What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my finger pretty good on one these once trying to use the fork thing to get the tubing out of a connector. I locked it shut but somehow it opened up while messing with things. Y'all been warned.
1708732650253.png

1708732679872.png

Swapped out a kicked keg of my Ballantine IPA resurrection 2nd batch and plugged in one from my 3rd batch. Ran the kicked keg through the Mark II so I could then sanitize it and add it to the end of the keg purge I'm running off ~11 gallons of fermenting 1.107 OG stout. Should create plenty of gas to handle an extra keg. You can hear the bubbler at the new end of the daisy chain doing its thing...

Checked said stout fermentation. These had just under a gallon of head space, and I've been running the beastly S04 a bit cooler than usual (at 64°F) yet they still managed to puke up a couple of cups of beer each at peak krausen overnight. Took this pic to show why I always use blow-offs to start, and for the person who's been publicly thinking of fermenting a batch of beer in totally filled carboys what even a respectful fill can cause :)

ab_24feb2024_1.jpg

Cheers!

They've used more provocative labels :)
And highly rated on BA. But was the wait it worth it? :oops:
I haven’t had it yet. Took so long to get because I’m in PA and the brewery is in North Carolina. It’s a limited seasonal release thats only out for a short time every year around Valentine’s Day and its not sold within 100 miles of me. From what I’ve read it has almost a cult following and it sells out quicky. I’ve been looking for somebody with a connection down there for a long time. This one friend finally came through. I have to share it with the wife now, of course.

Last edited:
I did a little something different today. I brewed a Dirty Pale Ale yesterday. I payed close attention to which post the blow off tube was connected to after loosing 7 gallons of Stout last week due to connecting the blow off to the dip tube post. Then I decided the blow off tube was too long for the Fermzilla. Grabbed a shorter line and let my helper connect it to the spunding valve for me. All seemed well until this mornings check on fermentation and nothing is happening. I panicked. So I grabbed a fresh packet of US 05 figuring my repitch of 1056 didn't survive last weeks catastrophe. Upon loosening the cap it had CO2 pressure. That's when I looked at the spunding valve and realized it was connected backwards. Removed said spunding valve connected the blow off tube direct and all is well. My 1056 survived after all. I love that yeast. IMO it makes the best ales.

Ran up to one of the Last Standing LHBS's within driving distance to pick up some random stuff, then came home to do even more for beer! :rock:

Started by swapping out a pair of kicked kegs in the keezer - my Juicy Bits clone and an original recipe All Your Citra [Are Belong To Us] (packed to the rafters with Citra) both neipas...

View attachment 842321

Fired up the Mark II and cleaned both kegs...

View attachment 842323

Decided my keezer's drip tray needed some love. After 4 years of use our hard water deposits had added up to "a lot".
Attacked it with a BKF paste, a scrubby and a toothbrush...

View attachment 842319

Not bad but needs more love than I had time for today. I'll hit it again when I get a chance, clean up that west end, and remove the rinser head to really get under it...

View attachment 842320

Cleaned and polished up the tower and faucets and got everything brightened up. It'll do :)

View attachment 842322

Cheers!
Yeah does anyone know why so many LHBS's are biting the dust ? Seems to me more people than ever are into home brewing wether beer, wine , Kombucha ect . 10 years ago there were at least 5 or 6 in my general area, my fave closed after the owner passed away now there is 1 lhbs standing, at least in my area...crying shame.

We've decided the peak of home brewing beer happened around 2011-2012 and since then a large portion of people brewing back then have bailed. Massachusetts had dozens of LHBS when I started almost 20 years ago, now we're down to maybe a half dozen with only a couple of large-ish retailers left.

It is what it is - and that ain't great....

Brewed for the first time in..yeesh, 6 months. Pulled stuff down from the attic Thursday night, went to weigh out my grains which have been sitting vacuum sealed in kibble buckets...and...well...crap. I modified the recipe a bit to accommodate the absence of a couple of hops that I utilized last time and forgot to check the inventory of the grains so...

Went back inside, modified the malt bill a little and we'll see how that goes.

pH meter probe was dry as a bone (oops) and after calibrating it, it was consistently erratic in its readings so...the hell with it. I didn't mess up too much and am currently awaiting the wort to get down to pitching temp. Lower back is a bit stiff, per usual but pretty sure I didn't make any mistakes that won't result in beer happening.

