you still use hops in your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I've found the added mallard flavors really helps the body of the starter."

Quack.

Eye of newt, toe of dog, chilled with baboons' blood.... Hadn't thought of using virgin mothers' breast milk, maybe in my next milk stout....

Toe of dog will get you in the ballpark but if you really want to nail it, you should only use the dew claw.

I strain them out and do a 20-30min decoction while I use campden tablets to sterilize the remaining soup. I've found the added maillard flavors really helps the body of the starter. Once that's done add it to my hand-hammered artisnal copper coolship solera which has been behind the same Norwegian sourdough bakery for 25 years. For every starter I add I then draw a blended fresh pitch for the Truest of True Ales.

I'm excited about @Kev211 's suggestion of the double-toasted malt. I think that's just what the recipe is looking for!

Some HBTers will actually give this a shot and declare it the only way to brew from now on.

Instead of using gypsum I have been using pulverized bones from long dead, dug up Abbey Monks. I find an extra “trueness” when adjusting my brewing water in this manner.

Instead of using gypsum I have been using pulverized bones from long dead, dug up Abby Monks. I find an extra “trueness” when adjusting my brewing water in this manner.

Just don't call it a "Trappist" beer. They enforce those trademarks. But "Long Dead, Dug Up Monk Bones Abbey Ale" has a certain ring to it.

it's funny how people get all bent out of shape when i just try to give some advice.

all im saying is that in major homebrew contests True Beer wins every time for aroma, taste and overall. No hops is the secret that the pros use. I will be posting my recipe soon.

Do you mean major homebrew contests like the AHA National Hombrew Competition? You know the largest homebrew competition in the world. They just set a new record of 8,618 entries. The best of show etnry (best of all 8,618) was an American wild ale, 100% brett, and 7 oz of hops in a 10 gal batch.

The 2016 NHC best of show was a hefeweizen that used 1 oz of hops in 5 gal batch. hefe recipe

Best Commercial Beer 2017: Bell's Two Hearted Pale Ale. From the brewer themselves, they use centennial hops. This clone recipe was provided by Bell's and it uses 5.9 oz hops per 5 gal batch. Bell's recipe

Before that Russian River's Pliny the Elder won the competition 8 years in a row. It uses a whopping 12.5 oz of hops in a 6 gal batch. Pliny recipe

So what major competitions are you refering? Which 'pro' brewers don't use hops?

Looking forward to this recipe, that you'll post soon.

Sadly 21stA already has Monk's Blood, which I can only assume means that they also hold the rights to ales brewed with any other Monk extracts or rendered Monk bits, so we'll have to come up with a different name...

Do you mean major homebrew contests like the AHA National Hombrew Competition? You know the largest homebrew competition in the world. They just set a new record of 8,618 entries. The best of show etnry (best of all 8,618) was an American wild ale, 100% brett, and 7 oz of hops in a 10 gal batch.

The 2016 NHC best of show was a hefeweizen that used 1 oz of hops in 5 gal batch. hefe recipe

Best Commercial Beer 2017: Bell's Two Hearted Pale Ale. From the brewer themselves, they use centennial hops. This clone recipe was provided by Bell's and it uses 5.9 oz hops per 5 gal batch. Bell's recipe

Before that Russian River's Pliny the Elder won the competition 8 years in a row. It uses a whopping 12.5 oz of hops in a 6 gal batch. Pliny recipe

So what major competitions are you refering? Which 'pro' brewers don't use hops?

Looking forward to this recipe, that you'll post soon.

Don't hold your breath waiting for #fredthecat to respond. That's the MO of people in the fake news business. They spout their dubious claims, then quickly retreat back into the woodwork the moment anyone asks for proof.

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Praise be to Abby Monks, founder of the one True Beer(TM), savior of those once thought doomed to forever imbibe macro swill! She who is the brewer of the True, holder of the divine fungal catalyst, that which brings the magical foam. and detractor of all things luponic in in nature!

Thanks and praise to fredthecat, that great proselytizer of the cause of Abby Monks and the way of the True, he the devout believer and sharer and missionary of the way of the True Beer(TM). We aspire to your conviction!

