What is your Brewing Pet-Peeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am.

ObiWanMindTrick.jpg

This is all I could think of when reading your post.

Crank and shake method of force carbonation. I tried this once. Huge mistake.

Mine is; people that think that THEIR way of doing things is the only way it should be done, and belittle others that do things differently. The other thing is the raging beer snobs that bash BMC as the "evil empire", or act like people that do drink it are somehow uneducated, backwards rednecks that don't know what good beer is. Granted, I don't drink stuff from the mega breweries, but I don't bash those that do.

+1 Although, Iwill drink some BMC if it is in the fridge. As a matter of fact, I have a little PBR from a recent beachtrip...:)

People that think you absolutely have to do something a certain way. Brewing is fun and relaxing and there's more than one way to do it.

It annoys me when you see a thread where someone is revealing their techniques and someone else tells them they shouldn't do something a certain way just because it's not the way the person critiquing does it even after being told the way works fine for that particular brewer.

Yes, I know that is a run on sentence.

Here's mine
1 sours take time
2 people that skimp on hops to save money, if the beer's supposed to have hop flavor add enough hops
3 style guidelines

Believing everyone below your level of expertise or equipment is ignorant and brewing swill.

11 pounds of hops, 16 different types; and I still will have to substitute at least one kind in any recipe I want to try.

Thinking in black and white, when the answer is somewhere in the vast infinite shades of gray.

Not having running water in my my shop.

People who complain about me being "anal" about my brewing. Wine thief, fementor lid, and hydrometer tube. Three things; only two hands. I have to hold the other one how ever possible.

to, two, and too.

I personally don't care for the term SWMBO. Just say wife or girlfriend.

I'm with you on that one. My wife and I have a good relationship. I don't have to obey her nor do I. Same goes with her. She doesn't have to obey me.

But, people like typing it so I leave them be.

I am a fairly new brewer (although I did a few batches with a roommate decades ago) and I just shake my head when I read some of the things new brewers are putting in their beers. I am concentrating on learning to brew the styles I like and learning about new styles I may want to try one day.

I do, however, think new brewers should be encouraged to work on their own recipes. Using one of the software programs to try and create my own recipes has helped me learn about various base malts, specialty grains, and yeast strains. Once I design a beer, I compare it to other recipes for that style and read up on what ingredients are common to a particular style. Depending on what I learn, I may then tweak my recipe. So far, I am making pretty good beer even if it lacks cherries, peach pits, and anti-fungal powder as ingredients. That said, I am sure enjoying my keg of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde.

If it weren't for people experimenting we wouldn't have several different styles of beer for you to learn to brew.

When a decent, well thought out post meant to develop some genuine discussion dies with three posts, and the " I had a bag of Rosie O'Donnell leg hair lying around, so I threw it in the boil, do you think it will taste okay" goes on for twelve pages.

When a decent, well thought out post meant to develop some genuine discussion dies with three posts, and the " I had a bag of Rosie O'Donnell leg hair lying around, so I threw it in the boil, do you think it will taste okay" goes on for twelve pages.

Hahahaha +100

- fly sparging... I hate that term. Where did it come from? It's been the standard sparging form for a very long time, it doesn't need a special term

It comes from the phrase "on the fly". It started around the time brewing became industrializwed and they started trying to eke every last point of extract out of a mash for economic reasons. It actually hasn't been around all that
ong compared to how long brewing has been around.

I don't know why - but it kinda irks me that Revvy isn't a Moderator. If that can't happen, at least he should get some sort of a designator next to his name. Or a flash with a lightning bolt. Or something.

Heres mine:-

1. LHBS owners that think AG is a waste of time just because they only stock extract. I was once told by a store owner, "Why do you want to bother with that ****? You can make beers just as good if not better with some of these cans here"
2. Work mates who want you to bring in samples of your beers so they can try it, then if they like one expect you to just give them a carton of it because you home brew and "It doesnt cost much"
3. Other workmates who dont like your HB and say, "Why do you bother trying to make fancy beers? I only drink to get pissed, and drink VB, bud etc.
4. SWMBO, shes my wife not someone I have to obey, and vica versa.
5. The time it takes from brew to glass. Wish I could be drinking it sooner.:mug:

Have you ever posted on another forum? That's the way most of them operate.

i hate subway. i don't want to coach someone on how to make a sandwich- i want to point at the picture or say a number and that's it. extra pickle, hold the mayo whatever- but i want you to meet me at the register with a finished product, without me having to hold your f-ing hand while you do your job. If i were an expert at making sandwiches, i would be the one working at the sandwich shop- not you. this doesn't really have to do with brewing but i really hate subway.

