WLP075 Hansen Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the mfg date is suppose to be the best by date minus 4 months. does not seem likely they made the vials on the day it hit 250.

I estimated only 50Bcells as my initial cell count and also over built by about 50Bcells so basically ignoring the cells in the vial. Would rather over pitch than under pitch.

Think my yeast is fine, before and 20hrs after pitching.
IMG_0950 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0954 - Copy.JPG

My 6 just came in. The package feels 'cool' but the vials smell funky. Never opened them yet. Not sure if I trust it with this smell but I may make a small, 1 liter starter and see what it smells like and does.
I'm not happy how this turned out.

My wife just let me know mine came in the mail and she put it in the fridge. I plan on making a starter on Wednesday with it to brew a simple pale ale on Saturday. If that turns out well I will harvest the yeast and use it for a batch of Double Sunshine clone from Lawsons.

My wife just let me know mine came in the mail and she put it in the fridge. I plan on making a starter on Wednesday with it to brew a simple pale ale on Saturday. If that turns out well I will harvest the yeast and use it for a batch of Double Sunshine clone from Lawsons.

I found a recipe for double sunshine does this look close what you plan to brew?
https://beerandbrewing.com/lawsons-double-sunshine-ipa-recipe/

I took some of my first starter to make a second starter I will use for making a beer I can harvest the yeast for future beers. The first starter I am thinking a IPA of some kind but have not figured it out yet. I am thinking something with strata and citra.

I found a recipe for double sunshine does this look close what you plan to brew?
https://beerandbrewing.com/lawsons-double-sunshine-ipa-recipe/

I took some of my first starter to make a second starter I will use for making a beer I can harvest the yeast for future beers. The first starter I am thinking a IPA of some kind but have not figured it out yet. I am thinking something with strata and citra.

Yep, that's the one! I have brewed it a few times now and it is one of my favorites. I am excited to see how it does with the Hansen blend...if it is viable of course!

mail came today. still no yeast. not even sure i want to waste the time to even try a starter at this point. this shouldn't take a week to come from cali to florida.

white labs will be on my chit-list for awhile. i'm sticking with Omega & Wyeast

the mfg date is suppose to be the best by date minus 4 months. does not seem likely they made the vials on the day it hit 250.

I estimated only 50Bcells as my initial cell count and also over built by about 50Bcells so basically ignoring the cells in the vial. Would rather over pitch than under pitch.

Think my yeast is fine, before and 20hrs after pitching.
View attachment 632551 View attachment 632552

I like how the yeast is clumping, perhaps it means a tight yeast cake in the bottle. Fingers crossed, that is why I'm on this yeast, hopefully it will drop a clear beer.

Some details on my "vault experience":

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 ("Juneteenth" oddly enough)- Accepted by USPS for shipping, San Diego, CA
Monday, June 24, 2019- Delivered by USPS somewhere in Northern Georgia

Yeast was shipped via USPS Parcel Select Ground (first time I hear of this type of shipping) in a barely insulated envelope with one ice pack (see pic). Ice pack was "melted" after 5 days of shipping, egads! Yeast is in the old style packaging with screw top (see pic). Color of the yeast is beige (see pic). Everything looks good here, I am going to assume a 20% loss in viability and split the contents, saving half (40B cells) for future use and dropping the remaining 40B cells into a 1.5L starter to be split into service for a 5G NB Black IPA and a JZ's 5G Shallow Grave Porter. Life is good in Northern Georgia, just awfully hot. By the way, Informed Delivery gave me the heads up morning of, so yeast only spent a few minutes in my 140F mailbox.

Attachments

• P6240644.JPG
    P6240644.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P6240643.JPG
    P6240643.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P6240645.JPG
    P6240645.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
BTW, I have gotten a "funky" smell from those ice packs on previous shipments from other sources, it is probably the condensation on them in a closed package.
I've never smelled what I'm smelling from any yeast before. Still not sure I'm gonna use it or not. So let me ask this to all on this thread.....even if it blows up in a starter and still has a smell, would that mean the yeast is still good? I'd worry about off flavors in the beer. I mean, how can being in the 90's for 1 or 2 days be good for the yeast, even if enough survived to regrow. Could be mutated, right?

