WLP007 instead of WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using WLP001 for IPAs and it is great flavour wise. However I am not very happy with the way it flocculates. I bottle condition and I guess my process results in a bit too much yeast in the bottle and this yeast does not help in that respect.

I am wondering if I can get a similar profile using wlp007 instead as I believe that yeast drops as jello. Perhaps if I ferment at lower temp and add some simple sugars to compensate for attenuation differences?

What do you think?

Thanks
pp

I recently split a 10 gallon batch into 2 using 001 and 007 to make it seem like 2 different beers. It really does have very different characteristics but while 007 usually flocs well for me, the 001 was actually better in every aspect of the 2 beers and many others have agreed with me.
Both were fermented at 66 for 6 days then to 68 for dry hopping and then cold crashed for 30 hours before kegging.
I do like both but 001 brought out so much more of the hops and malt to my taste but of course, your recipe will also play a large part in things so keep that in mind.

001 accentuates hops, though both are clean with similar attenuation. They're the two yeasts I generally use between American and English ales.

Flocculation is a ***** no matter what yeast you use as long as you're bottle conditioning. I'll grant that it's nice to see the yeast stick to the bottom a little better, but you just really can't win. I say use the yeast that you think tastes the best.

Thanks guys
I am off to the brew supplies shop and will stick to 001

"They" say WLP007 is the same as the dry yeast S-04.

WLP001 is also the same as US-05.

You could be saving money, and the hassle of making starters, by switching to dry. Also, dry yeast keeps for YEARS in the fridge instead of just months.

Nottingham ale yeast is another one you might want to consider. It attenuates high and dry like WLP001, with a mild tartness that some don't mind.

"They" say WLP007 is the same as the dry yeast S-04.

WLP001 is also the same as US-05.

You could be saving money, and the hassle of making starters, by switching to dry. Also, dry yeast keeps for YEARS in the fridge instead of just months.

Nottingham ale yeast is another one you might want to consider. It attenuates high and dry like WLP001, with a mild tartness that some don't mind.

I've tried us-05 twice and did not like it at all, to me it carries some sort of roughness or sharpness I do not like.
I got a commercial beer not long ago that had the same flavour I associate us05 with. Out of couriosity I emailed the brewery and indeed that was the yeas used. No for me.. though I know many Brewers swear by it.

I've used s04 for a stout long time ago, before starting using liquid yeast. I recall that beer tasting nice but have never used s04 again,instead I am now using wlp004 which works great.

Thanks for the advice anyways, but I am totally sold on liquid yeast and only keep one of each dry in the fridge in case of emergency.

I agree, 05 is rough and attenuates like crazy. My double IPA with 001 tastes great.

I love 007, but if you're looking for similar characteristics to 001 w better flocculation (and quicker ferment times) I'd suggest 090

Latest posts

Back