What's brewing in july?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added 2oz Mosaic and 1oz Centennial to my session IPA. I'll move it to the freezer for a cold crash mid week and keg over the weekend. I also filled a couple growlers of my berliner and then tossed 2oz Citra in what's remaining in the keg. Looking forward to trying the berliner in a couple days.

For some reason I am unreasonably upset at J Wakefield's use of #oftenimitatedneverduplicated in today's instagram post, so very soon I will be making a berliner with guava, passionfruit, and mango, and I think I'll try to find a friend to do my first ever beer label and name the beer #Theimitation. Unlike Wakefield, it will not be kettle soured and will contain live lactobacillus. Also, I can't guarantee anything, but I haven't had any leaking cap or diacetyl issues yet.

For some reason I am unreasonably upset at J Wakefield's use of #oftenimitatedneverduplicated in today's instagram post, so very soon I will be making a berliner with guava, passionfruit, and mango, and I think I'll try to find a friend to do my first ever beer label and name the beer #Theimitation. Unlike Wakefield, it will not be kettle soured and will contain live lactobacillus. Also, I can't guarantee anything, but I haven't had any leaking cap or diacetyl issues yet.
Send one my way! I will happily promote the crap out of it.

Edit: Though #theduplication is maybe an even funnier name.

Send one my way! I will happily promote the crap out of it.

Edit: Though #theduplication is maybe an even funnier name.
****, I might use your name instead.

And I'll gladly send you one! (Only $20/bottle.)
Actually, I was thinking of sending bottles to some of the complaining OGs in the OG thread whenever it is ready. I'll check back in when it is done. And you can steal the dregs, but it'll probably just be lacto brevis + american ale yeast.

Why even bother with the beer part? Just carbonate some blended fruit juice.

Don't get me wrong, all of those liquids taste fine and all, but there's nearly zero "beer" character to them.

brewing up a table saison today with 2/3 pils, 1/3 flaked wheat, 1/3 kolsch. using wlp585 for the first time, dry hopping with azacca.
this flew down to 1.003. tossed an oz of azacca in last night and tasted it--looking good so far. a very mild tartness, which i didn't expect already, but i think it bodes well.

Man do I suck at this thread.

Not a single brew day in July so far.

10 gallons of oatmeal pale need to be kegged and dry hopped.

Can't do that until I free up some kegs by bottling the first half of a Citra APA and a Galaxy Wheat.

Second half of each of those needs to get off the dry hops last week.

Why am I even posting here?

Man do I suck at this thread.

Not a single brew day in July so far.

10 gallons of oatmeal pale need to be kegged and dry hopped.

Can't do that until I free up some kegs by bottling the first half of a Citra APA and a Galaxy Wheat.

Second half of each of those needs to get off the dry hops last week.

Why am I even posting here?
ISO Galaxy Wheat

Going to transfer a few beers off dry hops into serving kegs to carbonate. May bottle stuff next week if I can figure out how to delabel all these 750's I've been saving. Any tips?

Also planning to transfer some saisons off yeast into carboys for longer term aging. Will sample and one will end up on a **** load of organic raspberries we picked last weekend. Will harvest some yeast for later use.

Going to transfer a few beers off dry hops into serving kegs to carbonate. May bottle stuff next week if I can figure out how to delabel all these 750's I've been saving. Any tips?

Also planning to transfer some saisons off yeast into carboys for longer term aging. Will sample and one will end up on a **** load of organic raspberries we picked last weekend. Will harvest some yeast for later use.

Scrape us much off as you can after running the label under hot water. Then soak in a hot water/PBW solution for 15-30 minutes. A lot of labels just fall right off after that. I just use one of those big Rubbermaid tubs so I can fit 50+ bottles at a time. If any labels survive that, they head to the recycling bin, unless it's just a bit of glue, in which case I try some Goo-Gone. Certain breweries are really tough. Canton and Hill Farmstead both have glue that doesn't seem to come off no mater what I try.

Generic oxyclean for the labels. Two scoops per sink full. Most belgian labels come off in a couple minutes. Some US labels - HF and JP in particular - aren't really worth the effort.

Scrape us much off as you can after running the label under hot water. Then soak in a hot water/PBW solution for 15-30 minutes. A lot of labels just fall right off after that. I just use one of those big Rubbermaid tubs so I can fit 50+ bottles at a time. If any labels survive that, they head to the recycling bin, unless it's just a bit of glue, in which case I try some Goo-Gone. Certain breweries are really tough. Canton and Hill Farmstead both have glue that doesn't seem to come off no mater what I try.

Cantillon labels do suck. I usually soak for a couple days and then the glue will scrape/scrub off, but it's still a couple minutes per bottle.

Generic oxyclean for the labels. Two scoops per sink full. Most belgian labels come off in a couple minutes. Some US labels - HF and JP in particular - aren't really worth the effort.

So the 6 cases of HF 750's I have, I shouldn't bother trying? Just leave the labels on?

So the 6 cases of HF 750's I have, I shouldn't bother trying? Just leave the labels on?

I vaguely recall the labels being easyish to remove a few years ago, so maybe try some older bottles if you have them, but the last couple years at least are borderline impossible to remove and not worth the effort even if you can get them off.

Blueberry Berliner is apparently at 89% attenuation after checking today. Only one week old

Has a sharp tartness with a little blueberry flavor also a weird rhubarb flavor I can't put my finger on.

This is my base Pils/ Rye pale with Ella and HBC430 (it's getting dry hopped as we speak). It's uncarb'd but I'm loving it so far

OF7KcV0.jpg

I just leave labels on bottles and still use them if they survive a 24 hour soak in pbw. If they make it through that leaving them in a bucket of sanitizer for 2 mins won't do anything.

No sure if this will be this month or next but a buddy and I will be brewing up a big scotch ale we will be putting it in this:
fGXMnPeQKiNKZbfpD_G095tIA0DCoo5fym6zY9jC1po=w522-h927-no

"Fourth Use".
Rye Whiskey
Maple Syrup
Imperial Stout
Scotch Ale

10.5gal

30# MO
1.8# Special B
1# Caramunich
1# Carapils
12oz Pale Chocolate
3# DME
1.104 OG

Magnum and EKG for hops

HUGE WLP028 starter(s) likely 2x 4L

Estimated FG 1.032 for 9.2%ish

Thoughts? Anything we should change?

was stupid lazy yesterday and did no kegging or cleaning. did some tasting though.

notes:
citra saison with hf/sante yeast culture. killer, love citra with these yeasts. can't wait to taste in 3-4 months once it has a little tartness to it.

rye saison with casey/sante culture...meh. only 2.5 weeks old.

'solera' carboy with bernice culture. awesome. surprised it tastes so good considering it was the left over wort from 5 brew days (added weekly over a month, I measure volume like I imagine danyP does). hoppy and bright.
IME, the Sante culture (at least for Bernice) creates incredible tartness in less than a month

Back