Who else uses 34/70 on the regular?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could never get 34/70 to work for me up until the last few times I used it. Was able to get a 3rd place medal at SNERC this year with a German Pilsner. Brewing it again today!

I know people ferment it warm, but my best luck with 34/70 has been start at low temps and ramp up to finish.

Alot of U.K. breweries follow this same fashion, only with ale yeast

Agreed. Even "American" lager yeast, like Wyeast 2007 is German originating.

I want to do my usual Mexican lagers with 34/70 soon. I usually use Omega Mexi lager or Wyeast 2007 and they make great Mexi lagers.
I feel like 2007 is more like 34/70 than the 2124 but haven’t used it in 6+ years, or even properly back then.

I’m making an IPA with the 34/70 starter method this weekend. Pitch at 66, temp set at 68. Not a Cold IPA!

I feel like 2007 is more like 34/70 than the 2124 but haven’t used it in 6+ years, or even properly back then.
I love the wy2007, it's a great yeast for Mexican lagers, schwarzbier, pilsner. Haven't tried it in helles, but I think with the right water profile it could be OK. I have brewed a dortmunder with it and it turns out a lot hoppier than normal, which is fine for the style. It does ferment pretty crisp and dry. But later in the spring, I'm definitely using 34/70 and not messing with shipping yeast. Haven't used 34/70 in a couple years.

S-23 is great too. Best lager I've produced to date. Fermented under pressure and it was crystal clear in 9 days. 34/70 is taking a month to 6 weeks to drop clear for me. I don't use finings
I usually use S-23 and just used 34/70 for the first time on my current batch carbonating up now. I let it sit undisturbed in the fermentor for 3 weeks (after moving from the cold area) and was a little shocked that it still hadn't gotten very clear. I bottled it anyway. Oh well, it will eventually drop clear in the bottle

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with this strain at higher temps? The specs say that it works clean up to 72F so I wanted to try at my room temps, no pressure, at 66F or thereabouts. I do have a fridge but its in basement and I dont want to carry a glass carboy downstairs. Getting to old for that crap. This is the whole reason this strain intrigued me in the first place. Later when its in the keg, no problem carrying that thing down to properly lager in the fridge.

Anyone have any experience with this strain at higher temps? The specs say that it works clean up to 72F so I wanted to try at my room temps, no pressure, at 66F or thereabouts. I do have a fridge but its in basement and I dont want to carry a glass carboy downstairs. Getting to old for that crap. This is the whole reason this strain intrigued me in the first place. Later when its in the keg, no problem carrying that thing down to properly lager in the fridge.
I have used it at @64 or so. As it fermented it reach 68-69F. I kept it under pressure the whole time to keep esters down. I was really surprised how clean it was and it lacked the sulfur that comes with lower temperatures. I also fermented a pale ale with S189 at 65F, no pressure and it turned out really clean.

I wouldn't hesitate using this yeast at @64-65F. It's really clean with pressure, but I suspect it's clean without, maybe a little lemon or white grape in the ester profile without pressure.

not sure if someone else mentioned this but cellarscience GERMAN is repackaged 34/70 at half the price

i brewed a side by side pilsner with GERMAN vs BAJA both at 54 degrees and the GERMAN was much cleaner

i got a lager on this GERMAN right now at 58 and it seems to love that temp.

prost!

Back