Dry yeast in bulk (fermentis)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Picked up three 500g packs of 04,05,34/70 and cost was $360ish. Got a little mil discount in there. I don't care to pay for liquid yeast and have used dry in the past so with plans to do a good bit of brewing in my retirement years it only make sense to go bulk. Most kits I have on radar call for 04/05 and I have had good results on extracts many years ago.

I feel like I am taking a chance on 34/70, but do plan on doing a lot of lagering. Trying to get as close to German festbier as possible. Considering the costs. is this a good deal and would you buy?

What size batches and how often do you plan to brew?

Yes, buying in bulk generates discounts but with all things buying in bulk, the more important question is whether or not you'll consume what you buy.

$360 ÷ 1500g × 11g/packet = $2.64/packet, averaged for the three

Not a bad deal. Especially since one of those is a lager yeast, which costs more.

Hope you can use it all before it goes bad. Maybe keep in vac-sealed mason jars in the fridge.

I get US-05 in bulk. I'm not sure why the expiration date as it lasts way longer than it says. Mine usually lasts 18 - 24 months. Not that it goes bad after that, I just use it up. I keep mine in one of those clamp-top glass jars in the fridge.

I thought about getting 34/70 as well, but I don't use it nearly as often as US-05. I just get one sachet and reuse it up to about 6 or 7 generations before getting a new sachet. Figure I save just as much (if not more) that way.

Get a decent scale and a vacuum sealer. Make your own single batch packs from the bricks.

Not worth the trouble to me, since US-05 and S-04 are $2.39 a pack at RiteBrew if you order 10. W34/70 is $4.29 a pack, so it seems like that's the only one you're really saving anything on. UPS ground is less than a buck if your order is $100 or more.

What size batches and how often do you plan to brew?

Yes, buying in bulk generates discounts but with all things buying in bulk, the more important question is whether or not you'll consume what you buy.
At some point I will get up to 8 kegs. This is a good retirement hobby :)

$360 ÷ 1500g × 11g/packet = $2.64/packet, averaged for the three

Not a bad deal. Especially since one of those is a lager yeast, which costs more.

Hope you can use it all before it goes bad. Maybe keep in vac-sealed mason jars in the fridge.
You really want to freeze it. Then it can almost last forever.

However I wouldn't buy it. You get bored by the yeast in no time and want to explore other yeasts but you're stuck than on these yeasts you bought.

That is around 120-136 batches of 5 gallon brews. The equivalent single dry packet purchase (~$5) would yield 72 batches ($360 / $5 ).The equivalent liquid purchase would yield 40 batches ($360 / $9 ). If you like the beer and the convenience, then you only need to brew 73 batches to be ahead :)

Can you brew 73+ batches before the yeast goes bad? If you freeze and vacuum seal you have a decent chance.

My gosh that is a lot of beer. I am close to retirement as well, but the most I was thinking was 3 kegs in a keezer at a time. And even that is a lot of beer for me. LOL. But I do love beer. LOL

The equivalent single dry packet purchase (~$5) would yield 72 batches ($360 / $5 ).
The equivalent single dry packet purchase for US-05 (or S-04) is 150 batches.

1699982382954.png

Can you brew 73+ batches before the yeast goes bad? If you freeze and vacuum seal you have a decent chance.
If you vacuum seal and freeze, your great grandkids can brew with them.

If you vacuum seal and freeze, your great grandkids can brew with them.
This. I don't plan to have to keep buying. I have used expired or close to expired dry yeast and haven't had a problem....yet

I put the ~ in front of the $5. Any reason for being snarky? MoreBeer sells 34/70 for $7.99 a packet. Yes it varies and who cares? Just conversation with the OP.

It is exchanges like this that kill forum participation.

Speaking as someone who stockpiles a lot of brewing ingredients, it's not a crazy idea. But, as @mac_1103 says, single-use packs are really cheap at RiteBrew, so you're not saving that much by buying in bulk. (You could also call RiteBrew and see if they'll give you a better deal for 100 packs...)

I think there's enough of a chance that you don't make it to the end of the bricks that single-use packs are the safer purchase. You could decide to stop brewing (maybe a sudden health condition), or you could have a few bad batches in a row and be worried about contamination, or (and this is the most likely) you can find a yeast you like much more and decide to stop using those varieties. Most of the yeast strains I used a lot when I started brewing, I later found replacements for that I liked better. I used to think K-97 was fantastic, and now I'm really, really glad I don't have a whole block of it.

In fact, the only one I've used consistently over time is 34/70.

It is exchanges like this that kill forum participation.
I wasn't being snarky, just factual. Were you being snarky when you responded to my post with the 34/70 comment in the first place? Yeah, you put "~" in front of "$5." And I put "US-05 (or S-04)" in front of "150 batches." Since I had already specified US-05, and already given RiteBrew's price for W34/70 in an earlier post, why did you feel the need to point out that my arithmetic was specific to US-05? I mean, if you want to talk about "exchanges like this" that is.

You can get 40 packs each of US-05, S-04 and W34/70 for $364 from RiteBrew. 1,380 grams of yeast instead of 1,500. 120 batches instead of 130 (assuming 11.5 grams per 5 gallons). Already packed in single use vacuum sealed pouches. The brick does give you the ability to adjust how much you pitch, which might be useful when brewing a different size batch or a high gravity beer.

Back