1 Packet of Saflager 34/70 or 2 packets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGB

Reaction score
Here's my dilemna. I want to brew two lagers this weekend (my first lagers) and I bought 2 11.5g packets of Saflager w-34/70 yeast. Some have recommended pitching two packets into a 5 gallon batch, and officially the Fermentis spec indicates that 1 packet should be fine.

If I use both packets for one lager then my chest fermenter is going to be tied up at lager temperatures (50-55F) for at least 3-6 weeks... so I can't go with the Ale yeast for my other kit until then.

What do you home brew pros think? Should I make both batches or use both yeast packets in one batch and wait on the other batch?

As always Thanks!:mug:

I did 10 gallons of Munich Helles recently, pitched 4 packets of 34/70. As I recall that is what it called for. According to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html is was between 3 & 4 packets. Don't scrimp on yeast for a Lager, you will regret underpitching.

@Samc Thanks. I'll play it safe and use both packets on one batch. Maybe I'll pick up some more lager yeast (34/70) for another batch tomorrow.

@Mr Bell. I have not boiled the wort yet. I'll know the OG in about 1-2 hours. Is there enough difference that knowing the OG will help determine if I need one or two packets? My estimated (SWAG) OG is 1.045 - 1.050.

@Samc Thanks. I'll play it safe and use both packets on one batch. Maybe I'll pick up some more lager yeast (34/70) for another batch tomorrow.

@Mr Bell. I have not boiled the wort yet. I'll know the OG in about 1-2 hours. Is there enough difference that knowing the OG will help determine if I need one or two packets? My estimated (SWAG) OG is 1.045 - 1.050.

Yes, Samc mentioned this earlier, the pitching rate calculator on www.mrmalty.com (which is Jamil Z's website) is a great tool to determine the amount of yeast needed , dry or liquid (starter volume or # of packs), ale or lager. I used it for what you described and it figured 20 grams of dry yeast (for a lager), or 1.8, 11.5g packs. So 2 packs should be good. (BTW, for 1.045 16 grams)

Update. I pitched the 2 packets of 34/70 Saflager at 70F. My O.G. was 1.045 and Mr. Malty suggests 1.6 packets for this. So thanks for the tips. :mug:

I hope I can hit my target FG of 1.006.

Time for me to drink one of my green stouts. :)

Back