Interesting pump flow discovery/idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dzimm27: If your goal is to effect a tempature drop from 190 to 145 during mash, have you by any chance tried just tried circulating your 190° wert without the CFC in the loop to see how much heat all that pretty stainless steel hardware will shed into the ambient environment? It might be that a box fan blowing on your equipment will provide the temperature drop you need in an acceptable time frame. Try with a load of water for a simple test.
Well, my initial goal was to be able to do a temp drop during mash - which I can definitely achieve quickly with the counterflow chiller. Without it (now that I have it), anything but CFC would be too slow! It is so FAST!

Well, my initial goal was to be able to do a temp drop during mash - which I can definitely achieve quickly with the counterflow chiller. Without it (now that I have it), anything but CFC would be too slow! It is so FAST!
What's your reasoning for a temp drop during the mash? You cannot reactivate enzymes after they have been denatured.

Brew on :mug:

What's your reasoning for a temp drop during the mash? You cannot reactivate enzymes after they have been denatured.

Brew on :mug:
I brew with gluten free grains (for my wife who is celiac) so I need to add additional enzymes as I brew. My older school gluten free doctrine had an initial gelatinization/cereal mash at 190 with Termamyl L, then drop to 145 and add Ondea Pro and SEBAmyl L, then raise up to 190 again. This is completely foreign to barley brewers of course.

The newer school of gluten free brewing involves a rising step mash from 125 - 145 - 175 with Ondea Pro and Ceremix Flex (being the enzyme that avoids the need for the cereal mash) added at the beginning. I am adapting to “new school” but not yet hitting my numbers as I expected with “old school”. I started building this system during “old school” methodology.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything, but why would you include the CFC in the path at all during a mash? Currently, I use camlocks and only put my CFC in the path in the last 15-20 mins of my boil. I've bought some 3-way valves from @Bobby_M for my next system that I'm currently building to solve that.
@Bobby_M im looking for a 3way TC so my spike solo doesnt drip disconnecting my quick connects to put chiller on last 5 min of boil then switching back.. please tell me you have a 1.5" TC 3 way with the inner diameter the same as what Spike uses for their flow and elbow. im not home but i think 1" ID? cant find one lol

Yea I've seen those. It appears to be 1.5" bore as well I gotta get up and measure spikes but I think they use 1" conduit on their 1.5" tri clamp fittings

Just measured a spike 1.5" TC 90 and it is a bit over .8" ID. The QD 1.5" TC fittings measure .5" ID to connect to the silicone hoses.

Amazon has one too just late Nov and Dec delivery so not end of world. I can just disconnect hoses for first two brews.

Amazon.com 1". So .87" inside if that's what spike is using

Last edited:
Back