What's Happening in NJ? Releases, News, Gatherings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun fact: one of the two brothers/owners was my history teacher in high school. Will def stop by soon-let me know if you’re going!

LMK if you're coming by... it's very close to me.

I'm assuming they won't open Mon - Weds... so my visit will likely have to wait until after Denver

Montclair Brewery had their grand opening today. It was super busy, it is a very nice space, the owners and staff seem super nice, and the beer was ok. They had 8 beers on when I arrived. I tried them all. There was a rosemary session ale that I would drink a lot more of, and a citra mango sour ale that was legit good. There was one "IPA" that was (by their description) a hoppy version of one of their brown ales that was not good, and a different brown ale w/ honey and maple syrup that was too boozy, but otherwise pretty good. Everything else was just aight.

But I liked the variety, and I think they will end up making good beer.

I tried the Passion Fruit Pale and the saison. The pale was a lesson in acetaldehyde off flavor. It was a glass of green apple juice with some passion fruit flavoring. Also got it in a warm glass that wasn't rinsed so there was some fun cleaner flavor too. Can't even comment on the saison because I'm pretty sure I was given two of the same beer. I really hope that's the case and the saison didn't taste like acetaldehyde passion fruit juice. Waited 20 minutes to get that so I wasn't even going to try to send em back. Took 2 sips and walked out. Owners were hiding in the back. 2 staff pouring and 1 was getting/cleaning empties. They were definitely extremely overwhelmed. Every beer looked undercarbed or maybe everything being poured into a hot unrinsed glass was killing carb. Seemed like very nice people so I'll chalk this all up to inexperience and go back in a few months.

Two Ton was 1000x more organized. Much more staff pouring. They had 3 different bars setup. Main bar with all beers. Basement with 4 beers. And outside with 2 beers. Parking was easier than Montclair. They have a small shared lot that looks to be all theirs on the weekend. Plus street parking which again is fine on the weekend when the other businesses are all closed. Beer at Two Ton much better as they're not really new, just new to having their own space. Crowd at Montclair looked like it was just another stop on the basic fall weekend tour, with babies and small children included. Never seen that many babies at a brewery at one time before, but its Montclair so I'm not surprised. It'll definitely be more of a place to go rather than a place to go get quality beer. But again I'll give them time and try again in a few months and will be more than willing to update my critique of the beer. I'd love to speak with the owners to help fix the operational issues(there were many more than I listed). Not a brewer so I can't help them on that front.

I tried the Passion Fruit Pale and the saison. The pale was a lesson in acetaldehyde off flavor. It was a glass of green apple juice with some passion fruit flavoring. Also got it in a warm glass that wasn't rinsed so there was some fun cleaner flavor too. Can't even comment on the saison because I'm pretty sure I was given two of the same beer. I really hope that's the case and the saison didn't taste like acetaldehyde passion fruit juice. Waited 20 minutes to get that so I wasn't even going to try to send em back. Took 2 sips and walked out. Owners were hiding in the back. 2 staff pouring and 1 was getting/cleaning empties. They were definitely extremely overwhelmed. Every beer looked undercarbed or maybe everything being poured into a hot unrinsed glass was killing carb. Seemed like very nice people so I'll chalk this all up to inexperience and go back in a few months.

Two Ton was 1000x more organized. Much more staff pouring. They had 3 different bars setup. Main bar with all beers. Basement with 4 beers. And outside with 2 beers. Parking was easier than Montclair. They have a small shared lot that looks to be all theirs on the weekend. Plus street parking which again is fine on the weekend when the other businesses are all closed. Beer at Two Ton much better as they're not really new, just new to having their own space. Crowd at Montclair looked like it was just another stop on the basic fall weekend tour, with babies and small children included. Never seen that many babies at a brewery at one time before, but its Montclair so I'm not surprised. It'll definitely be more of a place to go rather than a place to go get quality beer. But again I'll give them time and try again in a few months and will be more than willing to update my critique of the beer. I'd love to speak with the owners to help fix the operational issues(there were many more than I listed). Not a brewer so I can't help them on that front.

what's the deal w/ Two Ton's beers? Are they good? any standouts?

All pretty decent. They do really good sours so be on the lookout. Had one on a secret line.

new breweries are becoming like new music. So many options, I can't sit and listen to one brand enough to get a feel for them. and then there are ones you dismiss simply by several bad reviews.

