Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I began washing and harvesting my own yeast about a year ago. I got excited and harvested 4 jars from 4 batches in the first month, leaving me with 16 jars of 4 different yeasts. Since I usually brew twice per month, I had a ton of yeast just sitting in my fridge. After using some of this stored (aka old) yeast in beers that came out less than perfect, I began tossing it - hours of work, down the drain. Then I had an idea - why can't I just harvest clean yeast directly from my starter? After trying out a few techniques, here's the process that seems most efficient:
Step 1: Make a starter (3 days prior to brewing) that is .5 liter larger than you need for your beer. Since the majority of 5 gallon batches require no more than a 1 liter starter, a standard 2000 mL flask or even gallon growler will work great. In the photo below, I needed a 2 L starter for a 10 gallon batch, so I made 2.5 L.
1-232.jpg

Step 2: A couple days after making your starter, sanitize a 500 mL (1 pint) mason jar using the sanitizer of your choice. I prefer Iodophor.
2-233.jpg

Step 3: Fill the sanitized mason jar directly from the starter - if you use a stir plate everything will be in suspension, otherwise shake it up a bit prior to pouring.
3-234.jpg

As you can see, I poured about 500 mL of wort/slurry from my starter into the mason jar. After just a few minutes, you can already see the creamy white and very clean yeast settling to the bottom of the jar.
4-235.jpg

Step 4: Place the capped jar in the fridge over night to crash the yeast.
If you plan to use the yeast within a week or so, you can decant the "beer" and pitch directly from this jar. However, if you like to use different yeasts and won't be returning to your freshly harvested yeast for awhile, you will want to store it in a more hospitable environment. Steps 5 and 6 address how to do this.
Step 5: Fill a 250 mL (1/2 pint) mason jar halfway with tap water then microwave it (without the lid!) for 2 minutes to sterilize and de-oxygenate the water.
5-236.jpg

Remove the very hot jar and put the lid on (using pot holders... it's HOT!), then shake it up to sanitize the lid with the boiling water. Let this sit over night to chill to room temp. I usually do this right after harvesting my yeast from the starter.
Step 6: The next day, decant about 80% of the beer off of the pre-harvested yeast in the larger mason jar, making sure to agitate to release the yeast from the bottom of the jar. Then simply pour the yeast directly into the previously boiled water in the smaller mason jar.
6-237.jpg

Cap tightly and place in the fridge. Within a couple days you will have very clear water on top of a clean and compact yeast cake. When you want to use this yeast, make a starter as usual, decanting most of the water off the yeast, leaving just enough to help break up the cake.
Some of the benefits I see to this method include:
  1. The yeast is un-hopped and as clean as it's ever going to be. In fact, this is basically how White Labs and Wyeast grow their yeast.
  2. Since you're only making one jar of yeast, you won't have to store a ton of yeast (some people won't like this point).
  3. You don't have to go through the "washing" process, which is a pain in the arse if you ask me.
  4. You can brew any beer you want, even a barley wine or RIS, and still harvest yeast, as you're getting the yeast prior to it fermenting the beer you will ultimately brew. I guess you will need a pretty large flask, though.
I hope this helps. I've used the same strain multiple times very successfully. I'll never go back to washing yeast again.
image-1-311.jpeg
image-310.jpeg

Cheers!
image-1-311.jpeg

I started brewing last September. When I made my first starter for my 2nd batch I thought of this, posted it on the forums asking if anybody else did it or if there was a reason not too and most of the replies were along the lines of, "why would you do that!?" Felt like a newbie doofus for asking...did it anyway, lol. Happy to find out it wasn't such a bad idea! Thanks for the vilification!
Cheers!
JB

@jbsayers - I'm glad you like the method! I just took a look at the thread you mentioned and noticed a friend of my (krispy3d) actually recommended you take a look at the original thread I started regarding harvesting from starters, which I posted a month prior to you. We must have been on a similar wavelength or something. Cheers!

I like this method, and have used something similar in the past. I do offer one suggestion: it may be a better plan to store in isotonic solution rather than tap water. The logic behind this is explained here (not my blog):
https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/yeast-banking-3-isotonic-sodium-chloride/
It's very easy to make at home using table salt and distilled water. If storing in tap water that is only boiled is working for you, this should work just as well if you don't have a pressure cooker (neither the microwave nor boiling can actually sterilize the water). With the amounts involved and the fact that you'd be decanting the storage medium there is no problem that the liquid is salty.
I've been using this for my yeast ranching and have not had any issues. I store a tiny amount in 10mL vials and use several step-ups to get enough yeast. However, I do use a pressure canner and sterile, disposable plastic instruments that anyone can buy online.

