Kegland Oxebar corny kegs 20L/5.2gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corncob

Reaction score
These are on sale at Morebeer for $28, I think. I could not stand it. Review to follow....
IMG_20240518_124820660_HDR.jpg

Seems like a pretty good deal. Kinda funny that I'm now considering these big ones after kvetching for a couple of years about when the small ones were going to be available in the US.
same

i like the little ones a lot. if these were just 3 inches shorter i would def get to fit in my 4.3 cu ft fridges

actually i just realized these would make really sweet pressure fermenters.

trigger pulled in 3,2,1

edit : i couldnt resist i just grabbed 2. im going to pressure ferment in one and condition a stout in the other for a few months.

its a really great price. it comes with floating dip tube and carb caps!

Last edited:
It looks like the bottom is hemispherical and the black (nylon?) base is glued on.
IMG_20240519_185523614_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240519_185430754_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240519_185442199.jpg

The lid is 2-piece--the handle/cage is snapped into the lid proper. The lid seals with a lip seal, I think. It comes with carb caps and a floating dip tube. The prv is green, for some reason. I think it's 30 or 35 psi, just like the one on the fermzilla (which is red).

Thanks I know I saw that video but that has to do with cleaning a kreusen ring in a narrow necked PET vessel.

That’s a separate subject but basically warm pbw blast solves that issue.

The prv is green, for some reason. I think it's 30 or 35 psi, just like the one on the fermzilla (which is red).
They're color coded:
yellow = 17 PSI
red = 35 PSI
green = 65 PSI
gray = 100 PSI

The 4 and 8 liter oxebar kegs are only rated for 58 PSI, so the tapping head for those comes with a red PRV.

Kegland don't recommend that
Williams Brewing lists the item as "Oxebar 20L Amber PET Keg & Pressure Fermenter Tank" and has the video on the product page. Actually says that it can be used as a pressure fermenter but they have other products better suited for that (i.e., Fermzilla; edit - the all rounder pressure fermenter kit is also on sale for just under $100).

Last edited:
They're color coded:
yellow = 17 PSI
red = 35 PSI
green = 65 PSI
gray = 100 PSI

The 4 and 8 liter oxebar kegs are only rated for 58 PSI, so the tapping head for those comes with a red PRV.

Williams Brewing lists the item as "Oxebar 20L Amber PET Keg & Pressure Fermenter Tank" and has the video on the product page. Actually says that it can be used as a pressure fermenter but they have other products better suited for that (i.e., Fermzilla; edit - the all rounder pressure fermenter kit is also on sale for just under $100).
yeah im already dreaming of my first pressure ferment.

this opens up a lot of options for me.

this is a very low budget pressure fermenter.

i figure it will easily fit in a 5 gallon bucket which i can fill with water and ice packs and wrap it in a towel for swamp cooler. this will bring me down to about 62 degrees in my cellar which i like for ales but not for lagers. this will free up my fementing chambers for more lagers.

then for cold crash i will just pack with ice for 24 hours.

i figure i can get 4.5 gallons of wort in there. i have plenty of other mini kegs for the other .5 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon batch.

im going to use the gas out as a blow off and then spund after the kreusen drops.

No, the small ones take PCO38 caps and these are PCO1881. But they do not need a separate tapping head. A lid assembly with handles, QDs, 65 PSI PRV and floating diptube is included.
it lookslike 45 mm ? but looks on video like 38

1716204980882.png

from more beer

Last edited:
I kegged a batch last night, after disassembling, soaking, and reassembling everything.

Obvious: The hardware on these is common with the other kegland products. There is definitely no scrubbing to clean this thing--the mouth is quite small. It's light as a feather and seems delicate when empty. Definitely store it with some pressure to prevent collapsing. As others have pointed out, definitely empty a full one gently to avoid collapsing.

Bad: the size--I can fit exactly one of these in the mini fridge that will just barely hold 2 corniest.

