What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on my next keezer today. Already cut the boards and coated them with primer and a little color, even though internal collar. Got the internal collar sealed in place today, and getting ready to add the external collar after cleaning it up a little.

Attachments

• 20240112_202316.jpg
    20240112_202316.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 0
There's a silver lining to everything, even this cold af weather. I have four 5-gal buckets of free malt I got from a local brewery, so I took them out to an unheated shed to spend some weevil-killing quality time for several days (it's not expected to get above zero until Wed.).

There's a silver lining to everything, even this cold af weather. I have four 5-gal buckets of free malt I got from a local brewery, so I took them out to an unheated shed to spend some weevil-killing quality time for several days (it's not expected to get above zero until Wed.).
I'm a little jealous. You got free protein AND free grain. I never get free adjuncts...

Kegged my WC DIPA.

From the sample drawn, it's going to be a great beer. I came up a litre of two short on keg volume despite getting a bit over 23 litres into the fermenter, which I think is a combination of transferring a LOT of hop matter from bit-over-8oz of cryo hops that went into the kettle, and the effects of the ~3oz dry hop.

Made a beer, that came out rather short of expected OG. So I boiled it a little longer to get expected gravity, at the expense of volume.
Got to thinking, this was from a "new" 50lb sack of briess 2-row that I'd picked up at a HBS in LaCrosse WI, and maybe it was actually old as the hills or something.

So I ground up a pound for a "test" batch, figured I'd maybe just use it for a yeast starter or something. And then I noticed that my mill had slipped from it's tightest grind to it's loosest grind. 🤬

Two more items to add to the brew-day checklist:
  1. Verify mill is at tightest grind
  2. Confirm that grain is indeed very finely ground.

I sampled a one month old Blackberry Melomel. It is surprisingly good. I made a blackberry puree on Sunday two weeks ago expecting the base mead to be about finished in primary. But no the lil yeasties had a mind of their own and wouldn't let me add the puree until Thursday. When I looked inside the fermenter, that was to be the secondary, to see the puree it was covered with a dry powder looking film. I was afraid it was infected but it smelled ok. So I racked the puree out from under the film onto the now dormant mead in a fresh keg. I figured I was taking a chance but you gotta go with it. It turning out great.
IMG_20240117_143031029.jpg

Made a beer, that came out rather short of expected OG. So I boiled it a little longer to get expected gravity, at the expense of volume.
Got to thinking, this was from a "new" 50lb sack of briess 2-row that I'd picked up at a HBS in LaCrosse WI, and maybe it was actually old as the hills or something.

So I ground up a pound for a "test" batch, figured I'd maybe just use it for a yeast starter or something. And then I noticed that my mill had slipped from it's tightest grind to it's loosest grind. 🤬

Two more items to add to the brew-day checklist:
  1. Verify mill is at tightest grind
  2. Confirm that grain is indeed very finely ground.
Sounds like a good idea to inspect your mill, but you can also use a refractometer to monitor the mash gravity to watch for full conversions instead of just going by time. When I started doing that I got much more consistent results.

I kegged 3bbls of ESB, moved 750# of pilsner malt, washed and marked 41 kegs, prepped for brewing a Flanders red, fixed a glycol chiller, and allsorts of miscellaneous and tedious chores, 13 hours of work today. Sometimes I miss being only a homebrewer. At least I have 12 taps instead of 2...I guess haha

Conducted a semi-organized circus to swap a kicked keg in the keezer, create yet another 1318 starter from my overbuild stash for 10 gallons of neipa to be brewed soon, keg my latest Ballantine IPA revival, clean the carboys after racking, then finally clean the kicked keg. Woof!

ab_06feb2024_1.jpg
ab_06feb2024_3.jpg

ab_06feb2024_2.jpg

ab_06feb2024_4.jpg
ab_06feb2024_5.jpg

ab_06feb2024_6.jpg

Cheers! (And now I'm chillin'! :cool:)

Brewed 2gal of best bitters today I will ferment with Brewlabs F40 yeast. The starter has been sitting for almost a month so expecting a slow start.

Brewed 3gal of American adjunct lager a couple days back. I dumped it on the yeast cake of my last lager I made. The keg has been chilling in the cooler for a while like maybe 6weeks or more. Guessing it was about 4x my normal pitch of yeast but was quite surprised to have it start cranking in a couple hours. Check gravity this morning and it was just about to terminal gravity(start at 1046 so short trip).

Back