why you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why You Brew

• Satisfaction

• Something to do

• Cheeper than 'shop' beer

• No additives!!!

• Get drunk easyer

• Other reason not listed (plz reply and let us know)

Results are only viewable after voting.

beerlab

Reaction score
just wondering why people brew there own, there are im sure as many reasons as there are types of brews, however i just listed the main ones i could think of.

for me personally, its for the satisfaction of brewing my own, im 22 and im not into getting drunk, i enjoy one or two beers every now and again,

its simply a pleasure to drink ones own produce (in my opinion)

let me know about ur own reasons , just for interest :D

I had to choose "other" because it's more than satisfaction- I actually make better beer than those BMC companies. Microbreweries make great beer as a rule, but there aren't any within 100 miles (or more) of me. It's kind of one of those "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself".

It's awesome sitting here at the computer and thinking I'd like a beer. Hmmmm, do I want a pale ale, brown ale, ESB, red ale, or my Dead Guy clone. Then I just walk over to the fridge and pick the one I want. It's all about the taste of great beer.

Lorena

Brewing is by no means easier than going to the store and picking up some beer. Its not cheaper either, at least not until you buy grain in bulk. There are enough micros out there who dont use the additives that BMC uses.

I went with satisfaction. There is nothing like cracking open the first bottle of a batch and knowing you have to brew that recipe again,. Or realizing that the brew was good, but could be upgraded, then spend the next week tweeking the recipe.

- magno

I went with satisfaction, because that was the closest thing. I just enjoy doing it and I love the toys that go along with the hobby. Also, it's kinda fun to have to wait for something that you know you're going to enjoy. It's like Christmas when you were a kid.

It's a hobby that produces something I enjoy, requires very little manual dexterity & doesn't accumulate (like making clocks or knitting sweaters).

I enjoy the clubs, as well.

It's definitely satisfying for me, but I have dreams of opening a microbrewery one day. Since I've been bartending at a pub for years, I already have a built-in customer base, and lots of connections at all levels of distribution, so that all helps me. I enjoy the hell out of it, but yeah, 5-10 years down the line, I would like to own a brewing business.

I chose "cheaper" because that's how I justified it to SWMBO. :D Mostly true because I've been brewing things that would run me $4+ a bottle at the beer store.

It is also the satisfaction and enjoyment of making a good beer, drinking some and thinking to yourself "damn, that's good... and I made it". It's just an added bonus when others enjoy your beer as well.

I chose 'other', while most of the entries define why I do it (save for the getting drunk part) I would say that #1 it is fun, #2 it is superior to many commercial beers available, and #3 It is very inexpensive for AG (after recouping equipment investment). I have been having a ball, there are so many variables that it is hard not to love it. Course, it is not for everyone. A co-worker simply said "I don't have the patience for that". Fortunately, I do. hehe.

I chose other because the hobby is more than satisfying to me. I love the beer making process and to be successful at it myself is very rewarding. Every time I pour a pint and see the bubbles rising and a nice rocky head on top I'm amazed. I also enjoy sharing my beers with others.
Don't tell my wife this but price has nothing to do with why I brew. I started because I wanted to hand craft beer and to this day that is why I brew. :mug:

The cheaper part is partly true....

I can do a Saison for about the same amount on ingrediants of any other batch. But there's nowhere ion my area that constently stocks something like Siason Dupont, and if they do, it's 5 bucks a bottle.

Also, drinking alcohol is a social activity. It makes me feel great to be able to share my brews with people that I know will enjoy them.

But mostly, I just get great satifaction from making them and drinking them myself. It's a great hobby--you can put about as much time and money into it as you choose to, and you get to drink the results!

Why do I brew?

An interesting question it is...

