What's brewing in july?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry Berliner and Galaxy saison into serving kegs yesterday. Excited to do more drinking and less cleaning.

IME, the Sante culture (at least for Bernice) creates incredible tartness in less than a month

I've got a few mixed cultures going from sante stuff. Both the Berliner and saison I mentioned above used the same Bernice culture (gen 1 & gen 2) and are tasting awesome!

I have another From stenciled pages, others from different Bernice batches and one from the og cellerman release. The cellerman culture is the only one I haven't been stoked on right out of the gate. They are all mixed with various other yeasts grown from other dregs I grew up, so hard to say the direct impact but I do think sante and hf yeasts are where the magic happens.

Finally got a batch brewed yesterday. Off work and high of 80, even I couldn't come up with an excuse not to brew. I didn't drink at all and hit all my numbers dead on, but I'm going to chalk that up to coincidence. 12.5 gallons of saison @1.038. Now I just need to brew 5 more in the next couple weeks so I can fill my barrel back up right away when drain it.

06D2BA77-3CF6-4C65-A0A2-5A5D341552BC.jpg

Wheat beer with Kolsch yeast, 9+ months with CS dregs 3 of those with blackberry puree. Time to bottle

I was going to brew up a sour yesterday but I decided to get my mixed fermentation saison going again. A couple Belgian yeast strains (had a couple of dry yeast packets), Crooked Stave dregs I've had going for awhile, and three lacto strains. Hoping for some nice Belgian yeast character with a bit of funk and tartness. I "bittered" with Aramis at 5 minutes and added Nelson and El Dorado at flameout. If it turns out well I'll keep it going as a house culture.

Made 5 gallons of Berliner yesterday, cooled it to 120, and then dumped a whole carton of this in it instead of making a starter:
89177000205.jpg

Roughly 24 hours later and it has a super clean tartness to it and the mango flavor is still coming through. I'll let it go until this evening and then I'll do a 15 minute boil with an ounce of Hull melon hops.

Made 5 gallons of Berliner yesterday, cooled it to 120, and then dumped a whole carton of this in it instead of making a starter:
89177000205.jpg

Roughly 24 hours later and it has a super clean tartness to it and the mango flavor is still coming through. I'll let it go until this evening and then I'll do a 15 minute boil with an ounce of Hull melon hops.
I might have to steal that method next time I brew a Berliner. I've heard that you can buy lacto from pharmacies also.

89177000205.jpg

You heard it hear first. FTowne is the next danyP.

89177000205.jpg

Not quite there yet. I'll give it until tomorrow and see where it's at.

I wanna know how much mango aroma makes it through a 15 minute boil. What kind of vessel are you kettle souring in?
I moved the wort to a 5 gallon round cooler and covered it with Saran Wrap. I'm thinking that the mango will probably boil off.

American wheat ale got a dose of citra, motueka and pacific jade dry hops. The other half of that batch fermented with hefe yeast and had simply limeade added - tastes awesome. Will get bottled this weekend.

Mosaic citra saison got a dose of dry hops hops too, you guessed it... mosaic and citra. Will got bottled this weekend.

12.2% bourbon oak coconut stout tastes incredible, like a chocolate coconut explosion. Will get bottled this weekend.

I've never bottled 12 gallons in one day before... Holy **** I don't know if I have enough bottles.

American wheat ale got a dose of citra, motueka and pacific jade dry hops. The other half of that batch fermented with hefe yeast and had simply limeade added - tastes awesome. Will get bottled this weekend.

Mosaic citra saison got a dose of dry hops hops too, you guessed it... mosaic and citra. Will got bottled this weekend.

12.2% bourbon oak coconut stout tastes incredible, like a chocolate coconut explosion. Will get bottled this weekend.

I've never bottled 12 gallons in one day before... Holy **** I don't know if I have enough bottles.

That's entirely too much bottling. How did you add the coconut to the stout?

have fun cleaning all them bottles! saison and stout sound delicious!

That's entirely too much bottling. How did you add the coconut to the stout?

Toasted 7oz of cococnut at 325 for maybe 8 or 10 minutes, just until it barely started to turn brown and funneled it right into the better bottle (about 2.5 gal of beer). Coconut will have sat in there for 3-4 weeks. It's going to be a ***** to get all the coconut flakes out of my siphoning equipment but I figured future me can deal with that.

I've found that bottling day is the best time to have friends come over and help, because I can have them monotonously dunking bottles into buckets of oxyclean/starsan while I do more fun things.

Depends on what you are going for but I've always found coconut best when it's been lightly toasted and just turns yellow.

That's actually a better description of what I ended up with. I didn't even notice it was starting to turn yellow until took it out and stirred it up with a spatula a bit. Attempt #1 was burnt coconut city and went straight in the trash.

Just brewed Friday...
Blueberry Brett saison and a smoked maple stout. The saison started fermenting less than 3 hours after pitching.

Been in town for a total of 1 day this month, so probably won't get to brew anything. But I need to bottle up a raspberry dark sour and a mixed culture saison, which seems like a perfect job for early morning jetlag funtimes.