I laughed so damn hard reading this :D

Have you ever posted on another forum? That's the way most of them operate.

I post on a few cigar forums, mostly cigarbid. Sometimes it goes that way, others it kicks off some good discussion.
But, I agree that you can't chase off a troll if you keep feeding him.

She
Who
Must
Be
Obeyed

Comes from the book "She" from the 1920s-30s IIRC. Popularized in the BBC series "Rumpole of the Bailey".

Thanks. I've figured out what most of the slang on this site means, except that one. We need a slang "sticky."
There's similar terms for wife/girlfriend on almost every forum i've ever visited. Makes me wonder if there's a girl-centric forum out there that has a word for us?

My personal pet peeve is starters. I would just as soon pitch two vials than make one. But since that is cost prohibitive I still use starters. Just annoying to make essentially small batches of weak beer that I then decant off and discard. I know its easy and is very useful but it bothers me somehow. I also hate bunnies.

My personal pet peeve is starters. I would just as soon pitch two vials than make one. But since that is cost prohibitive I still use starters. Just annoying to make essentially small batches of weak beer that I then decant off and discard. I know its easy and is very useful but it bothers me somehow. I also hate bunnies.

Ever try dry yeast? Almost every beer I make, I use dry (exceptions are basically Belgians & Saison, where there's no good dry strain). A single pack of dry is enough cells for 5gal of average-strength ale, and 2 packs of dry (for big beers) is roughly the cost of a single vial of liquid.

Since I'm doing larger (10 gal) batches, the time and DME needed to build up big starters is just a royal pain in the arse. Hell, when I made a lager, I figured buying 4 packs of yeast was going to be a lot better for my mental health than trying to build up a starter to a gallon or larger...

I just started two 5 gal batches using pacman which I hope to wash and make my house strain. I figure if I use it fresh I can avoid starters and just make more beer. I keep dry on hand for emergency purposes but don't usually brew with it. What dry strain would be closest to pacman do you think?

i just started two 5 gal batches using pacman which i hope to wash and make my house strain. I figure if i use it fresh i can avoid starters and just make more beer. I keep dry on hand for emergency purposes but don't usually brew with it. What dry strain would be closest to pacman do you think?

us05

I just started two 5 gal batches using pacman which I hope to wash and make my house strain. I figure if I use it fresh I can avoid starters and just make more beer. I keep dry on hand for emergency purposes but don't usually brew with it. What dry strain would be closest to pacman do you think?

If you're going to get into yeast washing, you beat the price point of dry yeast. So might as well stick with the pacman.

Ever try dry yeast? Almost every beer I make, I use dry (exceptions are basically Belgians & Saison, where there's no good dry strain).

Supposedly De Struise Brouwers uses t-58 for Pannepot which is a great Quad, I keep meaning to give it a whirl but haven't so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

When people ask a question about their fermentation then Mr. Smug shows up with his nose in the air "I never check FG until at least 4 weeks in primary."

That's relevant.

I guess mine would be not being able to drink the product the same day I brew it. You gotta wait at least a month?!?!!?

I hate it when a fly lands in my wort. I can scoop him out, but I can't get him to spit the beer back into the kettle.

Acronyms. I have to Google half the posts just to know what you're talking about. SWMBO LHBS MLT. Like reading a teenagers text message. Also dudes with hot women as their avatar. Kinda perverse. I realized this was more a forum than brewing peeve and will add this forum has been very helpful and people are much more relaxed than a typical online forum and don't jump.all.over you for asking a newbie question. For brewing - realizing your ball valve is on backwards when you go to collect first runnings. Maybe that is more worst mistake ever.

Back