Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessBrewing

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a dry hop schedule for a pale ale that just finished with primary fermentation. It's a Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo pale at about 30 IBUs. SG of 1.052 and finished at 1.009 with WLP051. I'll be kegging and serving it at an event on the 15th of September, so I have a little less than 2 weeks to decide my dry hopping and cold crashing schedule before kegging on or around the 10th.

I'm trying to decide which hops to dry hop with. I have 1 oz each of Centennial and Columbus on hand and I think they'd go well together, but I'm wondering if adding in 1-2 oz of Amarillo would be worth doing too? Or maybe skip the Centennial and just do Columbus and Amarillo? This is my first time dry hopping with Amarillo but from commercial offerings I know I can expect some grapefruit and citrus notes while the Columbus will be more dank and floral. Anyone else have some favorite dry hop combos with Columbus and/or Amarillo?

I'm also trying to decide if I want to dry hop in the keg or not. I normally do, but since the keg will be moved to another location before serving, I'm planning on kegging it after cold crash and then doing a closed transfer to another purged keg to get rid of as much sediment as possible. Seems like in that case it might be better to dry hop in primary before crashing instead?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Amarillo is awesome. Personally, I'd go with Amarillo and Centennial in equal parts and skip the Columbus entirely. I think it's a good hop in the boil but in the dry hop I find it somewhat overpowering and distracting from the fruitiness of Amarillo and Centennial. Also, I'd dry hop in the serving keg but I'd also bag it. Then it doesn't matter how much you move it around. That's my two cents.

Amarillo is awesome. Personally, I'd go with Amarillo and Centennial in equal parts and skip the Columbus entirely. I think it's a good hop in the boil but in the dry hop I find it somewhat overpowering and distracting from the fruitiness of Amarillo and Centennial. Also, I'd dry hop in the serving keg but I'd also bag it. Then it doesn't matter how much you move it around. That's my two cents.

Awesome thanks for the input. I think I'll pick some more Amarillo up tomorrow. I'm wondering if 2ozs of Amarillo will be too fruity in mid 5% abv pale. Especially since it was fermented with Cali V, which produces fruity esters.

Awesome thanks for the input. I think I'll pick some more Amarillo up tomorrow. I'm wondering if 2ozs of Amarillo will be too fruity in mid 5% abv pale.

It depends on your definition of "too fruity". :) Personally, I'm a total hop head. I spent a year trying to clone Bissell Brothers' Swish DIPA and, when I finally nailed it, it took a 7 oz whirlpool and 9 oz of dry hops in two stages for a 5 gallon, 8% beer. I'd do 2 oz of each in the dry hop but if you prefer yours toned down a little, you could start with 1 oz of each (or 2 oz of Amarillo) in the dry hop and still have a very nice and potent aroma and taste. If it doesn't come up to where you want it, repeat it.

It depends on your definition of "too fruity". :) Personally, I'm a total hop head. I spent a year trying to clone Bissell Brothers' Swish DIPA and, when I finally nailed it, it took a 7 oz whirlpool and 9 oz of dry hops in two stages for a 5 gallon, 8% beer. I'd do 2 oz of each in the dry hop but if you prefer yours toned down a little, you could start with 1 oz of each (or 2 oz of Amarillo) in the dry hop and still have a very nice and potent aroma and taste. If it doesn't come up to where you want it, repeat it.
Hi, would you be willing to share your swish recipe? I've been trying to nail this one down for a while. As well.

Latest posts

Back