1 Gal fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I realize there is a thread for 1 gal brewers, but thought this forum was more appropriate. Or equipment forum. Please move if I am wrong :)

I am getting ready to order some 1 gal fermenters. Some of these don't have a lot of reviews so I was hoping to get some input. I have seen the little big mouth, both plastic and glass. Auto siphon doesn't matter. I will bottle and since I am using 500ml flip tops it will only take 7-8.

The other is the fermonster. Much cheaper, but I haven't seen much on this.

I haven't seen any others. One of the few issues I have seen is the gaskets.

What am I missing? Thanks!

Even though it may require additional cost outlay, have you considered the cheap 1.6G mini-kegs? I only did a small experimental batch in one once and though it wasn't that great, the problem was I should have used a floating diptube in it. (lots of trub :p ) With a floating diptube you could force-carb too and the keg is small enough to fit in any fridge to cold-crash.

Even though it may require additional cost outlay, have you considered the cheap 1.6G mini-kegs? I only did a small experimental batch in one once and though it wasn't that great, the problem was I should have used a floating diptube in it. (lots of trub :p ) With a floating diptube you could force-carb too and the keg is small enough to fit in any fridge to cold-crash.
I have not. I would have to look at cost and if I just experimenting I don't want to go too deep with cost.

have you considered the cheap 1.6G mini-kegs?
I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO these aren't that cheap anymore. I got two for around $40 each a while ago, but it's hard to find them for less than twice that anymore. For the record, I've never tried fermenting in one.

I think the Little BMB is a bit bigger than the Fermonster, giving you more headspace for krausen if you want to ferment a full gallon.

brew demon has 1 and 3 gallon miniconicals that are nice.

https://brewdemon.com/products/brewdemon-baby-conical-fermenter
1 gallon is small more options exist in 2-3 gallons which yo could prolly use for 1 gallon batches . i dont think headspace is really that much of an issue. and you always have room to upsize if you use 2 gallon fv's

i spent several years small batch brewing in mr beer lbk's. they have there advantage at 2 gallons. also

but anything thats food grade could be used as an fv . you definately want a wide opening for easy cleaning. and rounded corners not edged so it traps less gunk. i prefer spigotted fv's rather than siphoning, its just less involved. the beauty about small fv's is they can usually fit in a fridge for cold crashing or even lagering. or long term cold conditiong. or can fit in a dorm fridge with inkbird for temp control. (which is more important the smaller the volume of liquid) .
see through is definately more fun but prolly not as good casue you have to keep it in dark.
last thing is you really want somehting more like 6 or 8 liters if doing 1 gallon bathces to leave space for kreusen. (unless doing ferments with low protein like certain wines or ciders with less kreusen).

just my 2 cents

good luck

I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO these aren't that cheap anymore. I got two for around $40 each a while ago, but it's hard to find them for less than twice that anymore. For the record, I've never tried fermenting in one.

I think the Little BMB is a bit bigger than the Fermonster, giving you more headspace for krausen if you want to ferment a full gallon.
Hmm...I haven't actually seen the prices lately. The experimental batch I did in it was just to use up ingredients I had laying around and I figured the convex rather than concave bottom might be ideal for tucking more trub 'out of the way' if using a floating diptube, but I neglected to do so and thought I might try that out some other time that hasn't come. I was thinking the cost of CO2 gear to be the worst, but I'm biased in favour of force-carbing even for bottling.

Not exactly what you asked, but I like 2-gal food-grade plastic buckets. Cheap, available, easy to clean, and does exactly what you need. I’m mostly doing high-gravity beers on the small fermenters, so the extra headspace is a useful feature too.

I have a couple little BMBs, glass. They are a little more than one gallon in size and so provide enough headspace for my one gallon batches. I love the wide opening, makes cleaning easy. Mine don’t have a spigot so I use a mini auto siphon. Overall very happy with them.

Little BMBs (1.4 gal total capacity, 1.25 gal max batch size) and 2 gal pails 2.0 gal total capacity, ,1.75 gal max batch size).

I have some of each (1 gal carboy, Little BMB, and 2 gal pails). I use the
  • carboys for Star San
  • Little BMBs (un-spigoted) for 1.25 gal batches (aka 6 pack + early samples)
  • 2 gal pails for 1.75 gal batches (aka 12 packs)
I also have a 3 gal (plastic narrow neck) fermenter for 2.75 gal (24 pack) batches.

Given what I know now, if I had started with 2.5 gal batches, my second fermenter would have been a 2 gal pail.

I have four 1-gallon plastic Little Big Mouth Bubblers and really like them. I also had a couple of 1-gallon Fermonsters and chucked them both. They're just smaller enough compared to the LBMBs that head space is an issue, they're flimsier/cheaper plastic, and they only have a gasket on one side of the spigot (as opposed to both sides on the LBMB) which in my use at any rate caused a minor amount of leakage.

Not exactly what you asked, but I like 2-gal food-grade plastic buckets. Cheap, available, easy to clean, and does exactly what you need. I’m mostly doing high-gravity beers on the small fermenters, so the extra headspace is a useful feature too.
If I were going to do one gallon batches I'd use them.

I am getting ready to order some 1 gal fermenters. Some of these don't have a lot of reviews so I was hoping to get some input.
Did you order your fermenters?

I have a mix of small fermenters. The PET LBMB are my favorite. I have the ones with a spigot so I can bottle directly from the fermenter. I have had the lid pop off with a aggressive kveik ferment. The Fermonster ones are also very nice. The Fermonster ones are a bit thin (just like the 3-gallon ones), but they work fine. The LBMB have enough headspace to start with 1.2 to 1.3 gals of wort to get 1 gal of finished beer, where the Fermonster handle about 1 gal of wort. I also have a pair of the glass LBMB and I don't recommend them.

Did you order your fermenters?

I have a mix of small fermenters. The PET LBMB are my favorite. I have the ones with a spigot so I can bottle directly from the fermenter. I have had the lid pop off with a aggressive kveik ferment. The Fermonster ones are also very nice. The Fermonster ones are a bit thin (just like the 3-gallon ones), but they work fine. The LBMB have enough headspace to start with 1.2 to 1.3 gals of wort to get 1 gal of finished beer, where the Fermonster handle about 1 gal of wort. I also have a pair of the glass LBMB and I don't recommend them.
I finally got around to getting some of the little big mouth bubblers. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back