you still use hops in your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i have kind of been doing my own thing for a long time, really getting into True Beer. I haven't even thought of hops in ages. Do you STILL use hops???

i have kind of been doing my own thing for a long time, really getting into True Beer. I haven't even thought of hops in ages. Do you STILL use hops???

Yep, always will, and lots of them. Love the hops!

Yes, I still use hops. I cannot say i honestly have thought about not using them.

As beer was developed through the ages lots of different plants were tried to get the bittering that offsets the sweetness of the beer. Some were better than others. Some were mildly poisonous. Hops came out the winner. That's why most of us use hops in our beer, the combination of bitterness and flavors fits our palates. If you really like your beer with other plants, feel free to experiment. Try to keep from poisoning yourself and others.

In my opinion every level of processing that hops undergo takes away some of the nuance of their flavor.

Fresh picked to dried whole cones
whole cone to leaf
leaf to pellets
and lastly there is hop extract

Little to perhaps no impact is going to be noticed at the bitterness addition (60 minutes or more remaining in the boil) level. The real difference comes from flavor, aroma, and dry hopping additions.

All im saying is that i reserve a certain level of purity for my True Beer. Not being judgemental of whatever some people choose to make. :)

All im saying is that i reserve a certain level of purity for my True Beer. Not being judgemental of whatever some people choose to make. :)

Of course you were being judgmental. It's clear in the use of the word "STILL" in your original post, as well as the title of the thread.

It's just a troll, as you well know. If it wasn't, you'd be explaining what you do, why you do it, and the result. Absent that, just a troll.

As beer was developed through the ages lots of different plants were tried to get the bittering that offsets the sweetness of the beer. Some were better than others. Some were mildly poisonous. Hops came out the winner. That's why most of us use hops in our beer, the combination of bitterness and flavors fits our palates. If you really like your beer with other plants, feel free to experiment. Try to keep from poisoning yourself and others.

not only do hops add bittering and aroma, more importantly they add the benefit of their antiseptic qualities.

Its not a gruit. It is beer that is down to the bare bones of what beer is and yhen ratcheted up again in my own style. You can be critical all you want. I cant really release my details as they are confidential in preparation for my launch.

You can cut the condescending tone any time 2015 join daters

Its not a gruit. It is beer that is down to the bare bones of what beer is and yhen ratcheted up again in my own style. You can be critical all you want. I cant really release my details as they are confidential in preparation for my launch.

Just because you are not aware you are being a troll does not mean you are not a troll. This is a place for conversation.

You realize that your thread title, and tone has been condescending since the first post right?

I sincerely hope you don't run your business (I assume by "launch" you are opening a business) with that same attitude. People don't generally take it well when you insult the way they do things and insinuate that they are somehow stuck in the past while your way is-and always has been-better.

You come across as arrogant, condescending, a little nutty, and troll-ish. I'm automatically imagining you in full stone age briton costume eating newt soup and calling it the "true life" while worshipping the sun and calling it the "true god" while you mock us city dwellers who have lost touch with our earth roots. I'll keep an open mind though, and see if you've really invented your own style rather than recreated a psudo-historic style and given it a new name.

No offense

I only brew with gypsy tears and hop leaf matter harvested from bear turds.

You still using modern ingredients? Pfff...

Mugwort grows wild in my yard, but I use hops, and have started growing my own hops. 11 varieties at the moment.

Are you referencing the historical connotation and use of the word "beer"? If so, see below from Martyn Cornell, a respected figure with regards to these topics.

But in short, the term beer was originally used to differentiate a hopped fermented malt drink (Beer) from those without hops (known as ale).

So yeah... if you are making a fermented malt beverage without hops, shouldn't you really be calling it "True Ale" if you insist on calling it something?

"Most (some) drinkers, I think, know that “ale” was originally the English name for an unhopped fermented malt drink, and beer was the name of the fermented malt drink flavoured with hops, a taste for which was brought to this country from the continental mainland about 1400. Some might be able to tell you that ale and beer then existed alongside each other as separate drinks for some time: but that eventually ale started being brewed with hops as well, and finally any difference between the two drinks disappeared, with “ale” and “beer” becoming synonyms. "

Link for more: http://zythophile.co.uk/2009/12/14/the-long-battle-between-ale-and-beer/

I only brew beer stirred with the House Staff, hardened in a fire burned on Spring Solstice in the moonlight and quenched with fairy tears, mashed in the dugout canoe used by 17 generation as a bathing vessel. The new age pure pitch yeast packs are for specious sophists and masqueraders.

the same thing he's trying to accomplish in the "show us your brew rig" thread. Making "friends".

I checked his posts there also and to me all signs point to dementia setting in. I volunteer at a memory care facility regularly and fred sounds just like some of them, so try not to be too hard on they guy. It can be a really tough time.

I checked his posts there also and to me all signs point to dementia setting in. I volunteer at a memory care facility regularly and fred sounds just like some of them, so try not to be too hard on they guy. It can be a really tough time.
****, did not see that coming, sorry.

Maybe it's virgin like olive oil. CBM has degrees of refinement measured in virginity. Gently pressed from a Cambodian (Khmer?) mother's breast without any additional processing, dissolvents, or preservatives CBM is categorized as 'extra virgin'. I've hear is like 22% Alpha acids with tons of myrecene oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back