Hands on Review of Mark II Wort Pump- and Flow Test Data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently did a hands-on review of the Mark II wort pump sold at Pro Flow Dynamics. One thing people should be aware of is there is more than one "Mark II" or "MK II" wort pump out there, and it's easy to get the two crossed up. One version just has an IPX2 water resistance rating, meaning it can only handle drips of water on it. The one sold through PFD has an IP44 rating, meaning it's certified to be ok with splashes of water on it. So that's a significant difference to me. The flow rates of these 2 pumps is similar though. I assume the difference is probably an extra o-ring somewhere.

The other thing that's hard/impossible to understand is how to correlate pump specs to what you need in your personal brewing system. The pump "head" spec tells you how capable it is at pushing wort through your system. And although you can find data for pressure drop for various lengths of hose, and you can calculate the lift your pump needs to do in your system, there isn't data for chillers. For my review, I took flow measurements (time to fill 1 gallon pitcher) in my system with and without my Exchilerator Maxx CFC. It went from 3.6 GPM without the chiller, down to 0.9 GPM with the chiller.

The pump label has it rated at max head of 3.4 m (11.2 ft) and a max capacity of 19 L/min (5 GPM).

Every pump is going to have a different head vs. flow curve, and each brewing system is going to be a bit unique in layout. But I found from looking up various pressure drop calculations for standard tubing, that the length of hose is minor in the effect on limiting your pump flow. The big ticket items are the chillers.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/12/hands-on-review-mark-ii-homebrew-pump-w-stainless-head.html

Latest posts

Back