I do realize there is plenty of room to grow and a place like Montclair might do just fine with daytrippers and the stroller crowd, because it has great proximity.

There's enough share of throat for everyone ;)

new breweries are becoming like new music. So many options, I can't sit and listen to one brand enough to get a feel for them. and then there are ones you dismiss simply by several bad reviews.

I do realize there is plenty of room to grow and a place like Montclair might do just fine with daytrippers and the stroller crowd, because it has great proximity.

There's enough share of throat for everyone ;)
Exactly about Montclair. Thats a location driven brewery. I hope they don't turn into YT. Just stay away for a few months. They seem to have acknowledged their carb problem as per their latest facebook post. Also make a beer $6, not $6 plus tax

Kane releasing 3 BA Driftwood variants plus more tomorrow

This really checks all the awesome Facebook comment boxes:
  • Release during a dangerous storm
  • No online tickets/lottery
  • Limits too high
Well, I know what I'm doing the rest of the night.

I’d love to have them can Drift Wood... a guy can wish (no pun intended)

Kane releasing 3 BA Driftwood variants plus more tomorrow

This really checks all the awesome Facebook comment boxes:
  • Release during a dangerous storm
  • No online tickets/lottery
  • Limits too high
Well, I know what I'm doing the rest of the night.

You got some inside info MKtheGeneral?

I'm at a wedding in Newton so it's a 2 hour drive to Kane basically tomorrow for me if I want to go. I might try Sunday though if they have any left.
That’s right, just remembered you have that wedding. I’m scheming to see if there’s anyway I can make it down there as I’m geeked for the AB version.

I have them in my cart and am having trouble pulling the trigger. I don't really need more beer, but would be good to have for Secret Santa and such. They must have made a boatload of it this year

giphy.gif

Same.

giphy.gif

My reaction when I looked in my cellar and saw 50 other bottles of adjunct stout unopened collecting rust.

Yep that's exactly what I told my wife. I have **** sitting in the cellar going untouched. Why shell out for 3-6 more bottles to sit there in another few months. Think I'm gonna tidy up the cellar and drink some down this weekend instead.

I mainly grabbed them for biffing purposes...you can only send so much Referend out lol.

Mike. You can never send too much Referend. :D

I actually forgot about it. However, that guy who lives here* remembered. Haaa. We too have a ****ton of bottles, but it's a good beer and we owe some people some ****, so... we're now the proud owners of two sets. Congrats to us, woooo. :rolleyes:

*He didn't seem to know this thread existed until right now. It's like he's new around here or something. Pfffff.

Same.

giphy.gif

My reaction when I looked in my cellar and saw 50 other bottles of adjunct stout unopened collecting rust.
Don’t know how many I’ll even be keeping myself. Already took care of two close friends who weren’t going to be able to make it, prob have two for me/Mrs. and two for BIFs.

I mainly grabbed them for biffing purposes...you can only send so much Referend out lol. I just rearranged my cellar and came to a similar conclusion.

Mike. You can never send too much Referend. :D

I actually forgot about it. However, that guy who lives here* remembered. Haaa. We too have a ****ton of bottles, but it's a good beer and we owe some people some ****, so... we're now the proud owners of two sets. Congrats to us, woooo. :rolleyes:

*He didn't seem to know this thread existed until right now. It's like he's new around here or something. Pfffff.

Don’t know how many I’ll even be keeping myself. Already took care of two close friends who weren’t going to be able to make it, prob have two for me/Mrs. and two for BIFs.

The things we do to rationalize buying more beer...
MARON407-RATIONALIZATION.gif

What percentage of New Jersey breweries use a majority of their Facebook posts to talk about that day’s food truck.

Brutal

What percentage of New Jersey breweries use a majority of their Facebook posts to talk about that day’s food truck.

Brutal

dude! met one of your wine friends a couple weeks ago w/ Rob at LRVB in Kenilworth. We need to plan dinner there soon

Brutal

We are def on opposite end of state
Because I can’t think of any that constantly post about food trucks

We are def on opposite end of state
Because I can’t think of any that constantly post about food trucks

Inchwristing. There are atleast 5-7 I can think of that post constantly and almost never post their beer information. I suppose you can lump Trivia, Open Mic night and yoga into that mix as well.

Inchwristing. There are atleast 5-7 I can think of that post constantly and almost never post their beer information. I suppose you can lump Trivia, Open Mic night and yoga into that mix as well.

You sound like you're one of those tasting room purists.

Back