What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed for the first time indoors and first time doing 10 gallons. New Brew Easy setup doing an American IPA.

Went well for the first run other than a stuck mash. I have never liked my grain mill and I’m going to blame it. Several times while milling I noticed the gap setting had opened up on one side and I had a lot of unmilled barley in the bucket so ran it through twice and things were pretty powdery. Things got stuck toward the end of the mash and I ended up having to stir the grain bed. I let things circulate until things were flowing clear before draining. Numbers were decent so hopefully all good.

With that issue and learning my way around the new set up my new easier less work system ended up being the longest brew day I’ve had in a while but there’s two fermenters full of beer downstairs

Now trying to decide if I want to figure out why mill won’t stay tight (I cranked on that knob pretty hard) or just get something different. Seems like everything in a reasonable price range has a similar tightening method

I got everything cleaned, weighed out, set up and ready for a porter when my youngest wakes up (she likes to help).
I got to set the delay timer on my anvil foundry, it seems like a neat feature and I suppose we'll see how it goes, along with applying what I learned and figured out on my last (first) go round.

Now trying to decide if I want to figure out why mill won’t stay tight (I cranked on that knob pretty hard) or just get something different. Seems like everything in a reasonable price range has a similar tightening method
I ran into the same thing with my evil twin, the adjustment knob wasn't accurate at all, so I dug out my feeler gauges, took it apart and went to messin' with stuff. The end result was just me settling for "close enough" on the gap measurement and just dialing it in with some grain. I'll eventually "calibrate" the actual gap adjustment knob when I get bored enough to do it. If yours is aluminum, be careful overtightening because you can wreck (strip) the threads in the much softer than steel aluminum and once that happens you have no way of holding the rollers in place .... which would be bad. You may already know this but it doesn't hurt to share anyway.

I got everything cleaned, weighed out, set up and ready for a porter when my youngest wakes up (she likes to help).
I got to set the delay timer on my anvil foundry, it seems like a neat feature and I suppose we'll see how it goes, along with applying what I learned and figured out on my last (first) go round.

I ran into the same thing with my evil twin, the adjustment knob wasn't accurate at all, so I dug out my feeler gauges, took it apart and went to messin' with stuff. The end result was just me settling for "close enough" on the gap measurement and just dialing it in with some grain. I'll eventually "calibrate" the actual gap adjustment knob when I get bored enough to do it. If yours is aluminum, be careful overtightening because you can wreck (strip) the threads in the much softer than steel aluminum and once that happens you have no way of holding the rollers in place .... which would be bad. You may already know this but it doesn't hurt to share anyway.
Yeah I haven’t really used markings in the knobs mainly because the etching is really light (plus I probably need glasses but haven’t admitted that fully yet). I always set with feeler gauges. The gap visibly opened on one side during milling though. I took it all apart and I’m not sure why. Then I tighten the set screw I can’t move the adjustment knob by hand so seems tight. I ended up buying a different mill. The current one was an early purchase without enough research and I never liked it. Between this gap issue and rollers not pulling in grain I’m ready to be done with it.

As far as what I did for beer today (yesterday addition). I learned a valuable lesson. I cleaned out my keezer thoroughly the day before. Sat down to watch my team play in a bowl game with my latest neipa. Warm. When you clean out and defrost your keezer make sure you plug it back in.

IMG_5643.jpeg

my HB Jail Ale

Busy morning, had two kegs kick yesterday, swapped them for freshies this morning and ran the kicks through the Mark II.
Then pulverized 24 ounces of hops and dry hopped four fermentors full of hazies.
Went through my hop inventory and ordered two pounds of 2023 Citra from YVH - and asked for extra fridge stickers 😁
Now thinking about the first two brew days of 2024. I'm thinking another Ballantine IPA and Juicy Bits batches...

Cheers!

Overcame massive lack of motivation and bottled the Adhoc Amber / Leftover Lager that I almost wish I forgot was sitting in my shed lagering. First time using Grolsch swingtops - we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20231231_110640.jpg
    20231231_110640.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231231_110653.jpg
    20231231_110653.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231231_111907.jpg
    20231231_111907.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231231_112540.jpg
    20231231_112540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231231_113338.jpg
    20231231_113338.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I was doing some cleanup in my basement brewery after brewing yesterday and decided I should defrost the freezer drawer on my kegerator. When getting hops out of the freezer I noticed there was a lot of ice built up (it’s 60 years old and not frost free). It had been at least a year since it was last done. It should be a little more efficient now.
60CB20C1-C330-4FF0-9715-1DC4CFDACAB7.jpeg

Went about a month without brewing so needed to do some catching up. Yesterday brewed grampamarks' Alt, today brewed an IPA to clear out some old hops, Simcoe and Azacca.

Also trying to revive some frozen yeast, not sure if it working yet or not so will give it a little extra time before dumping the starter.

Kegged my first 10 gallon batch and carbonating now. First time using my two new conicals (did a previous 5 gallon batch with one).

Overall went well but had an issue with one keg lid not wanting to seal. It has a bit of a dent right around the lid opening so I think I’m taking it out of beer rotation. I had another one available luckily.

Also need to think through clean up process. There’s a lot of parts in two conicals lol

Attachments

• camphoto_1804928587.jpeg
    camphoto_1804928587.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7261.jpeg
    IMG_7261.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Installed a gas ball lock pass-through in my keezer collar. If I need to have CO2 outside the keezer (transferring beer or purging a keg) I no longer need to keep the keezer lid open. Just hook up a jumper from the outside ball lock to the keg and connect a spare gas QD to the inside ball lock. Leak checked everything and it’s holding pressure.

One odd thing—when I built the gas jumper I used Duotight fittings. One of them had a grey body but a very loose fitting black collet. I couldn’t get the EVA line to seat. I pulled apart the DT fitting and found it had a black o-ring and a light colored o-ring. Has anyone else seen this? Wondering if this is a new design.

Was concerned high winds might cause power problems but went ahead and struck anyway. A bit later than planned, which is the norm these days.

No errors so far, but it's early 😄

20240110_100638.jpg

Fly sparge nearly done...

20240110_121659.jpg

So far so slow but no effups...

[edit] If a 1 quart over-sparge is the biggest screw up today I'm golden 👌

On to the whirlpooling!

20240110_144726.jpg

[last edit]

Hop Blocker doing its job, nice bright wort going in the carboys...

20240110_160536.jpg

...and leaving a crapton of hop mush behind.

20240110_161446.jpg

All pitched and gassed up and ready to rock :rock:

Cheers!
20240110_163728.jpg

Last edited:
Got 13.5 inches of snow yesterday so spent my off time mostly cleaning the driveway. Afterwards I did my best to try to kick a keg celebrating a big Iowa State basketball win (that I didn't make it to because of the snow).

Tonight I need to decide if I'm brewing this weekend. It's a three day weekend and I want to get a batch done, but also a busy one and supposed to get more nasty weather between now and then.

Crashed my starter made from frozen yeast. It took a little long to get going but once it did seemed to proceed normally for the second step.

No room in the fridge the frozen yeast so had to purge the jars of old yeast slurry and do some cleaning of the jars.

Kegged or transferred a Czech lager that was fermented inside a keg since back in early dec that had been crashing for about a month. Keeping the fermentor keg cold and thinking about doing a serial ferment right on top of the yeast cake.

Back