Great acclamation for the ways of the True and thanks be to Abby Monks and fredthecat for revealing to we humble brewers the mysteries and secrets of the ducks, and the CVBM(TM), and the elderberry forges and those great many other True rituals to be held and practiced by the devout and humble followers, we who some day hope and dream to achieve the one True Beer(TM)!

May we all some day rejoice in the sound of the death knell of that base and foul and ultimately UnTrue weed, and all else luponic, once and forever, and pay homage to the True ways, at once known and unknowable, and be appeased.

Thanks and praise to fredthecat, that great proselytizer of the cause of Abby Monks and the way of the True, he the devout believer and sharer and missionary of the way of the True Beer(TM). We aspire to your conviction!

Woe unto us! How quickly the faithful can wander from the fold!

oldy, but curious what are some flavour descriptors for it? am really considering doing it

Those among us who remain faithful must band together to preserve the rich heritage of this once noble and proud brewing tradition.

i have kind of been doing my own thing for a long time, really getting into True Beer. I haven't even thought of hops in ages. Do you STILL use hops???

I only brew True Manly Man bear.

None of that Sissy boy girlie man beer for me.
No way.

Only True Manly Man beer, and that uses hops, lots of 'em. :mug:

This is the type of insight HBT is famous for! I would have never considered toasting my stones over the sweet flames of elderberry, but that sounds incredible.

The next time I polish up the old decoction stones I will be sure to harvest some elderberry boughs first.

I find it hurts to much to toast my stones!

Instead of using gypsum I have been using pulverized bones from long dead, dug up Abbey Monks. I find an extra “trueness” when adjusting my brewing water in this manner.

I started using the scrap pieces of drywall laying outside of Home Depot, the employees were happy i was cleaning them up for free.... suckers.....

Wait.... what?

I started using the scrap pieces of drywall laying outside of Home Depot, the employees were happy i was cleaning them up for free.... suckers.....

Wait.... what?

I tried using drywall in a beer once, but everyone said it had a cardboard taste. I tried to explain that it is True Beer(TM), but they all walked out. I guess they just weren't ready for it.

I live in Colorado...would our State plant be for bittering or dual purpose in lieu of those old, nasty hops?

Perhaps the OP has first hand knowledge which is why we get crazy ass, somewhat random posts?!

Could you send me some for testing? I like to hop the heck out of my IPAs so a pound or two should be a start. Results will be posted here:D

I'm still not convinced. I can take a picture of a beer and post it on hbt too. Recipe or that's a quadruple dry hopped triple IPA

Dear everyone trying to ask serious questions or reason with him,

Stop it.

Sincerely,

-Worlds greatest troll wrangler

Spot on. Remember Altraz? Some trolls are just people with delusions joining in to quell their anxieties, until the nice young men in their clean white coats show up, so-to-speak. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden posts stopped. I am amazed this thread continues to amuse, but here I am taking a look at the train wreck.

Dear everyone trying to ask serious questions or reason with him,

Stop it.

Sincerely,

-Worlds greatest troll wrangler

You heathen! The true beer Messiah has arrived and now has shown proof of his /her/its greatness, do you still doubt him/her/it?

I for one will be flushing my stash of hops down the toilet and follow greatness!

End of story. True Beer.

Dude, that isn't even your pic! You pulled that off of pintrest.

Anybody can right click that image and google search it. If you want to actually post a genuine pic, do so. It's easy to cross reference if you don't.

That picture is of a Founders All Day IPA Clone HomeBrew Recipe. Apparently even you can't visually discern a true beer from non! You do know what hops are, don't you? Do you even make beer?

Dude, that isn't even your pic! You pulled that off of pintrest.

Anybody can right click that image and google search it. If you want to actually post a genuine pic, do so. It's easy to cross reference if you don't.

That picture is of a Founders All Day IPA Clone HomeBrew Recipe. Apparently even you can't visually discern a true beer from non! You do know what hops are, don't you? Do you even make beer?

How dare you?! Fredthecat (PBUH) had opened our eyes to the glory of True Beer (TM) and you choose to blaspheme Him with talk of Pinterest! There is one beer but True Beer (TM) and Fred is its prophet.

Fred willing, I will martyr myself for The Cause. Deth to false beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back