Amazon Reviews, and how Amazon protects vendors of crappy products.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayzala

Scotalian Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought the Kegco sanky coupler below:
Amazon Link
After installing on Christmas Eve for a party, it leaked out the PRV.
Below is the review I left for the product:

I would not recommend this product to anyone!

I received the product and gave it a thorough cleaning in Oxy Clean Free for about 30 minutes in hot water. Then a 5 minute bath in Star San to sanitize. (Side note, the Kegco logo sticker on the end of the handle started pealing off, not quality craftsmanship).

The first issue I noticed was that the tap does not allow you to turn the 1/4 turn the description says, you may get 3/16 but in my case it still sealed to the keg. See the video.

The second and by far the deal breaker is that the PRV (pressure relief valve) leaks badly. The minute I taped the keg I could hear hissing from the valve. At first I pulled the PRV and let it snap back in. I did this many times rotating it 1/4 turn letting it snap back. This didn't help the leaking. So I took things to the next step. With a cut piece of tubing, I unscrewed the PRV to check for any machining bits left in that may cause a seal leak. After cleaning and reassembling, it still leaked.

I needed this for a Christmas Eve party and needed for it to work, no time to return.

I once again pulled the PRV and this time I used some keg lube to coat the gasket. After reinstalling it still leaked a bit but not as badly. I pulled the relief many times giving it a 1/4 turn before letting it snap back in. Finally it looked like the issue was solved. But..

I found that during the evening, passing by the Co2 cylinder, it was hissing ever so slightly. I guess I didn't fix it. So for the rest of the evening, I would tap the keg and pull a pitcher off and then untap. I would lose an entire bottle of Co2 if I left it on the whole night.

This was the 3rd defective product I received from Kegco, and I'm sorry, but you lost a customer for good.

Returning...

Amazon rejected my review saying "Your claim the product is not authentic has been reviewed and found it to be authentic".

Bull Stuff!!!!!!! where in my review do I claim the product is not authentic???

Amazon does this for some vendors to keep the negative reviews down thus selling more product.

I reposted the review adding the below to the beginning:

First - To Amazon, you took down my first review for the reason of "disputed authenticity", and after researching said the product was in fact authentic. My review below is the same as the first and it has nothing to do with authenticity. Do not pull this review just because it may "hurt" the seller, you said in your rejection letter that you want the reviews to be fair, well here it is...

And you guessed it, rejected again on condition of authenticity!!!! WTF!!! I guess they are protecting the vendor and themselves!

I'm ticked off so badly right now.

Ok, enough!

Don't trust Amazon reviews!!!

I've had a few rejected when their AI claimed it was "packaging/shipping," even though the reviews were purely substantive of product quality. Likely their AI spotted something it didn't like. I later re-submitted a review with the wording a little different and it would be posted.

And a 4+ star review isn't always what it seems:

tornadoguard_2x.png

Last edited:
If you review a show or movie and try to warn people about the unbelievably intense, error-based, hate-driven, annoying political or social preaching, you can expect to get a message about hate, saying your review was deleted. But if you say it was what you loved about the movie, you're golden. So don't trust movie reviews. This also applies to bad products that were designed with politics, not quality or effectiveness, as the primary goal.

I don’t think you’re allowed to use the phrase “it’s ****”. It’s why few of my honest reviews even get published, even though they are 100% accurate. Honesty isn’t compatible with the sparkly rainbow-coloured pixie dust sprinkled all over happy-ever-after Webland, a place where artificial consumers are all so pleased with the **** they bought, hook, line and sinker. If your review isn’t toeing a line for the narrative propping up the model shared spoils of daylight hoodwinkery, you’re categorised as “non compliant” and erased from the platform like a real consumer. I guess the best advice is loosely assume all online reviews are BS and do what people did back in the olden days, ask a real consumer who you can trust. Priceless.

And Gone....
They took it down again with the same reason:
1706188577280.png

Guess I'll have to rewrite it again. I'll leave out the "Not quality craftsmanship", should I leave anything else out, should I leave out the pic with the CIP Film tube?

I am more numb to this now than angry, but I do want some kind of review posted.

Thanks,

And Gone....
They took it down again with the same reason:
View attachment 840007
Guess I'll have to rewrite it again. I'll leave out the "Not quality craftsmanship", should I leave anything else out, should I leave out the pic with the CIP Film tube?

I am more numb to this now than angry, but I do want some kind of review posted.

Thanks,

I guess if floats your boat to keep trying more power to ya. But, maybe the multiple attempts have now tripped some other flag and it just ain't happenin'.

Leave out the comment about the sticker.. it is not important.

Condense your writeup... a lot. Stick to the basics of this purchase and not your history with the company or how your evening unfolded. You will lose readers with so lengthy of a review/rant "TLDR"

I know you had a terrible experience and want to emphasise the point, but how this affected your evening or party is not relevant and gives them more opportunity to remove the review.

Was the company contacted and did the company correct the problem? That is probably all that Amazon cares about. If you did not reach out to the supplier and give them a chance to correct the failed part then they will have power over your verified purchase.

a place where artificial consumers are all so pleased with the **** they bought
"Right next to the bed there's usually a dresser or a bureau of some kind, and there's no room for your stuff on it. Somebody else's s*** is on the dresser. Have you noticed that their stuff is s*** and your s*** is stuff? God! And you say, "Get that s*** off of there and let me put my stuff down!"" -George Carlin

GOAT (Greats of all time... there are too many to only have 1)

Edit to add George Carlin for anyone who did not get it

Just say the PRV leaked as soon as you hooked it up and nothing that you tried would stop it. Leave out everything else.

BTW, did you return the product for a refund?

interesting. I've given reviews, good and bad and not seen any rejections. But I don't track all I've submitted.

Just say the PRV leaked as soon as you hooked it up and nothing that you tried would stop it. Leave out everything else.

BTW, did you return the product for a refund?
I have started the return for a refund, is this a bad thing?

I will as both you and @Mr. Vern said, keep it short and sweet. I always thought the more detail (some personal) would be more convincing to readers, and has more of an effect on buyers decisions. May be I'm wrong.

Thank you for your advice.

I have started the return for a refund, is this a bad thing?
No. I've read plenty of reviews that mention returning the item. Even written a couple.
I always thought the more detail (some personal) would be more convincing to readers, and has more of an effect on buyers decisions.
Yeah I understand why you want to provide more detail, but at this point you just want to let other buyers know that the PRV might leak on them.

So this is my new review, no pictures or video. Let's see what happens, see if I'm locked out for leaving a review on this product.

I would not recommend this product to anyone.

The issue I had is that the PRV (pressure relief valve) leaks badly. The minute I taped the keg I could hear hissing from the valve. I attempted multiple times to correct the issue but even after cleaning and reassembling, it still leaked.

Returning.

Thanks

Back