Interesting Efficiency Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since switching to a Brewzilla around Christmastime, I have experienced wild swings in efficiency. At first I attributed this to two base malts purchased during a club trip. Everyone from the club has had issues with them, but as my use progressed, I learned that my numbers are noticeably lower than those the others are experiencing. Then yesterday I brewed a batch without including those malts and still had the issue.

This prompted me to review my recipes and brewing log. I realized that while the batches that included the suspect malt came in lower, it appears that the issue is tied to recipes that I created/modified since switching to the brewzilla.

Since the switch, I've brewed 3 of my "original" recipes. All three came in roughly as expected: one measured higher, the other two just about dead on. It is only happening with recipes created specifically "for" the brewzilla. This leads me to believe it's not exactly an efficiency issue per se.

I use Brewer's Friend to formulate my recipes. I am admittedly no expert with their software. I suspect that I am choosing options which cause my new recipes to report a higher yield than is actually possible at 70-75% efficiency on my system.

Does anyone else use Brewzilla and Brewer's Friend? Or know Brewer's Friend well enough to identify the setting I may be using incorrectly? Another clue is that since entering Brewzilla into the equipment field, it no longer gives me a pre-boil OG. Well, it does, but it's the same as the target OG. That was a major clue that I am doing something wrong in Brewer's Friend as opposed to my actual process/equipment, with the three "good" batches from old recipes as more evidence.

This is yesterday's recipe. The OG came in at 1.041 with almost dead on 5 gallons into the fermenter.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1449814/lager-test

Thanks for any help.

So you were using Brewers Friend before and after the Brewzilla, and only had efficiency issues since updating the equipment?

I quick punched your numbers into BeerSmith3 mobile (which I am equally shaky on understanding) and came up with a similar 1.055 predicted at 70%. What threw me for a loop, is that is a brewhouse efficiency, and not a mash extraction efficiency. So whether I leave 0, 0.5, or 2 gallons of trub behind, it predicts 5 gallons of 1.055 in the fermenter. So maybe trub losses and brewhouse vs lauter efficiency are to blame?

Why do you say your system has 70 - 75% efficiency? Have you run the numbers on your mash/lauter efficiency and brew house efficiency to see if your actuals really are that?

There was another thread here somewhere that eventually they figured out they needed to adjust the mash or lauter efficiency in Brewer's Friend. Which IIRC isn't on the main recipe page. You have to click into the mash process.

when switching systems, it took me several brews to realize that it takes several brews to figure out efficiency when you change to a new system. regardless of what the system is.

Two words... Equipment. Profile.

I am not familiar with Brewers Friend. I have used Beersmith for 10+years and the first thing any user should do when getting a new system is create a custom equipment profile. It doesn't matter if your recipe creation software has the system you bought in the database... those stock profiles were made by other brewers and their process will rarely be the same as yours. If you don't you will always have unexpected swings in gravity, volume, etc.

Why do you say your system has 70 - 75% efficiency? Have you run the numbers on your mash/lauter efficiency and brew house efficiency to see if your actuals really are that?

There was another thread here somewhere that eventually they figured out they needed to adjust the mash or lauter efficiency in Brewer's Friend. Which IIRC isn't on the main recipe page. You have to click into the mash process.
Of course I could be wrong, but I am basing that on my 3 “old recipe” brews, all of which came in as expected.

So you were using Brewers Friend before and after the Brewzilla, and only had efficiency issues since updating the equipment?

I quick punched your numbers into BeerSmith3 mobile (which I am equally shaky on understanding) and came up with a similar 1.055 predicted at 70%. What threw me for a loop, is that is a brewhouse efficiency, and not a mash extraction efficiency. So whether I leave 0, 0.5, or 2 gallons of trub behind, it predicts 5 gallons of 1.055 in the fermenter. So maybe trub losses and brewhouse vs lauter efficiency are to blame?
1. Correct

2. I doubt its a trub issue. The brewzilla drains almost completely with little trub or hop losses (I use hop bags).

Two words... Equipment. Profile.

I am not familiar with Brewers Friend. I have used Beersmith for 10+years and the first thing any user should do when getting a new system is create a custom equipment profile. It doesn't matter if your recipe creation software has the system you bought in the database... those stock profiles were made by other brewers and their process will rarely be the same as yours. If you don't you will always have unexpected swings in gravity, volume, etc.
This is exactly where I think the problem lies. I think I did something wrong when I entered the new system.

Back