You said initially you smelled the funk before opening the vials. Now you have opened and it smells funny? My first whiff of the contents was a bit off (perhaps a sulfur-vinegar odor), but then smelled like yeast. Perhaps the yeast off gassed some off smells due to the heat. Get it going and I think this will work its way out and smell fine.

I've never smelled what I'm smelling from any yeast before. Still not sure I'm gonna use it or not. So let me ask this to all on this thread.....even if it blows up in a starter and still has a smell, would that mean the yeast is still good? I'd worry about off flavors in the beer. I mean, how can being in the 90's for 1 or 2 days be good for the yeast, even if enough survived to regrow. Could be mutated, right?

are you talking about the actual yeasts smell or the smell from the tube/packaging?

I'm talking about the actual yeast smell. The yeast smells a bit like the packaging only stronger.
I think I'll try to grow me some yeast and see how that smells.
I don't recall ever even noticing a smell in the packets I've received before.

I like how the yeast is clumping, perhaps it means a tight yeast cake in the bottle. Fingers crossed, that is why I'm on this yeast, hopefully it will drop a clear beer.
I took the starter off the stir plate and it dropped pretty quickly, it was fairly compacted this morning when I put it into the fridge.

The yeast in the vial came out as a single blob, the chunks in the first picture only happened after the stir bar hit the big blob a few times.

Why do I feel the need to RDWHAHB??? I did smell a funky odor when opening the silver pouch to get the yeast out but didnt really think too much of it. Now if the actual yeast in the vials smells like then I would be concerned since I too have never had yeast smell "off" like that; especially when its supposed to be uber fresh like this should be.

Anyway, should be making a starter soon and brewing in a couple of weeks. Hoping that this yeast delivers like it has in the past and we find ourself's laughing at all these concerns!

I for one did not experience any odors either from the packaging or from the open yeast vial. I was able to break up the yeast blob and may pitch half the vial into a starter today or tomorrow.

Mine arrived yesterday evening (our postman arrives around 5-5.30pm), Went straight to mailbox and got it out, Everything in the insulated package was around 85 degrees maybe warmer. Put straight into fridge and will see how it works out
Ive ordered from the vault before and didnt have any problems heres hoping.

I got mine yesterday, and made a starter to test it, since it's been in the 90's here during the day. There's been plenty of activity in it, so I'm going to assume it's good, and imagine most should be good despite the poor timing of the shipping.

I've not tried mine yet but my memory tells me it's less krausen and lots of clumpy, egg drop soup. Reminds me of many of the English Ale yeasts. I hope to get a starter made over the weekend. Would love to know how other fared with their hot yeast.

Yeast arrived Tuesday morning. Little over 12 hours into starter and nothing at all so far. Not typically a pessimist but not holding out much hope.

Stinks as I really wanted to try this one.

Those of you that are concerned about the quality of the yeast due to the weather should make a small vitality starter.

Calculate it to about 100bn cells and when it's done cold crash the flask, decant off the 'beer' and taste it. It should taste bland and boring. If so, you're fine, and you've got 100bn cells ready for your real starter.

Oh, and stop opening the vial to sniff it. That's asking for trouble!

Oh, and stop opening the vial to sniff it. That's asking for trouble!

FWIW, I haven't opened the vial and sniffed it. The funky smell I noticed was when opening the shipping pouch to remove the vials from it. I haven't given it much thought but it was interesting that some others noticed the same thing. Just an observation for me at this point that prompted a "Me Too" moment! lol

I pitched my vial into a 1.5L starter last night and things aren't looking very promising as of this morning. There is no krausen at all and the starter is a very dingy grey (dishwater) color and smells like cider. I will see if things have changed when I get home from work today, but I think I am going to have to write this off as a sacrifice to the beer gods.

Luckily I have a fresh pack of Imperial A62 (Bell's House strain) that I recently got from Bell's Homebrew Store that I can use this weekend.

I couldn't be happier with Bell's btw as they held off on shipping my yeast until the Monday after I ordered, to make sure it wouldn't get stuck in the post office over the weekend, and packed it well in an insulated bag with plenty of ice packs...what a novel idea!

I pitched my vial into a 1.5L starter last night and things aren't looking very promising as of this morning. There is no krausen at all and the starter is a very dingy grey (dishwater) color and smells like cider. I will see if things have changed when I get home from work today, but I think I am going to have to write this off as a sacrifice to the beer gods.

