Bottom draining electric HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaudP

A curiosity turned obsession.
Reaction score
I've been home brewing for about 3 years now and the generosity of the brewers community is probably what kept me going. The incredible online ressources and the generosity of people that take the time to answer questions that have been asked countless times makes it possible for people with no relevant experience or trade (like me) to embark on this journey.

I started with a turkey frier and quickly went to a BrewZilla. The fact that I want to share the beer I make with a lot of people (softball team, football buddies, etc. ) and that work leaves me limited time to brew made me want to move to bigger batches. So I started planning a DIY eHERMS system 18 months ago. It's got its maiden voyage last week with a 40 litres (10 gallons) batch of Brulosophy's Tinny Bottom Pale Ale. The brew day went without any problem and the system performed even better than I thought.

I'll try to find a way to share my process not because I feel I gain the authority to tell people what to do, but mostly so others can learn from my mistakes and from what went well. Writing this post is just a way to get me going. It might end up being a blog, a comprehensive pdf or something else.

System outline :

10 gallons eHERMS
Vessels : 3 x 15G Sankey kegs upside down.
Elements : 2 x Blichmann boilcoil 15G 240v
Controllers : 2 x Blichmann BrewCommander 240v
Ventilation : DIY steam condenser
Drain : bottom draining by the sankey openings. (I would say it's by far the best part of the system)

IMG_6054.jpeg

IMG_8831.jpeg

F0F24855-5F88-4793-A66D-6AB4419E571F.jpg

Back