the injured players get back. That said, they did well with the young guys when they needed them, just didnt' get the wins.

Lidstrom is supposed to be back within the week. I'll be watching to see if anyone takes a run at him, and if Downey and Mac will do some "peacemaking" 8D

I think the outdoor hockey game is a great thing. I'd like to see it sometime. I keep missing it!

ytsejam said:
Chicago rumored to host next outdoor NHL game.

NHL commissioner Bettman is in Chicago today for 12:30 pm press conference.

Hawks have won 5 of last 7 and are still fighting hard to sneak into a playoff spot.

If this press conference is indeed to announce an outdoor game, I suggest to any out of towners to stop by the Map Room when in Chi-town. (check out that beer list!)

I have a very good source that was just telling me that the Wings have been asked to play in next years outdoor game.

I was hoping it would be in Ann Arbor at the Big House (Let the record show, im a state fan, not a U of M fan), but ill take Chitown!

Homercidal said:
Lidstrom is supposed to be back within the week. I'll be watching to see if anyone takes a run at him, and if Downey and Mac will do some "peacemaking" 8D

Mac as in D-Mac?

Though I really want to see him complete his comeback, I just don't know if he can do it in the NHL.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Yeah, from what I gather, Bettman didn't really say much of anything during the press conference.
There's video of it on the Blackhawks web site, but I'm not watching it, they showed that punk too much for my tastes during the game tonight as it is.

Hawks 3 - Ducks 0!!!!

Another big hockey fan here. I actually played up until a few years ago. Was a Nordiques fan years ago and am now an Avalanche fan. I actually enjoy watching most teams but I hate a select few(Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings). There seems to be a lot of Wing fans so I am sure I will get flamed for being an Avalanche fan. Claude Lemieux anyone?

foppa78 said:
Another big hockey fan here. I actually played up until a few years ago. Was a Nordiques fan years ago and am now an Avalanche fan. I actually enjoy watching most teams but I hate a select few(Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings). There seems to be a lot of Wing fans so I am sure I will get flamed for being an Avalanche fan. Claude Lemieux anyone?

judging by your handle i'll guess that your florsberg fan and as far as lummox can you say turtle?

d-mac4.jpg

I actually have a really nice 8x10 of Mac pummeling the turtle.
I had Mac sign it years ago and it's been on the wall since then.

2 years ago, turtle was signing locally, so I went with the picture and asked him if he would sign it. He told me to F off and to get out of his line. I have the video that a friend took, somewhere around here... I need to find that and post it up.

MacCarty is just a goon. His comeback attempt wont be anything more than a slim opportunity to play on the 4th line. He should just stick to his rock n roll band.

Lemieux
# Four Stanley Cup rings (1986, 1995, 1996, 2000)
# Conn Smythe Trophy - Stanley Cup MVP (1995)

drapes.jpg

foppa78 said:
MacCarty is just a goon. His comeback attempt wont be anything more than a slim opportunity to play on the 4th line. He should just stick to his rock n roll band.

Lemieux

drapes.jpg

LOL! You asked for it!

I'm hoping McCarty can continue his PERSONAL turnaround, and get on the straight and narrow. His professional comeback I don't care that much about. The Wings are doing very well without him, and I see it more as the Wings wanting to help him out, more than them wanting him to help them out.

Besides, they got Downey now, to do the necessaries. He came in late last night, and 3 different Blues tried to get him going, but the game was over and there was no reason to fight, so he just took a couple of pokes and kept skating. Didn't care for the goon hit the Blues put on either. Shame on them.

I cant believe this rivalry was over 10 years ago now. The rivalry is pretty much dead now. The teams are so different that it isnt as much fun as it once was.
I will say that Lidstrom is a stud and I was sad to see him injured. I am sure the Wings were concerned with him being out because they haven't looked good lately.

I want nothing more than the Hawks to squeak into the 8th seed so we can dispatch Detroit in the first round.

blizz81 said:
I want nothing more than the Hawks to squeak into the 8th seed so we can dispatch Detroit in the first round.

Chicago's future is looking good but I dont know if it is looking that good.
Kane is awesome and Toews has some sick moves

[youtube]obp8G2JFgkM[/youtube]

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Said with a whimper "go Canucks". Not really a whimper, more like said between clenched teeth while grumbiling something about "Nonis", "Nasland" and "bunch of bums".

Nasland is awesome. The Canucks need to get him some help.

foppa78 said:
Chicago's future is looking good but I dont know if it is looking that good.
Kane is awesome and Toews has some sick moves

Chicago has fared very well against Detroit this year. 4-1, with a couple of those wins early in the season when Detroit was red hot, the best Detroit can do is tie the season series now. Chicago is playing pretty well now too, so if they keep it up it should make for a good game next Tuesday.

foppa78 said:

Lemieux

drapes.jpg

Please. Let's not put Clod up on a pedestal, he's hardly a valued player on any NHL team. His Conn Smythe nomination was a fluke. His claim to fame is easily the ESPN #1 most hated player in the NHL all-time.

As for McCarty sticking to his band.. I've seen Grinder play live on a couple of occasions... Believe me, he is much better as a hockey player.

The Wings/Avalanche rivalry was good while it lasted, but jumped the shark pretty quick.

