Yeast: dry or liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I don't live near a brewing supply store and order supplies.

I'm getting ready to order some things for the next couple batches......whats wrong with using dry yeast. S-04 or 05 seems to be fine for ales at a fraction of the cost and less hastle. Whats the big thing about liquid yeast and do I need to use it to get better beer?:confused:

There's nothing wrong with dry yeast, especially the Fermentis Safale stuff. The plus to liquid is in the greater variety of strains available, you can tailor your flavor a little bit more. I've had great results with re-hydrated dry yeast...both Fermentis and Danstar

If you want a clean flavored ale, use dry yeast. It's cheap, it stores well, it ferments quickly/cleanly, and it does not require a starter for proper use (even in high gravity recipes...it's cheap enough, just use two packets!).

If you want a beer whose character is largely determined by a specific yeast strain (Bavarian hefeweizen, most Belgian styles, etc), use liquid yeast. Make a starter using the information at www.mrmalty.com in order to achieve the proper pitching rate.

See can of worms...

Open can of worms...

I will simply say dried yeast is not as bad as it used to be.

I believe that a well managed liquid yeast will produce a beer that is superior to one with dry yeast, given everything else is equal. But in many cases the difference is not of enough significance to justify the expense and effort of using liquid.

So, what do people think about using bleach...

The only bad thing about dry yeast is if you pitch it to early/ warm you'll have a fricken wort volcano. Otherwise, exactly what Kaz said.

Personally i prefer dry yeast and its cheaper!

Bleach is great to use if you want to save coin. Most house holds already have it. You just need to dilute it properly and rinse a touch more.

My Uncle who is a chemist and wine maker swears by it.

I think BrewPastor was referencing bleach use as another subject that is debated endlessly and in reality depends more on preference and good practice, but is often either vehemently denied or supported.

Often on the basis of someone's uncle :) just kidding!

I use nottingham dry ALOT. I am so cheap I have even been known to harvest it. I like its qualities and price.

I use WL for my wheats, wits and an occasional belgian.

Is it worth washing and saving yeast that was pitched dry? Does anyone cultivate from dry yeast pitches?

Is it worth washing and saving yeast that was pitched dry? Does anyone cultivate from dry yeast pitches?

You could and I've read about people doing it. Some argue that the bacteria to yeast content in dry yeast is not as good as in liquid yeast, negating the possibility for harvesting, but I think that once you've made a starter and pitched with liquid and are harvesting from the cake, there shouldn't be much difference in that ratio, if there is one at all to begin with.

On the other hand, yeast washing is mainly done to cut on costs and keep seasonal strains on hand at all times. Dry yeast is mainly used for convenience and cheap cost. I know I don't bother.

Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind. The cost of the other ingredients is so much more than the cost of more dried yeast. I would look at buying fresh as some pretty cheap insurance on your investment of time and resources in the rest of the batch.

There's nothing wrong with dry yeast, especially the Fermentis Safale stuff. . . . I've had great results with re-hydrated dry yeast...both Fermentis and Danstar

Here, the Fermentis costs more than twice the Danstar and nearly (but not quite) as much as White Labs. I will still buy an occasional packet of US-05 just to have on hand for a basic ale. I really like Windsor from Danstar in a cream ale I've made (although I used my 'house' yeast Edinburgh for the latest batch) and suspect it would be good in any ale where you were looking for lower attenuation (less dry).

FWIW, I use White Labs 80% of the time, but think there are a lot of good reasons (cost of the Danstar products, ease, no need to make a starter) to use dry.

Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind. The cost of the other ingredients is so much more than the cost of more dried yeast. I would look at buying fresh as some pretty cheap insurance on your investment of time and resources in the rest of the batch.

I just realized we are in the beginners forum, so I am changing my post to say YES, new yeast is cheap and a great way to limit variables in your batch. I would encourage you to pitch fresh yeast.

I make choices that reflect my goals with my brewery, and sometimes I accept more variables for a batch as acceptable in terms of convienence and cost. But I am doing this with specific knowledge and process.

And I always research new information and listen to the experienced dogs (like brewpastor) even if I choose to go a different route.

And I am cheap (perhaps to the point of foolish, but it works for me! :fro:)

Oh I understand the foolishness of our choices. My garage is a testimony to foolishness and taking the path of greatest resistance. But that is the joy of this great hobby. My intention is to be helpful and not preachy.

Back