All the reasons given by others, were very good reasons.
The reasons 'I brew my own' are ...
All the reasons given above, and also basically:
The reason I learned how to cook food.
Control over my own life, to not be a slave!
I remember when I was a kid, I asked Mom how to cook.
She said:
Men don't cook food,
they get married and have their wives cook for them.
Oh Mom, your cooking is so good I want to learn how you do it, I told her.
When actually I wanted to learn how to cook food,
so I didn't end up with a ***** like her,
but if I told her that... she wouldn't show me how to cook.
It was one of my first tactical lies.
But it worked.
I am single and a good cook.
Life is good, now to the subject at hand:

One homebrew of mine costs about .40 cents.
But it is half again as strong as store bought beer, 25 cents ???
I don't have to get in a truck with tags, inspection sticker, insurance, expensive gas and all and drive to the beer store, dodging cops,
idiots and accidents all the way there and all the way back.
In order to pay a dollar + tax, for a beer.
I just walk in to my brewery, {the former pantry,}
and 'select' or just, 'get me' an ale.
I have 200 full, green glass bottles on the shelves.
6Lb Hammerbier, -7, -8 Lb Hammerbier.
Different batches different flavors and amounts of alcohol.
I gives me control over my life.
It gives me Power!!!

A friend of a friend was over bumming my homebrew.
'Mikey' was lots younger than me and hadhad a severe head injury too.
I was trying to inspire him and show him the value of brewing your own buzzzz...
I took him into my brewery, {the former pantry}
We looked up at the shelves filled with rows and rows of full,
clean, green glass bottles with my special brews in them.
A beautiful and inspiring sight it was.
{And thats why I bottle rather than keg ya'll}

I told Mikey about the wino who came up to two friends as they were opening the door to a rooming house, 'room', they had rented just to have a place to smoke pot in back in the 60's. Here the old wino came with his broom as he helped out around the old house to help with his rent.
James was saying hurry, hurry open the door, while Steve was fumbling with the keys. The wino came up to them and opened his mouth and with his scratchy old wino voice said:
"Cherish your youth boys, cherish your youth."
Whereupon the old wino started coughing and hacking and grabbing at his chest. He wheezed and hacked and staggered around and collapsed in the hall as Steve got the old door open,
and they went in and locked the door.
The wino was gone when they came out.
I have always remembered the old wino's admonition.
And said you can learn something from anybody.

Then I was telling Mikey about 'wealth'.
Some men view 'wealth' as owning lots of stuff.
Two or three beautiful women with the biggest tits.
The fastest car and the biggest house.
Others view wealth as land.
Thousands of acres of grassland, mountains and lakes,
owning a ranch is owning a piece of the earth,
a place to spend your life improving,
to plant grasses and trees, heal gullys and erosion,
build fences, to make it more fertile and raise animals.
To leave it better than it was when you found it.
Its your land and "land is the only thing that lasts".

But Mikey, the poor old wino would go for a bottle of wine.
That was wealth to him.
All that property and those women are just a big hassle.
I looked up at my shelves filled with the aforedescribed rows and rows of clean, green glass bottles, filled with my special precious homebrew.
I took a deep breath and held up my hands.

Mikey dude, this...

This is wealth.

J. Winters Knife
' Sandymay got two coon last night ya'll '
' Thats wealth too '

david_42 said:
It's a hobby that produces something I enjoy, requires very little manual dexterity & doesn't accumulate (like making clocks or knitting sweaters).

I enjoy the clubs, as well.

i've accumulated some extra mass around the midsection...:D

i brew cause it makes me smile.

It's a a hobby that is relaxing, fun, and gives a lot of satisfaction. When our son's visit for the weekend, we always end up either brewing or bottling a batch. We drink some, socialize, and have a great time together. They have also come to appreciate the taste of real beer, and they each go home with a 12 pack of various brews.

Self Reliance. Same reason I make my own ammunition, raise my own vegetables, kill my own meat, make my own electricity, etc. etc. He who relies on others for the basic necessities of life (which includes good beer!) will surely be dissapointed.

ScoutMan said:
Same reason I make my own ammunition,

Thats funny, I was going to use the same comparison but with a slightly different outcome. I reload to get custom taylored ammo to suit my desire. To heii with what the stores happen to have on hand.. Same with beer, its all about the quality to me and being able to taylor a beer just how I want it to be. Once youve had a real good homebrew that store bought stuff just doesnt get it anymore.. Of corse, being a Utah resident conjures up some inherint motivation for home brewing as well. :tank:

Back