What is your Brewing Pet-Peeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ktblunden said:
In all the articles I've found written by Jamil where he uses the word he spells it "fermenter." So he isn't consistent about it.

EDIT:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1235/MAzym07_YeastStarter.pdf
“After 60 minute boil, strain into fermenter…”

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1249/MJzym06_LateHops.pdf
“…cool and transfer to the fermenter as quickly as possible.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
“…huge pile of yeast in the fermenter at the end.”

http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php
“Reduced cold break in the fermenter” & “…rack clear wort to the fermenter and leave…” & “…sending all that cold break into the fermenter and you're going…” & “…you can leave it behind when you transfer to your fermenter.”

Fair enough. I'll write in for the next Brew Strong y preguntar por una corrección.

VladOfTrub said:
Things like: So my first brew ever is a vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon, chamomile, honey, chocolate, molasses, cherry wheat Czech pilsner. Fermented it for 7 days in a bucket in the closet, next to the laundry basket and cat litter box. Noticed that there were bluish white lily pads floating on top with white tenticles hanging down and bubbly pumpkin chunks. So but from reading the posts on HBT, the lily pads, and chunks are fine. So when siphoning, the auto-siphon fell into the laundry sink where my swmbo washes the dog and the kids when they play in the barn yard. There was some lemmon scented bleach next to the diaper pail. So I dipped the siphon in that. So now the beer is 2 weeks in the bottle. So why does my beer taste like a goat smells? So can it be infected? So or can I rdw and drink my beer? So once the tripletts get bigger can I use the diaper pail for a bottling bucket if I use Star San to clean it?

That's hilarious. I don't know if it's just a combination of being sleepy and the home brew in my hand, but I could barely get through the whole post because I was laughing so much.

-Novice brewers adding all kinds of crazy ingredients to their first beers despite being advised to gain experience brewing base beers first, ...

Guilty, but only of that much. I can't help but to add stuff to a big pot.

I'm new to homebrewing, so I am probably guilty of most of the pet peeves on here so far.

As a general observation though, I think there are two types of snobs:

1. Beer Snobs (people who ridicule/question BMC drinkers)
2. Hop snobs (People who ridicule/question anything with less than xx IBUs)

I admit, I do consider myself a beer snob, I think most of us are. Hop snobs are like the "Comic Book Guy" of Beer.

Comic Book Guy: Ack. There is no "emoticon" to express what I am feeling right now.

But wait, there is! :mug:

I do, however, think new brewers should be encouraged to work on their own recipes.

I do all my own recipes (started around batch 4 or so, and continuing for the past 6 years). I couldn't imagine brewing any other way.

But it's not for everyone. I use the example of my wife. She's a great cook. She can look at recipes and know whether they're going to taste good or not. But she doesn't create her own recipes. She just doesn't care to do so. Yet her food rocks, and unfortunately my waistline reflects that.

Some folks aren't as into creating recipes as you or I. Some folks love clone recipes, or just brewing the stuff from Brewing Classic Styles. If they make good beer, well then :mug: to them.

People who respond to simple questions with complicated, advanced, and way too technical answers for the average brewer. Yes it might be true or based on real brewing science, but how does it help the 99.9% who aren't that technical?

Brewsmith said:
People who respond to simple questions with complicated, advanced, and way too technical answers for the average brewer. Yes it might be true or based on real brewing science, but how does it help the 99.9% who aren't that technical?

I actually don't see a problem with that as long as it actually answers the question. It's nice for people who can grasp more advanced concepts. The less scientifically inclined always have the option of asking to have the answer reworded in simpler terms.

I actually don't see a problem with that as long as it actually answers the question. It's nice for people who can grasp more advanced concepts. The less scientifically inclined always have the option of asking to have the answer reworded in simpler terms.
I don't disagree. It's just sometimes around here a newer brewer asks a fairly straightforward question, and the poor guy gets bombarded with different answers, many of which are correct. If they would just stop trying to play brewer know-it-all and try to relate to where that brewer is at, the OP will have a solution that works that is also at his knowledge base.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't assume that everyone here is an advanced or technical brewer.

This all coming from an original EAC. :D

pkia's on this forum.

You ask a simple question and you get a 2 hour doctoral thesis from a pompous know it all. Then , god forbid you make a reply they don't like they flame you in another 2 hour dissertation. We all know who they are!

+1,000

When I share my beer with people who don't really drink homebrew much and they select a large 20oz-64oz mug, fill it to the top before even tasting the beer, take two sips and tell me how delicious it is (lies), and then act like the mug became invisible.

It's fine if people don't like my beer, there's a gas station down the street that will sell you all the Bud Light you can haul, but at least just try a sample first before wasting beer that I would be more than happy to drink.

