Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburglerv1

Reaction score
I was curious of how many generations WLP802 has been taken without failure? I’ve currently got a nice, big pitch in a Czech 10° Pilsner, and was planning on using the slurry for two more beers. It got me thinking how many beers can I actually swing from the original pitch of yeast. Thank you!

This yeast comes from the Budějovický Budvar brewery in Czech Republic, which was founded in 1895. My guess is they have been repitching the same yeast for about 128 years or thereabouts.

So I think you're safe to keep on repitching for a while, as long as your sanitization practices are good.

This yeast comes from the Budějovický Budvar brewery in Czech Republic, which was founded in 1895. My guess is they have been repitching the same yeast for about 128 years or thereabouts.

So I think you're safe to keep on repitching for a while, as long as your sanitization practices are good.
Thanks for that! I could’ve sworn I read that most lager yeasts are good for up to three repitches and then after that it could be spent.

The most important aspect of repitching is having the yeast replicate 3-5 times,this gives the most viable cells. I use Brewdads calculator because you can change all the inputs and it has a growth factor slot.
1- input your OG and quantity the normal way and look at the cell count needed
2- make the starter (on the computer) note the amount of cells.
3- now step that starter up to your final batch size off stirplate.
4- now look at the number of cells and the growth factor,it should be 3-5 times
5- all you have to do to find out how much of the yeast cake to repitch is divide the final cell count by the cell count you needed to pitch into the first batch
I haven't done it for awhile,when I first found this and played around with the numbers I found my SOP and that is ales 1/4 , German ales 1/3, lagers 1/2 of the cake on a 1.050 wort.

Back