IPA With Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I have brewed a handful of IPA's and my last three were NEIPA. First one was good. But second and third went bad due to oxidation and dumped the two after a week in the keg. The recipe called for hop additions at whirlpool, dry hop at two days into fermentation remove at 4 days and another addition at four days and remove at seven days. This is where I believe my problem is with O2 exposure and during xfer to keg. Looking at the fermzilla where the trub can be dumped and hops added via bottom or top and closed xfer to the keg. My worries are, if trub is dumped at day four will I dump the yeast to early? Is the fermzilla going to be my answer to my issues. Read good and bad posts about it. Or should I invest in a SS conical like a BrewBuilt Uni conical?

fwiw, I do not remove dry hops before racking to a keg. As well, I have stopped doing multiple dry hop additions. After soft crashing under light CO2 pressure to 50°F for two days I dry hop in one big charge for just two days at that temperature, then hard crash under CO2 before closed transfer to kegs that have been CO2 purged by fermentation gas. All to avoid opening the fermentors.

Since starting this regimen at the beginning of the year (and with the notable use of 1 tsp of ascorbic acid dissolved in ~30 ml of warm water then injected into each keg prior to filling) I have had kegs of my haziest hoppiest neipas last for 4 months or more with no evident oxidative damage. They stay bright, aromatic and wonderful. Highly recommended!

Cheers!

Adding hops to the bottom of a Fermizilla is not a good idea as there's no easy way to avoid having all the air bubble up through your beer. (Personally I find the Fermzilla trub collector more hassle than it's worth and plan to swap out for an all-rounder or other type of pressure capable vessel altogether.) I know they make dry-hopping attachments for the top, but haven't looked into them myself..you can do a search on here to see how they work for others.

Latest posts

Back