I'm using this method right now. Just jumped up my Sierra Nevada stock to use in an upcoming APA batch. Thanks for the idea!

This certainly beats the steps in yeast washing from a previous batch. I do this all the time with dry yeast to give me a ton for future use. The beer always comes out great because I never worrying about having enough yeast to pitch. Combine this with the process of stepping up yeast, and you never have to worry about meeting your pitch count. This is a great way to save money on one of the more expensive ingredients in your beer.
Just to note, I used to pitch one pack of dry yeast because that's what all directions would say. Now, I take that same pack of yeast and make a ton of yeast from it first. Beer made with that extra amount of yeast comes out cleaner than just single packs. It really pays off on lager yeast when it's over $5/pack and you need at least two. And then, you have plenty of liquid yeast for later.

I'm confused as to why there is such concern about cell count. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you are 'stepping up' each of the mason jars (e.g., 2L starter from the slurry yeast in the bottom of the mason jar) yeast cell count should not be an issue, right?
In other words, the amount of cells you throw into a 2L 1.040 stir plate starter will result in roughly the same amount, regardless of the slurry amount you began with. Granted, a lower original yeast cell count may lead to stressed yeast outcomes, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as you decant your starter.

Used this method recently. I like it. I've been too paranoid and too adverse to all the extra effort of harvesting yeast from the fermentor. This is easy and super quick.

Great idea. I'm going to try this with dry yeast (US05) to stretch the cost of a sachet over several batches. Much easier than washing and it doesn't matter if you are making a lighter or darker beer next. If I make a 3 cup starter, I can save 1/2 pint for the fridge and still have 2 cups to pitch.

Going to be harvesting some Conan yeast from Heady soon and was wondering...If I make a 2L starter could I just break that up into four 500ml jars, then used a jar to make another starter when I'm ready to brew? then leaving me 3 others for future brews? I'm assuming it's no different. I just know I plan on getting fresh Heady and want to drink and harvest them asap but won't brew with it for a few weeks or months.

@jaydog2314 - Just be sure to build up a good amount initially (multi-step) and I don't see why this would be an issue at all.

This is excellent! I have washed yeast a few times but got to say I agree, pain in the butt.
I'm totally doing this with my next starter, such a great idea Brulosopher, once again another exciting reason to love this hobby!

@Brulosopher How big of a flask would you need to use to have enough extra and do a 10 gallon batch?

@bmorosco - It really depends on your OG and yeast freshness, but I regularly use a 4 L flask.

Thanks a million Bru! Made my first starter and decided to step it up in order to have some left over for another batch after reading your article. Woke up this morning and five hours after pitching the krausen was pushing its way out of the top of my new 2L flask. Definitely need a larger one for next time or at least some fermcap. Amazing how fast the 2nd step kicks off! I don't even have a stir plate yet so I've been using the intermittent shaking process and those little buggers are going crazy.

@Brulosopher I started doing this before finding this post but with one small difference. I always make a starter anyway and I was getting ready to pitch a wlp-001 and saw the vial sitting there and thought why not just pour some slurry back into the vial. Washed the vial with some starsan, decanted off most of the liquid (I always cold crash), sloshed it around a little and poured the first part off into the vial, capped and refrigerated. The longest I've let this sit is about 4 months but had no problem after that time of getting a new starter up. The label matches too.

@starsman20 - Makes good sense to me. The only difference I can think of is that I'm harvesting more yeast since I'm pouring it into a larger vessel.

@Brulosopher
Not neccessarily more yeast since starsman20 is first cold crashing and decanting he could theoretically put all the yeast slurry from a 1 liter starter into the vial. I am currently doing basically this but with 50ml Centrifuges, some of them I'm combining with Glycerine for freezing.

Let me just add my thanks to the 100's of others.
I haven't tried this yet, but I do wash my yeast regularly. I get good results, but the idea of basically washing the yeast from the starter wort makes sense and seems a lot cleaner than washing it after a full fermentation.
You've opened my eyes, and I'm going to have to try this technique next time I use a new Yeast packet. Cheers!!