Good: the size--I didn't measure (I will at some point) but I suspect these actually hold the full nominal 5.2 gallons. The seals--unlike those on a corny, these will seal completely without positive internal pressure. This is not a huge deal, but can come in handy for people naturally carbing (cask conditioning) in them, which I am.

One potential problem I have found with my fermzilla, that I assume will affect this leg as well, is that when chilling, differential thermal contraction causes the carb caps to loosen a little. I can't say it's caused a leak for me, but I periodically reach in and hand tighten when the temp is falling.

Bad: the size--I can fit exactly one of these in the mini fridge that will just barely hold 2 corniest.
This is why I haven't pulled the trigger. They're both taller than a standard ball lock corny and wider than a standard pin lock corny. That, plus I already have too many kegs.

Are they tippy like the smaller ones or does the base keep them standing upright?

That is a great value. I am trying to figure out if this could be used as a dry hop keg with their hop bong device. I am thinking ferment, transfer to the OX keg, drop the hops in, transfer out to serving keg. Yeast stays clean for repitching in the fermenter, beer stays clean with the hops staying in the OX keg.

I am not sure if all of the connections will support it but it would be a nice set up. Will research...

Here's another positive for the humble keg conditioner: at low carbonation levels, you can get a feel for progress by squeezing.

i got two of these coming today.
i mini keg. the biggest fridge i have is a 4.2 madea. un modified. it will only take a corny if i shave off the doors which i wont so i was reluctant to buy these.

i descided it was a no brainer because:

1) it comes with floating dip tube two carb caps and a green prv. at least 20 dollar value. if you sign up to more beer they give you 10 percent off coupon. so you are getting the keg for a bout 5 dollars!

2) if in the future i ever get a full size kegerator i can fit this in there.

3) i am planning on pressure fermentingin lagers in one at ale temps and then transferring to the other on a bed of purged hop pellets. then out to 2-3 minis and / or a few 4 liter oxebars for lagering. psyched

the only downside i see is the narrow neck for cleaning and as MAC just pointed out the tippiness.

in my excitement to grab these i violated my PET keg rule of maximum height to width ratio.

im still trying to figure out some sort of temperature control for now .

They are not tippy. Empty with a transfer line attached, mine didn't want to tip over at all. I think this is much improved over the smaller ones.

But...

That broad heavy base holds and releases a little liquid as things move and stretch. I forgot about this until just now. If you dribble beer or sanitizer or water down the side, it might be held up in the base. And you will get a little puddle under the keg at some point. It's not a huge deal--volume is on the order of tablespoons. But I noticed it.

I almost passed entirely because of the size, but I remembered that I actually prefer to keg condition anyway and therefore will have one of the pair sitting outside the fridge for a week or two anyway. We'll see how it goes.

I ordered 2 and they were delivered today. I didn’t realize they were so much bigger. These are next to a standard 5 gallon pin lock. If space is a concern, these might not work for everyone. I just assumed they were the same size as a corney.
I like the idea of being able to see the level of the contents.
IMG_2120.jpeg

I have always been limited in how many cornies will fit in X refrigerator by their diameter, not their height. Ironically, if these were the same volume but just a little taller and thinner, they would fit my fridge much better.

Well, it's not exactly like they're trying to hide the dimensions. They're right there in the product description:
  • Height: 25.1"
  • Diameter: 9.2"
  • Volume: 5.28 Gallons
Like I said, taller than a standard ball lock and wider than a standard pin lock.