Nasland is not worth the 6 million bones a year he is currently paid. I like Nasland but he's not the star he used to be. If they re-sign him it will likely be for half what he makes now.

The did good tonight. 6-2 against Nashville. Only line not to score was the big line though the Sedine's both had a few points.

That kid Raymond is going to be a future star I think. Same with Shannon.

Yeah, the Canucks played great tonight. The thing about them though is that you never know what to expect from them. Games they should win handily, they get blown out in. In games they seem out-matched, they some how come up with a win.

In games like tonight, when you were ready to write them off for the season, they give you reason to believe.

It is hard to be a canuck fan....

RICLARK said:
MAC can stay home if you Prefer but Downey will stomp a mud hole in any Avalanche that chooses to embark.

Sure he would. Downey vs Parker would not be a mud hole stomp.

I can't wait to see how the end of the season goes for Detroit. You all know how much more physical it gets near playoff time. That's the best hockey in the world!

Chicago could be dangerous for Detroit. They had done well against us this year.

If Detroit can manage to play even half-assed, they got a godo chance of grabbing the president's trophy. There are a lot of teams fighting each other to grab a playoff spot this year. It's going to be a good stretch!

The Detroit Red Wings foreign scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play hockey in the new American sponsored league, and is suitably impressed and arranges for him to come over to the U.S.

Ken Holland, the General Manager, signs him to a one year contract and the kid joins the team for the preseason.

Two weeks later the Wings are down 4-0 to the Blackhawks with only 10 minutes left. Coach Mike Babcock gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in. The kid is a sensation, scores 5 goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for the Wings! The fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted, and the media love the new star.

When the player comes off the ice he phones his mom to tell her about his first day of NHL hockey. "Hello mom, guess what?" he says in an Iraqi accent."I played for 10 minutes today , we were 4-0 down, but I scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me."

"Wonderful," says his mom, "Let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed, raped and beaten, and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all while you were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "What can I say mom, but I'm so sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry? All you can say is you're Sorry?" says his mom, "It's your fault we moved to Detroit in the first place!":)

----

I feel better now that I've gotten my Detroit slagging in. (I'll try to refrain from here on out)
I've also used the same joke only changed Detroit to Rockford.

I like Downey, I see him as more of a middleweight, but he's always game.

Here's a good one:

[youtube]B0iTDaZWq24[/youtube]

I think Downey ended up with a broken nose though, he had some back luck for awhile, nose broken by Vandermeer, cut by Shelley, and absolutely pummeled by Brashear.

[youtube]-7GzGv-ylfE[/youtube]

RICLARK said:
There is none that will beat up downey Maybe pronger but I think it would be even.

Pronger? How often do you see Pronger fight? He gets paid way too much to fight. He is tough but that is not his roll on the Ducks. That is why they have Parros and May.

For you Wing fans.

Red Wings recall Darren McCarty from Grand Rapids
Associated Press
Mar 8, 2008, 8:53 AM EST

DETROIT (AP) -The Detroit Red Wings recalled Darren McCarty from the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins.

The 35-year-old McCarty helped the Red Wings win Stanley Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

The Wings said Friday on their Web site that the hard-nosed fan favorite is day-to-day with a minor rib injury.

The right wing was assigned to Grand Rapids on a conditioning loan after he signed a one-year contract last month.

foppa78 said:
Pronger? How often do you see Pronger fight? He gets paid way too much to fight. He is tough but that is not his roll on the Ducks. That is why they have Parros and May.

Pronger just beat up Dan Cleary not to long ago.

I don't think Downey is one of those "elite" NHL fighters. He can scrap, but he isnt a great fighter.
However, Downey gets major props because he will go up against anyone at anytime and he isn't afraid to lay a shoulder to someone. I love that about him.

Mac could fight. And he could fight good. He'll never be a Probert or a Kocur, but he had some ability.

capcrnch said:
I don't think Downey is one of those "elite" NHL fighters. He can scrap, but he isnt a great fighter.
However, Downey gets major props because he will go up against anyone at anytime and he isn't afraid to lay a shoulder to someone. I love that about him.

Mac could fight. And he could fight good. He'll never be a Probert or a Kocur, but he had some ability.

I agree with you crunch. Downey is one tough dude. To me he is kind of like Ian Laperier. Willing to tangle with anyone but not always going to win. I like those type of players. Great grit for the third and fourth lines. Probert was a stud and I also think Grimson was.
However here is a clip of Grimson getting knocked out by Scott Parker.

[YOUTUBE]n108GJ4Ux2I[/YOUTUBE]

FLYERS ALL THE WAY!!!! They've had a tough few weeks but they'll bounce back. Did anyone see Cote fight Roy twice. The second fight Roy took 2 shots and was down. He was pissed the rest of thew game. it was priceless.

foppa78 said:
I agree with you crunch. Downey is one tough dude. To me he is kind of like Ian Laperier. Willing to tangle with anyone but not always going to win. I like those type of players. Great grit for the third and fourth lines. Probert was a stud and I also think Grimson was.
However here is a clip of Grimson getting knocked out by Scott Parker.

[YOUTUBE]n108GJ4Ux2I[/YOUTUBE]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFdzksJu5IY[/ame]

Back