This has become less of a problem because now I put out smaller sample glasses and then 12oz glasses behind that. That and my beer is getting better as I improve as a brewer so people are finishing their beers most of the time.

The problem with your brewing getting better(if there is one) is that now you become the beer guy for every party. I love the hobby, and don't mind sharing, but when you make a nice big beer or one that has a $45 grain bill for a 5 gal batch it gets to be a bit much. And the money isn't even the big part for me, it's the time it takes to make a good beer. You can't drink all my Zombie dust clone, then say "hey, can you bring some of that to the party I'm having in two weeks.":cross:

turkeyjerky214 said:
I'm definitely gonna piss off a few people with this, but here goes anyway....

People who enter recipes that aren't their own into competitions. I know a lot of people swear that if you brew it, it's your beer, but I don't agree with that. You're following a recipe that someone else came up with. You may have brewed it, but it's not your beer. Just like when people follow a recipe out of a book exactly as written, and then try to pass it off as their dish.

I've got a friend that just pulls recipes that have won people medals at NHC and brews them specifically to win awards. He's got a lot more medals than me, but I know that the ones I won were earned with my own recipes.

Maybe they want feedback on their beer, which is the beiggest benefit of a competition, in my opinion. I entered competitions long before I was any good at developing recipes, and my beers improved by leaps and bounds because of the feedback that I got..

But no, your misguided opinion doesn't piss me off at all!

My pet peeve is people who start their pet peeves with "new brewers".

Lumbergh gave me this stapler. I think you are looking for it? Ha. Hah hah. Hahahahaha! (apparently you didn't get the memo)

2012-05-26_at_22_33_27.jpg

whitehause said:
The problem with your brewing getting better(if there is one) is that now you become the beer guy for every party. I love the hobby, and don't mind sharing, but when you make a nice big beer or one that has a $45 grain bill for a 5 gal batch it gets to be a bit much. And the money isn't even the big part for me, it's the time it takes to make a good beer. You can't drink all my Zombie dust clone, then say "hey, can you bring some of that to the party I'm having in two weeks.":cross:

Can you please share your Zpmbie Dust recipe? I love that stuff!!

Man after yesterday, wind is my pet peeve. I could barely keep a boil going with my burner. What a pia.

Man after yesterday, wind is my pet peeve. I could barely keep a boil going with my burner. What a pia.

This. On windy brew days it looks like the neighborhood kids have built a fort in the driveway with how many chairs and plywood boards I have stacked up to shield my burner.

I am gonna brew it again this weekend: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

As far as pet peeves go, do cleaning after brew day and sanitizing bottles count? They are my top 2.

Yep.....gota give Skeezer props for the recipe, and yes it is awesome!!!
I changed a couple of things from the original recipe, but not enough that it should make a big difference from the recipe in that thread. Don't hesitate to brew it, you won't be disappointed.

whitehause said:
Yep.....gota give Skeezer props for the recipe, and yes it is awesome!!!
I changed a couple of things from the original recipe, but not enough that it should make a big difference from the recipe in that thread. Don't hesitate to brew it, you won't be disappointed.

That is definitely next up on brew day. Honestly one of the best pale ales I have ever tried.

My pet peeves:

Belgian "Beer" look if it has fruit in it it is not beer.

The sanitize everything hot side comes from John Palmer, so he is my pet peeve.

Beer recipes with ingredients that are not easy to get, Belgian double peat roasted extra dark malt, really?

Notty is the British slang term for the the town of Nottingham. you know "Bean Town" for Boston sort of thing.

Two things come to mind here...

I understand why all grain is appealing and all (I like using AG and extract depending on my mood, type of beer, time budget, etc.), however I hate how the elitists out there think you are not a "real brewer" unless you go AG. Some folks don't have the time or space to go all grain, it doesn't make them less of a brewer. I know this is a topic that has been brought up several times but just had to throw that one out there.

Also, once I posted a thread on a different beer forum that had a small section devoted to homebrewing, I asked what everyone drank while brewing. I got a very snooty response from several members about how they didn't "hamper their brewing senses" by drinking during the process.... Give me a break!!! That was the last time I got on that forum, and how I found this one. I personally don't find anything wrong with enjoying a homebrew while brewing another batch. It gets me in the mindset and hyped up about brewing. I'm not talking about getting trashed before brewing, just enough to have fun doing it. So all you beer uppities out there, just lighten the heck up please.

I guess they are not directly related to the brewing process, well kinda, but definitely my pet peevs.

