What's Happening in NJ? Releases, News, Gatherings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone know where I could find a bottle of 2017 Gouden Carolus Cuveee van de Keizer BLUE in northern NJ? Need one to fill a gap in my vertical, any leads are appreciated thank you!

Where should I take someone that just moved to Somerville for a nice-ish meal? I've only ever been there for work purposes, so I have no idea where I ought to eat or drink.

I'm about to dive into some short rib tacos at Project PUB.

PUB/Tapastre are both great.

Verve in Somerville is pretty good if you are thinking directly in town. Other options if willing to drive 15 to 20 min

Never actually ate at Verve. Best cocktails around though.

Where should I take someone that just moved to Somerville for a nice-ish meal? I've only ever been there for work purposes, so I have no idea where I ought to eat or drink.
Tapastre has great tapas food and an excellent craft beer tap list. There are nice Tai and sushi places too but you’d have to look them up because my brain cells don’t have the capacity to store them.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I’ve got a 2012...
And he loves filling those gaps too
7Qdk.gif

I went to White Chapel Project in Long Branch like a week and a half ago I think. Its a brewpub, I guess. Huge gorgeous indoor/outdoor space, close to the beach. I suspect it will be packed in the summer.

Food was good. I had this fried burger thing that comes in some sort of enclosed potato bun. The rest of the menu sounded good and approachable. Nothing too boring, but nothing too out there either.

Beer was fine. The pale ale, IPA, DIPA, "American Ale," and the two saisons I tried tasted like accurate representations of the styles, but nothing mind blowing. All very standard offerings, but they're just starting.

Split a cocktail between 3 people just to try it. It was pretty terrible. Tasted like pre-made cocktail mix. I know for a fact they have some very talented folks on staff that know how to make a damn fine cocktail. However, the cocktail menu suggests to me that the recipes they're being forced to make are hot trash, which is too bad.

I will visit again, but probably not for a few months. Hopefully they can figure it out before the weather warms up.

Our friend Jin reached out to us this weekend to ask about deformed Regular Coffee Nitro cans. So we did a series of tests Saturday and some follow up extreme tests this morning. Some cans (3 of 48 tested) were over-pressurized. Not enough pressure to be dangerous but enough to deform a can.

We think that during one of the constant tweaks to the canning line's nitro doser, the tech adjusted it outside of the range for a 12oz. can, to a level intended for 16oz. cans.

The beer is as it should be. It will actually probably hold longer and cascade more beautifully when poured. The higher pressure isn’t enough to compromise the can’s seals, but the cans may misshape. We believe we have isolated the affected cans and pulled them from the stacks as of Sunday morning, but Jin is evidence that some are out there in the wilds of NJ.

If you have “popped up” Nitro Coffee cans and want a perfectly can-shaped cans, we totally understand and want to make it right. Please bring them back to Carton next time you are by, and we will exchange them for some cans we are holding for this purpose. If you aren’t bothered and drink from a deformed can, bring the empty in on your next visit, and your first Boat is on us. If getting to Carton is not convenient in your near future, shoot an email to [email protected] and we will sort something out

Just figured I would share this cause I’m sure some of you have bottles. Kane 1460 and all of their older anniversary beers are drinking fantastically. Don’t sleep on them. Well the barrel aged 365 was falling off but damn the rest have held up better than expected!

Just figured I would share this cause I’m sure some of you have bottles. Kane 1460 and all of their older anniversary beers are drinking fantastically. Don’t sleep on them. Well the barrel aged 365 was falling off but damn the rest have held up better than expected!

I always enjoy them with some age.

I still have a bottle of the original cork and cage 365, wondering how that will hold up. I'm definitely not excited to open the wax on 1825...that was brutal.

I still have a bottle of the original cork and cage 365, wondering how that will hold up. I'm definitely not excited to open the wax on 1825...that was brutal.

Yeah the wax... I thought 365 fell off. Now the barrel aged 730 was always exceptional. I think I had my last one less than a year ago but fresh... that thing was tight.

Anyone going to Carton today that could grab me a few cans of Churro or a mixed 4 pack? Lmk. Was planning on going but ear infections for the kids changed plans.

Anyone been to Hackensack Brewing yet? I usually give new places some time to get past the opening rush.

Sounds like early reports have been positive. Hopefully that little strip in Hackensack with Alementary can be a destination for Bergen County which is still a pretty challenging beer scene

Off Topic, but in talking about Bergen county beer scene, is there any place in Bergen county that does good to very good cocktails?

Everything is average vodka focused cocktails.

Dog and Cask was good for awhile but my last visit was Not good.

Anyone been to Hackensack Brewing yet? I usually give new places some time to get past the opening rush.

Sounds like early reports have been positive. Hopefully that little strip in Hackensack with Alementary can be a destination for Bergen County which is still a pretty challenging beer scene

I've heard positive reviews. I also tend to wait but the owner is a friend from my pre craft days... I need to check them out

also, for you hop heads... Zesty Jams at Brix might be the best juice I've had in some time from that style of beer.

I've heard positive reviews. I also tend to wait but the owner is a friend from my pre craft days... I need to check them out

also, for you hop heads... Zesty Jams at Brix might be the best juice I've had in some time from that style of beer.

I had two very superb pale ales at Alementary on Saturday night. Ive always enjoyed their stuff, but these felt next level. #notaffilated :)

Back