Old Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I bought some simcoe hop pellets from a local homebrew supply store probably close to 2 years ago. They are in little zip-lock bags, not vacuum sealed. I am planning to brew an IPA tomorrow and no longer living in a place with a homebrew supply store, nor is quick mail order an option here. I opened one of the bags and they smell weird, almost fermented, but I haven't brewed in a long time and maybe they are fine. Can I still use them? What's the worst that could happen?

I was planning to brew an IPA. I also have a few random other hops, definitely all older than the above. Should I maybe throw in some of these for good measure? Here's what I have:

- 10 HBU Hope Pellet Pack (vacuum sealed)
- Fuggle (vac sealed)
- Flaconer's Flight (sealed, but not vac sealed)
- Galena (sealed, but not vac sealed)

If that weird smell wasn't what you remember when you opened them, then toss them. Or don't expect the same beer tastes and aroma.

If you don’t believe they’re past their prime or actually degraded take on pellet and make “tea” with it in a small amount of water. Taste it and smell it then decide if that’s the flavor and aroma you want for your beer.

Hops always smell nice to me. Even those I've had stashed away in the freezer for years and not always sealed.

I bought some simcoe hop pellets from a local homebrew supply store probably close to 2 years ago. They are in little zip-lock bags, not vacuum sealed. I am planning to brew an IPA tomorrow and no longer living in a place with a homebrew supply store, nor is quick mail order an option here. I opened one of the bags and they smell weird, almost fermented, but I haven't brewed in a long time and maybe they are fine. Can I still use them? What's the worst that could happen?

I was planning to brew an IPA. I also have a few random other hops, definitely all older than the above. Should I maybe throw in some of these for good measure? Here's what I have:

- 10 HBU Hope Pellet Pack (vacuum sealed)
- Fuggle (vac sealed)
- Flaconer's Flight (sealed, but not vac sealed)
- Galena (sealed, but not vac sealed)
Were they stored in a freezer?

If hops smelled bad I would not use them.

The worst that would happen is they make the beer taste terrible.

Were they stored in a freezer?

If hops smelled bad I would not use them.

The worst that would happen is they make the beer taste terrible.
They were in a loose, questionable zip lock bag, not vacuum sealed or in the freezer. Fortunately, I found a local source for hops and had them delivered in less than two hours! The place only sells malt grain and not extract, so I may finally have to make the jump to all grain brewing...

Back