When to Dry Hop a NE Hazy IPA? Filter or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
I am waiting for my HomeBrew Supply Tropical Haze NE IPA (https://www.homebrewsupply.com/tropic-haze-nedipa-extract-recipe-kit.html). I have never done an IPA with this many hops before and I can’t freaking wait.

I’m curious though what you recommend I do for all the hopping stages:

1. Should I use a hop filter or bag during boil? (I have never used a hop back or hop filter during boil. Also should I do this for other recipes?)

2. How should I dry hop? Should I use a hop filter in my fermenter? Or should I use a hop filter in my keg?

• I typically dry hop with hop pellets and throw them directly into my conical FastFermenter. It settles out over time and I can keg no problem. But I have been reading to dry hop with a filter into my keg. Not sure how good this is or how long it will last in my beer. I assume once it’s in, I don’t take it out until the keg is empty. A keg usually lasts me 3-4 months. So will the dry hops get too bitter this long?

Thought’s suggestions?

Thanks,

Lorne

Depends on your system. I started using a pump, so now I use hop socks in the boil, as I'm paranoid to clog the pump. In the fermenter, I throw them in. For the keg, I use http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/, so I can just throw them in. I've never had a keg last 3-4 months, so no clue how the hops will react at that length of time.

I don't see why you should change your current process. If you're using a filter or bag during the boil, I'd say continue doing so.

I can't speak to the keg-hopping as I have never done it. I think I remember reading in the NEIPA thread by Braufessor that he has experimented with keg hopping and found that it doesn't provide any benefit over dry hopping in the fermentor.

FWIW, I split my dry hops into two charges....first charge goes in @ 36-48 hours into fermentation and the second goes in 3 days before I cold crash and package. This seems to work really well for me...but I know how subjective this can be so I think your only approach is to try what you think is best and see if it works for you.

If I do use a hop filter in my fermentation stage. Will it still be a hazy IPA? Or will I lose that affect?

If I do use a hop filter in my fermentation stage. Will it still be a hazy IPA? Or will I lose that affect?

Yes, I put my hops in a hop sock/bag and get beautifully HAZY beer resulting from hopping during latter stages of fermentation -

My 5.5G NEIPA recipe uses 14 oz hops start to finish so it is definitely hop heavy.

During the boil: I usually use a hop spider with a nylon Wilser hop sock (or similar) to keep the wort semi-clean when I do whirlpools and transfers. Hop trub looks like cow cudd to me so I avoid it.

Active fermentation addition: You can use similar dry hop socks or muslin hop bags to contain hops when you do your active fermentation biotransformation addition. I remove these after a few days, or some leave til they rack from fermenter.

Final Dry Hop: Not suggesting you go out and buy any additional gear but I use a mesh strainer tube when I dry hop in the keg. After 3 or 4 days I pull the tube so I don't develop grassy flavors. Some don't roll this way, but I remove mine.

This is just my way and I respect those who throw the hops right on and let then settle out in the end.

Yes, I put my hops in a hop sock/bag and get beautifully HAZY beer resulting from hopping during latter stages of fermentation -

My 5.5G NEIPA recipe uses 14 oz hops start to finish so it is definitely hop heavy.

During the boil: I usually use a hop spider with a nylon Wilser hop sock (or similar) to keep the wort semi-clean when I do whirlpools and transfers. Hop trub looks like cow cudd to me so I avoid it.

Active fermentation addition: You can use similar dry hop socks or muslin hop bags to contain hops when you do your active fermentation biotransformation addition. I remove these after a few days, or some leave til they rack from fermenter.

Final Dry Hop: Not suggesting you go out and buy any additional gear but I use a mesh strainer tube when I dry hop in the keg. After 3 or 4 days I pull the tube so I don't develop grassy flavors. Some don't roll this way, but I remove mine.

This is just my way and I respect those who throw the hops right on and let then settle out in the end.

Thanks for the feedback. How do you open your keg and pull the hop filter out after it’s already pressurized? Isn’t that just another added risk of contaminating the beer?

I never use a bag or any container to hold my hops. It's a personnel dissension,but it's what i do. If you want hazy...then don't use a bag and don't worry about how fast you chill. That's my humble advice...

neipa.JPG

This is a NEIPA I brewed containing the hops in each addition. Not fully carbed here but shows good haze.

Attachments

• neipa.JPG
    neipa.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. How do you open your keg and pull the hop filter out after it’s already pressurized? Isn’t that just another added risk of contaminating the beer?
I dry hop kegs at room temp warm for better hop utilization...not carbed, no pressure to speak of yet. I remove the hops, lower the temps then apply CO2 set and forget. Maybe a touch of O2 exposure opening the lid for removal, but low risk of contamination if you spray surfaces and your hands carefully with star san.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back