Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast rinsing has been covered countless times inpodcasts, YouTube videos, and a number of websites. I have been rinsing yeast with very good success for several years. I seem to follow the same practices as shown in all of the above outlets.
Over the last year, I have started to switch out my glass carboys for the Better Bottles due to the weight saving and the safety of plastic over glass. I haul my carboys to the basement to ferment in the fridge I have set up with temp control. Overall, I have been happy with the Better Bottles even though they are a little on the small side. One of the advantages I have just figured out is the use of the Better Bottle racking adapter to harvest rinsed yeast.
As with most instructions out there I prep one gallon of water for 10 minutes, cover, and allow to cool to room temperature. Rack your beer from the Better Bottle as close to the bottom as possible. If you have never used the racking adapter you are missing out. It takes all the siphoning issues out of the picture.
Once your beer is out, pour the water you boiled and cooled into the fermenter and swirl until all the trub, yeast, and water are thoroughly mixed. Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed for about 20 minutes. You should start to see different layers starting to form.
thumb2_layers-197.jpg

At this point, you need to rotate the indicator to the middle of the center layer that holds all the good, clean yeast that we are looking for. You can see in the above pic that the racking adapter will be pulling yeast from the middle layer.
Yeast that have a high flocculation will not require a lot of time to settle. It is a matter of practice makes perfect (if there is such a thing in homebrewing). Just keep an eye on the layers and if you don't like the way it has settled just swirl it up again before you rack and try again.
I use pint jars that I sanitize with Star-San or Iodophor to rack the clean yeast in to. I fill four jars approximately 3/4 full.
thumb2_pintjars-198.jpg

Now that I have the yeast into the pint jars, I refrigerate until it is time to brew.
This is 30minutesafter racking. As you can see, the clean, white yeast is already starting to settle out. I also make sure to label the jars with the yeast number and date rinsed to keep things straight.
thumb2_cleanyeast2-199.jpg

The yeast strain will dictate the time it takes for the yeast to completely settle out. The more flocculant the yeast, the faster it will settle out and sometimes requires a little different process.
I will normally decant the water/wort off the top of the yeast and use two jars in a 2L starter for ales and all four jars in a 5L starter for lagers. I will usually only keep the yeast in the form for 4-6 weeks. If I have not used them by this time I just discard and start with a fresh yeast vile.
It sure seems easier then trying to decant from the carboy while trying not to "stir up" the gunk that settled at the bottom. As with most processes in homebrewing, you need to do what works for you, but if you are on the fence regarding Better Bottle I hope this has been helpful.
cleanyeast2-199.jpg

I don't understand the racking of the yeast in the carboy can you show a better pic of it. Is there something that you put in the carboy to drain out the beer other than a cane

The better bottle has the racking adapter installed. It allows you to rack the beer without a cane. Once the beer is racked off the yeast cake you can rinse and harvest the yeast.

I believe you're referring to a ported Better Bottle, vs the tradition non-ported version. In other words, if you check out the BB site you can see the difference: http://www.better-bottle.com
Personally I've avoided ported bottles due to the fear of potential contamination or oxidation, but I suppose it's safe enough for shorter fermentation periods, and likely not for any long term aging.

cant wait until i get my next paycheck. im going to invest in this set up purely for growing a super large culture of yeast. Hopedfully ill be able to farm enough of the strains i like for our club to have them in stock year round.

Does that valve come out of the ported better bottle? First time I've seen one of those,let alone with a level adjustment. I use a 1 gallon pickle jar & salsa jars for washing that work well.

The valve is very easy to remove from the bottle. It takes me about 5 min to disassemble and sanitize the valves (10 min if you count the 5 min soak in sanitizer). I usually do this while waiting for the wort to come to a boil in the kettle.
It just seems that it is easer for me. It might not be for everyone. I just like the fact that I can move the pickup inside the bottle to pull the yeast from the center and seem to get really clean yeast from the harvest.

I like the idea but it seems to me you could do the same thing in brew bucket.
After you pour out your beer pout in some water and let the "crud" settle and pour out the yeast....
DPB

You sure can. With a brew bucket not being clear you would be timing the harvest since you can not see the layers as they form. With the better bottle, or any clear vessel, you can see the layers as they form and harvest when you see the clean layer of yeast form between the trub on the bottom and the beer/water on the top.

msjulian - How do you sanitize your racking adapter/valve? I picked up three better bottles a while back, ported and have still been using my racking cane because the idea that it's been sitting around for anywhere from 3-8 weeks exposed always gives me pause.
I was just thinking about sanitizing the valve, flipping it up 180, putting sanitizer in a short length of hose and then sealing the hose with a plug.
I was so excited about getting these, and now can't shake the fear of contamination, so I need to come up with something - damn things were expensive ;)

I spray the spout with iodine solution and let it sit for 3-4 min and then rack the beer off. I then use the above procedures and rack the yeast off. I do spray it down again 3-4 min before I pull the yeast.

Back