I'm giving this a try as we speak with some Wyeast 1469 (Yorkshire) and 1764 (Pacman).
I do have one question - during the first step, there just appears to be the "beer" on top and the creamy white yeast on the bottom. I do need to keep the yeast longer than is suggested in this state, so I went ahead and did the final steps. When I do this, I end up with three layers - the water on top, then two layers of material, one light one dark. On the 1469, the dark is on top, which is weird. On the 1764 it's on the bottom.
Is the dark layer mini-trub? Should I worry about it? In your final pics, it's not totally clear, but I think I can see a similar dark layer on top of the yeast.
Thanks for any advice!

@grv - I think it's just a bit of protein from the malt, I just throw it all in

great article!

I've done this multiple times with much success. I've noticed that the starters I've made from the previously harvested yeast look like they contain more yeast than ones made from fresh smack packs.
Also, I recently made a starter from a jar I had sitting in the fridge since june 1st and the starter fermented a batch with vigor and no off flavors. I did not add it to the smaller jar of water, just left it in the original starter beer for about 2.5 months.
This is a wonderful method. Thanks for introducing me to it

I am new to brewing and had considered "washing " used yeast but when I was actually faced with doing it, it seemed fraught with problems so I dumped the yeast. This makes alot more sense to me - growing up the pure yeast and then reserving some of the pure stuff for the next batch. Alot like saving seed for gardening next year.

I have envisioned doing this this for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger so I'm glad to find someone doing it with success. I'll be doing this for now on with all my beers.
One question: to eliminate any proteins / micro trub and the need to decant and add to sanitized water, could this exact process be done with priming sugar? Doing it with priming sugar seems like you would get a solid fermentation without all the byproducts of wort. Plus once it's done you can just pour it into a clean mason jar and be done with it. perfectly clean yeast cake under perfectly clean and sterile water.
Thoughts?

@ajandrs - Unless you want to "prepare" your yeast to ferment dextrose, it's prudent that you use actual wort.

How many times do you think I could 'reuse" the yeast before I should start with a new vial of yeast?

I'm on the 12th gen of 002 and 090, both are just fine ;)

I was considering if this was a feasible way to harvest yeast during my brew day this coming weekend. Good to see i'm not crazy!

Just did this for the first time a few weeks ago from one-week expired WLP051 yeast, and it turned out great! Thanks! Much easier than washing

Wow, seriously why have I been washing yeast all this time?!?
I figure now that I will save $300-400 a year in yeast...I brew 5 batches a month. All I need to buy was a bigger flask.
I do have one question. For long term storage (maybe 2-3 months before using to make a new generation of starters), is it beneficial to transfer to the 1/2 pint jars? I don't mind picking up a case of them but if there is no benefit I have enough pint jars and space to keep a lot...
Cheers on the write up

@brettg20 - It's what I do, though some may argue with its necessity.

I did this with my 1450 yeast last month. I got very clean water with a nice layer of yeast at the bottom. I used this yeast to make a new starter (and another batch of harvested yeast) and pitched it in a batch yesterday.
Fermentation was going pretty well this morning!

Harvested a white labs last week, worked great. Thank you
My closest brew store is 3.5 hrs away & fermentis dry yeast is about $4.50 a packet.
Could we do the same with a dry yeast & would it be worthwhile?

@Keith Hartley: I've heard of guys who successfully use this method with dry yeast :)

Great post! I am brand-new to AG brewing and just got going with my first yeast starter. I was planning on putting in the 1L batch, but then I got to wondering if I could split it, and came across this post. Is it possible to get a decent yield from a 1 liter starter that has been split? I was thinking I could possibly pitch 3/4 of my yeast into the brew I had been planning on and then save 1/4 from that batch to cultivate a new starter. Does this sound like a stretch for the yeast, or viable? FWIW, I am using White Labs 001

I just finished taking the dregs of 3 Bells Pale Ale bottles, growing those yeasties in a mini starter, stepping up that starter, and now I am going to use this technique to get 4 "vials" of the stuff!
Bells Pale Ale clone...here I come...

To add my results to this, I've been using 50 billion cells as my standard count when making a new starter from a harvested jar. I don't have anything scientific to back this up as a good number but the flavors are spot on in my beers and they all take off within 12 hours of pitching. I should note, however, that I haven't let a jar last more than two months. Again, it's not scientific but if we all start posting results with what we used as a starting cell count for our harvested yeast we might be able to nail a number down.
BTW - Brulosopher, you're the man for posting this! You've saved a lot of money for all of us!

Back