Here's another positive for the humble keg conditioner: at low carbonation levels, you can get a feel for progress by squeezing.
i squeeze mine all of the time .😉

got mine today they are huge. taller than i expected but not tippy at all as stated above. and i dont think they are any more flimsy than my fermzilla.

they seem to be pretty good quality . they are short enough to fit inside my 4.2 but thats not what i am planning to use these for. looks like it will make a fine pressure fermenter, i will brew this weekend and see.

these came with no instructions. how long should you cut the dip tube it is very long. i saw a youtube video where a guy reccomended to cut them so the ball and float just barely dangle at the very bottom. is this right?

also the kegs came with a white stick on label. it is not graduated but has a green line at one end and a red line with arrow at the other. does anyone know what this is for. i assume its to write numbers on for gallons or liters as a graduation mark. maybe the red line goes towards the top as a maximum fill line ? idk.

anyone have any ideas or seen instructions.

The label is graduated with white numbers, I think. I didn't fool with them because (for now at least) I don't really care exactly how much is in a keg. If I were going to apply the sticker, I would carefully measure two gallons into the keg, level it, mark the top, and index the sticker's 2gal mark to my mark.

No way to use the hop bong and Kegland said it was unlikely they would make an adapter. I will look at modifying a sixtel or something.
What you need is a buddy with a 3d printer and some technical sense. Know any engineers?

I think I will go the sixtel route which will allow for the use of the 2" TC hop bong easily. They are available on Facebook for about the same money. Although I will need to have some welding done to add another ferule but that is how it goes.

I think I will go the sixtel route which will allow for the use of the 2" TC hop bong easily. They are available on Facebook for about the same money. Although I will need to have some welding done to add another ferule but that is how it goes.
That's the right way to do it.

1716583194474.png

my 25 dollar 5.2 gallon pressure fermenter . love it.

so much that i got two - lol

i like how you can see the floating dip tube in relation to the liquid level and adjust as necessary with ballast if needed. also came with an extra 2 ft of food grade silicon diptube which i happen to need for my multitude of growlers/ mini spear kegs

i dont find the sides to be flimsy at all .

cant wait to see how this goes.

I have a gripe: there's no way to attach the duotight flow control ball lock with a directly connected nuka tap mini faucet to this keg. The geometry of angled posts and the cage make it impossible. This is a disappointment--I've been really pleased with serving beer directly from my fermzilla using this setup, but I'll have to set up a mounted faucet with draft lines, etc. for this.

Before these came out, I was planning to get a second all rounder and put a collar on another mini fridge. This keg doesn't require a collar, which is nice, but I'll have to mount an external tap. I much prefer the tap inside the fridge--it cuts down on foam and the temptation for little would-be cellarmen to pour a point on the floor.

I guess I could try a cobra tap. I've never used one, but the internet seems to think they leak and break quickly. Has anybody had good luck using one long term?

Edit: upon further thought, this might be easily done by adding a carb cap tee....

IMG_20240525_082427041_HDR.jpg

If the assembly stacks up so the tap clears the cage, it looks like the whole thing will still fit in a 4 cu ft mini fridge height-wise. We'll see.

Last edited:
1716825835085.png

corncob , any C- clamp will work on the fly.

btw an ispindel easily fits in the mouth of the 20 l oxebar ..... but doesnt come out so easily . lol dont ask me how i know.
the only way i was able to get it out was to fill the 20 liter all the way up until the spindel "floats" out.

This works perfectly: the nuka tap mini/flow control ball lock assembly clears the cage and keg shoulder when a carbonation cap tee is inserted between the keg and the carbonation cap. I sealed off the other outlet on the tee with a 28 mm cap that came on a fermzilla lid. I hate foam and I hate cleaning lines....
IMG_20240529_175420790.jpg

those tee pieces are the ultimate brewery accessory if you are kegging. they have so many uses.

btw this is working perfect so far as a pressure fermenter .

1717070228394.png

the only issue i see is cleaning the kreusen ring. i am hoping hot oxy or pbw will blast it off like it does with my fermzilla without scrubbing.

the neck is not that narrow and worse comes to worse i am thinking of soft carboy cleaner like this :
https://www.morebeer.com/products/carboy-cleaner.html
1717070113724.png

so far this is a very good PET pressure rated vessel.

Back