I understand why all grain is appealing and all (I like using AG and extract depending on my mood, type of beer, time budget, etc.), however I hate how the elitists out there think you are not a "real brewer" unless you go AG. Some folks don't have the time or space to go all grain, it doesn't make them less of a brewer. I know this is a topic that has been brought up several times but just had to throw that one out there.

Also, once I posted a thread on a different beer forum that had a small section devoted to homebrewing, I asked what everyone drank while brewing. I got a very snooty response from several members about how they didn't "hamper their brewing senses" by drinking during the process.... Give me a break!!! That was the last time I got on that forum, and how I found this one. I personally don't find anything wrong with enjoying a homebrew while brewing another batch. It gets me in the mindset and hyped up about brewing. I'm not talking about getting trashed before brewing, just enough to have fun doing it. So all you beer uppities out there, just lighten the heck up please.

I guess they are not directly related to the brewing process, well kinda, but definitely my pet peevs.

I've been brewing for a long time, both home and commercial... I have no beef with a well made extract brew, none at all. Heck, when I am in a situation where I don't have the room or time to AG, I will do extract and like it :D

While I rarely drink when I am brewing at home, I have no issues with doing so. Mainly it's because I usually brew in the morning... like starting at 7:30 or 8:00... When brewing in the afternoon, or on the rare occasion I am brewing with someone, I am very much inclined to raise a glass in honor of the beer being born. Like The Lion King, it's the circle of life! :ban:

I don't disagree. It's just sometimes around here a newer brewer asks a fairly straightforward question, and the poor guy gets bombarded with different answers, many of which are correct. If they would just stop trying to play brewer know-it-all and try to relate to where that brewer is at, the OP will have a solution that works that is also at his knowledge base.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't assume that everyone here is an advanced or technical brewer.

This all coming from an original Tuba playing EAC. :D

I restrain myself (as a tuba playing scientist) to only get all "sciencey" when that is what the poster is looking for, or when trying to explain why a particular statement is not technically accurate (trying to fix 1+ 2 = 4). I do like to try and make sure that information spread on this forum is technically accurate. I try to keep it to the areas that I actually have some qualifications in

I restrain myself (as a tuba playing scientist) to only get all "sciencey" when that is what the poster is looking for, or when trying to explain why a particular statement is not technically accurate (trying to fix 1+ 2 = 4). I do like to try and make sure that information spread on this forum is technically accurate. I try to keep it to the areas that I actually have some qualifications in
Well said, and nice edit! Everyone needs more tuba!:rockin:

I'm with ya. Even if you're AG, you're still following a recipe. You're not a freaking Jedi.
I usually brew late at night when it's cooler in Texas, so i'm always having a brew. It's just seems fitting.

I asked what everyone drank while brewing. I got a very snooty response from several members about how they didn't "hamper their brewing senses" by drinking during the process.
I like to have a homebrew while brewing, but I can see their point a little. If I have more than a couple, I start forgetting stuff, like the boil is going, or the hops actually go in the kettle, or how to read a thermometer. Too much homebrew for me equals homebrew fail.

I'm with ya. Even if you're AG, you're still following a recipe. You're not a freaking Jedi.
I usually brew late at night when it's cooler in Texas, so i'm always having a brew. It's just seems fitting.

I like to have a homebrew while brewing, but I can see their point a little. If I have more than a couple, I start forgetting stuff, like the boil is going, or the hops actually go in the kettle, or how to read a thermometer. Too much homebrew for me equals homebrew fail.

Yeah, I limit myself to one... during the boil...

a while back I forgot to add some candi sugar to a Belgian Pale Ale during the boil ... and while I'd like to claim it was due to my setting to the side it was only *part* of the problem. *duh* lesson learned. Instead I let my friends / neighbors come over and drink to excess, I can enjoy their company while ensuring a nice brew comes out in the end. :rockin:

even I'm tweaking a recipe to make it my own I'm still following a recipe...

I've tweaked enough I've made less than a stellar beer, but it was beer and learned what not to do again. That said made a crowd pleaser low gravity brown that I was less than happy with but the BMC crowd loved and took it willingly off my draft fast enough I didn't mind!

OK...after reading the last 20 pages (instead of starting a brew session due to heavy rains and wind) here are a few more:

1. Everybody's wort chiller can get the wort down to 70 F in 10 minutes where mine takes around 15-20 to do 5 gallons. (It is a 50 ft 3/8 inch chiller).

2. People returning my empty bottles w/o rinsing them first. Mold does not help my brewing.

3. My kegging system sonetimes just springs a very slow leak while I am out of town for several days and I come back to an empty CO2 bottle.

4. How propane refills by Blue Rhino exchange systems give around 16-18 lbs of propane instead of a full 20 lbs.

5. The endless number of new threads comparing brewing with aluminum versus stainless steel brew pots.

Back