First time using Lallemand Windsor yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loke

Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the title, this was my first time using that yeast with a porter beer that I wanted close to cookie flavour and with some residual sweetness and sugars. I also added a tiny bit of lactose.
The primary fermentation went really vigorous, never had anything producing so much foam before, 40% empty space in the fermenter was not enough...
My OG was at 1.096 and I fermented at 20°C.
Should soon rack in secondary fermenter with added raisins and cinnamon.

I am about to use it again in an amber beer for its low attenuation and wanted to know if I should expect such vigorous behaviour again. Thanks for your help.
Will post the result anyway :)

Largely a matter of fermentation temp (beer, not ambient) and gravity. 1096 is a mighty big porter, will your amber be an Imperial as well? A normal gravity will likely be more sedate.

Thank you for the feedback.
You are right, it is outside the traditional values for a porter, mighty porter it is :)
20°C was the fermentation temperature, got a peak at 21°C and then back to around 20°C. I increased it to 23°C towards the end of the fermentation.
It was the target to have something around 9-10% with plenty of body and flavours coming from the malt and added raisins. Hopefully some extra chocolate/coffee thanks to the malts used. To be complete, this is the second time I am brewing this beer, the first one was a success using Fermentis US-05 as a yeast. I just wanted a little more ethanol and residual sweetness but less roasted coffee, so I added lactose and changed a bit the grains bill and selected the Windsor yeast. Had no issue with the first one.

Just pitched the Windsor in the Amber (also on the high side - OG at 1.070), will let you know.

Using Windsor when I still used glass carboy's is what taught me to use a blow-off tube.. Here's the ceiling where it beercano'd on me..twice:
Beercano.jpeg

...Yes, that is wort-stains, years after cleaning. :p

It went really well with the amber beer. Quite vigorous, true but nothing compared to the first trial :)

Back