Luckily I have a fresh pack of Imperial A62 (Bell's House strain) that I recently got from Bell's Homebrew Store that I can use this weekend.

I couldn't be happier with Bell's btw as they held off on shipping my yeast until the Monday after I ordered, to make sure it wouldn't get stuck in the post office over the weekend, and packed it well in an insulated bag with plenty of ice packs...what a novel idea!
How many days did it take to get yours and how hot was it? I only ask because it seems some people are having good luck even with it being 5 days and hot. My fingers are crossed as I make a starter this weekend.

How many days did it take to get yours and how hot was it? I only ask because it seems some people are having good luck even with it being 5 days and hot. My fingers are crossed as I make a starter this weekend.

My vial was delivered on Monday 6/24 so it spent the weekend at the post office. My wife was home when it was delivered so I had her open the package and put it in the fridge right away and she said the vial felt very warm. The yeast in the vial was very dark looking but I held out hope it was still viable.

I emailed White Labs to let them know but I am not expecting a response.

I just received a response from a customer service rep at White Labs apologizing for the issue and confirming they will be sending me a fresh vial early next week. I am satisfied with that response.

I asked them about the option to have yeast shipped another way and to order more ice packs and was told they are going to implement some new things that allow us to choose different services and options.

Wasnt planning on it but sounds like I should make a starter this weekend to proof the yeast ahead of brew day the following weekend... :eek:

Mine shipped on the 19th and arrived on the 26th. Temp was just under 90F. Parts of the icepack were at 95F. I chatted with the Labs before arrival and was offered another vial before I ever asked for one. It went out via FedEx two day yesterday and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

My plan is make a relatively small Centennial Blonde first, and use the yeast from that brew for something bigger and hoppier. A half pound pack of Idaho 7 is calling to me from the fridge...

I received the yeast on 6/26. Made a 1.5 liter starter. I put that on the stir plate late yesterday afternoon. By this morning, 6/27, the krausen was present and the starter was active.

Clearly shipping yeast in the Summer is not the best idea. But I'm not having any issues. Despite the yeast traveling across the country.

Glad to hear it worked for some. 48 hrs on the stir plate and mine smells nasty and doesn’t look to have done much of anything.

Not sure if I even wanna try again with WL

Ok. So in fairness to white labs I decided to email them about it. 30 minutes after email they are going to be sending out a new one via overnight.

So glad they made it right, and renewed my excitement in getting to try this yeast.

I just used my starter today, it was in the fridge like 3 days and the yeast was nicely compacted. The spoon left tracks in the cake and the yeast peeled off the bottom. Fresh wort got what was left off the bottom pretty easy, it did not really suspend/dissolve just came free of the bottom. Seem like it would stick to the bottle well.

Wasnt planning on it but sounds like I should make a starter this weekend to proof the yeast ahead of brew day the following weekend... :eek:

I definitely would. Most of my yeast was dead and the few that survived were stressed to the max. After 24 hours on a stir plate my starter had only dropped .002 gravity points and smelled and tasted like green apple/cider. Down the drain it went...

Last edited:
I pitched yesterday afternoon and I'm getting a very active airlock this morning. I pitched the 75F starter into 80F heavily aerated wort, higher than I wanted, but I was short on ice. Set controller to 68F. I kept half of the 1.5L starter and I must say that it does have a green apple cider odor and taste to it. The starter was on the plate for 24 hours at about 75F. Next time, I will temperature control that to 70F, maybe the higher temperatures are throwing the odor. My vial, by the way, came in looking fine, though I'm sure it saw temperatures in the 80s on its 5 day trip from CA to GA

I pitched yesterday afternoon and I'm getting a very active airlock this morning. I pitched the 75F starter into 80F heavily aerated wort, higher than I wanted, but I was short on ice. Set controller to 68F. I kept half of the 1.5L starter and I must say that it does have a green apple cider odor and taste to it. The starter was on the plate for 24 hours at about 75F. Next time, I will temperature control that to 70F, maybe the higher temperatures are throwing the odor. My vial, by the way, came in looking fine, though I'm sure it saw temperatures in the 80s on its 5 day trip from CA to GA

Sounds like your guys survived the voyage but may have gotten stressed out along the way. If they are pumping out Acetaldehyde it will be hard to get that cleaned up...

Back