I wanna know how much mango aroma makes it through a 15 minute boil. What kind of vessel are you kettle souring in?
Boiled this last night. Still a slight mango aroma but it definitely faded. A little over 48 hours at roughly 100 degrees seems like the sweet spot for this souring method. I'll try to remember to post the final results after fermentation.

I thought I had an original creation in the works but it looks like the bastards from captain lawrence beat me to it. I added 2 pounds of wineberries to some berliner last night.

Im now left with 5 gallons of unfruited berliner. The elderberries have started to turn purple so its only a matter of days/weeks until I can start picking them and wrap up these berliners for the year. In the meantime, I might have to consider bottling/ kegging the black raspberry version which has been on fruit for a month now.

blueberry berliner is tasting killer after dryhopping and a few weeks in the keg. clean tartness and great balance of sweetness from the fruit.

need to get another one going soon!

Trying to get a few beers in the pipeline. Anyone have a solid go-to saison recipe? Would prefer to not use 3711. I'll probably serve this in September so ideally not something that takes a ton of time.

Trying to get a few beers in the pipeline. Anyone have a solid go-to saison recipe? Would prefer to not use 3711. I'll probably serve this in September so ideally not something that takes a ton of time.
Belle Saison dry yeast works extremely fast, but it's a love it or hate it strain of yeast.

Here's a recipe I did recently (tweaked a bit from a previous version) and really love it: http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/2015/07/saison-faible-batch-02-recipe.html

Follow the recipe for the 3726 version, as that's my favorite version of the bunch. YB Wallonian works really well on the same schedule, and I haven't had issues with 3724 stalling, though I generally give saisons 2-3 weeks at elevated temperatures. Definitely add Brett, as I frequently do. Secondary will give a more muted character (I really like Trois and Brett C as well as some East Coast Yeast stuff), and if in primary I generally ferment lower (~70*F) to let the Brett character develop more, as at elevated temperatures it seems like the saison yeast rips through everything before the Brett has a chance to do much, at least not until an extended secondary is finished up and the Brett has time to works its magic on the precursors created by the Sacch.

For the malt bill, the combination of the unmalted grains and the glycerol put off by 3726 gives a really nice fully, airy feel to the beer, and it then finishes quite dry. Of course, the high carb helps too. I normally go for 3-3.5 volumes. When begging, I have the PSI around 20-25.

Here are brief notes on the 3726 portion of the batch linked above (need to do a full write-up):

A: Heavy, creamy head atop a hazy golden beer. Great retention and heavy lacing on the way down. One of the best-looking beers that I've brewed. I love the rustic look of a hazy saison as opposed to one that pours crystal clear.

N: Strong with notes of mango, orange zest, honey, and a bit of pear. Almost a light, vanilla-like character as it warms.

T: Similar to the nose, but actually has a bit of tart cherry in the background. It's not a sour beer by any means, but there is a very faint tartness through the finish. Just a hint of earthy spice.

M: Full and creamy up front, but finishing quite dry. The oats and wheat added plenty of proteins, and it seems like this yeast produces plenty of glycerol, together leading to a lovely feel. At the same time, finishing around 1.002-1.004 doesn't leave much there, and the finish is accordingly quite dry.

O: Love this batch. While there is undoubtedly a bit of Brett going to work here (given the pellicle at kegging), its character is relatively muted compared to the Saccharomyces and hops.

Modern times has theirs posted on their site.
http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/year-round
I've used it twice an tweaked a little. Pretty tasty

But the problem with recipes like that is they don't give any water or pH information, which is really important in generally, and particularly so in saisons. Although, from the base recipe posted by Mad Fermentationist, is looks like he was just using his "San Diego" water profile: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/02/lomaland-saison-test-batch-2.html

He gives adjustments from DC water to achieve that profile, and also discusses the use of acid malt for pH adjustment in the comments.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130607000704/http://voyage.50webs.org/bbs.html
great notes from shaun hill on saison brewing...

I've used a starter grown from HF bottle dregs and had a saison that was tasting/drinking great at 3 weeks old. Only got better with time but was delicious right off.

I also love the combination of new age american hops with a brett/sach combination. Galaxy in a saison brings me to my knees.

Thanks for the notes and inspiration everyone. I think what I'll do is spend my free saturday brewing something kinda standard /blendable and dispose of a few HF/Sara 750s to throw on my stir plate to get going in a couple weeks. May or may not hit September mark but I guess worst case I have a clean saison to share and the nelson/galaxy ipa which is chugging away now.

Anyone else use the Cool Brewing fermentation bag thing? My wife got me one for Christmas 2013 and this is my first time using it...seems to be holding temp really well with a single 2L frozen bottle.

Brewed an IPA the other day with hops in the freezer...have to make room for the new crops. I have a hop addiction, over a pound used for this batch, mostly whirlpool and dry hopping. This one has simcoe, amarillo, centennial and galaxy...we'll see how these work together.

It's been over a year since I've brewed but I got a couple in the pipeline.

Alpine Nelson Clone that was pieced together from recipes here and reddit. Planning on brewing sunday.
Generic Hefeweizen kit from NB that i'm splitting with a newer homebrewer.

Latest posts

Back