Yeah does anyone know why so many LHBS's are biting the dust ? Seems to me more people than ever are into home brewing wether beer, wine , Kombucha ect . 10 years ago there were at least 5 or 6 in my general area, my fave closed after the owner passed away now there is 1 lhbs standing, at least in my area...crying shame.

What @day_trippr said.

We kicked that around in another thread, and yet another thread talking about declining AHA membership, which is one more indicator that the fad days of homebrewing are behind us.

No doubt, the pandemic drove nails into a few LHBSs as well.

I don't know how membership here at HBT stacks up to what it was a dozen years ago, but whatever it is, we're it. The True Believers in the Brew.

whatever it is, we're it. The True Believers in the Brew.

Right - out with the riff-raff! :rock:

For sure the posts-per-day rate here has plummeted from its peak.
There are sites out there that track traffic that might help with numbers, though they may want $$ to look back more than months...

Cheers!

We've decided the peak of home brewing beer happened around 2011-2012 and since then a large portion of people brewing back then have bailed. Massachusetts had dozens of LHBS when I started almost 20 years ago, now we're down to maybe a half dozen with only a couple of large-ish retailers left.

It is what it is - and that ain't great....
Jesus I hope this doesn't mean that soon Ama Zon Almighty will corner the home brewing market ! Unless of course they keep prices reasonable 😉

Started the two day post-soft-crash dry hopping on my latest Fantastic Haze neipa clone, using my "pulverized pellet" method to prolong contact so I can avoid agitating the crashed yeast resting on the bottom. This picture was taken three hours after depositing the hop powder and it's still very slowly dropping into the 50°F beer.

hop_powdered.jpg

Experience has shown had I simply dropped raw pellets in they would have gone straight to the bottom in mere minutes and depending on density could sit there largely intact. So there's an incremental increase in O2 exposure in trade for a massive increase in hop character gained...

Cheers!

Sampled some endeavour hops for a brew day in a couple days, on the nose it felt slightly herbal, fruity, mango an mandarin mainly but then I made a hop tea for 15 minutes and it tasted like chewing grass

So maybe it's not worth adding them, at least not at the 15 minutes mark, maybe at whirlpool it can work, I need to test it
Sorry for bringing this up after two years, but I tried my first homebrewed beer this week, which had endeavour hops, and it was absolutely lovely.
It was a SMASH pale ale, with the following recipe:
1kg of CRISP clear choice pale malt
6l of water for mashing at 63ºC for 60 min. Brew in a bag.
14g of endeavour 60 min
7g of endeavour 15 min
7g of endeavour whirlpool addition
Post-boil volume of 3.5l (yeah still figuring out the volume math thing)
IBU of 127? I've read somewhere that it doesn't go much higher than 100, but dunno. Big IBU by accident
2.5g of S-04 for yeast. 11 days before priming and bottling at 2.5 vol of CO2.
The result was very tasty. Bitterness is strong, but it's actually not oppressing? I didn't feel like it was unpleasant at all. My brother, which doesn't like very bitter beers, tried it and liked it. The hop taste and aroma reminds me of orange zest. I consider it a success despite all the newbie errors commited! If anything it is indeed a tasty beer.

I cleaned the 35-foot-long milled grain delivery line by blowing aluminum balls through the line a few times.
The red ball is the last ball through the system, if missing, it indicates some balls are stuck.

Attachments

• 20240305_084841 -.jpg
    20240305_084841 -.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Cleaning Balls Done.mp4
    26.3 MB
Kegged my latest neipa - this one the 4th batch of Fantastic Haze clone. Put a couple gallons of cold water with a tablespoon of OxyFree in each carboy, stuck bungs in them, and stood them up-side-down for an hour or two to soak off their krausen rings.

ab_05mar2024_1.jpg
ab_05mar2024_2.jpg

Had intended to rack my chocolate stout into them today on top of rum-soaked cocoa nibs and vanilla beans, but the stout FG is still dropping so that got put off, likely for a month...

Cheers!

I learned something new today. After brewing yesterday, it started raining before I finished cleaning my electric boil kettle. So I rinsed it out and ran about a gallon of water in it. Later I had about 4 gallons of Star San solution that was used and I decided it was time to replace it. So I poured the used solution into my BK and left outside over night. To my surprise when I went to clean it this morning, I noticed the cooked on residue on the heating element was flaking loose. I rubbed it a little and discovered the residue was coming right off. I removed the element took it to the kitchen sink and it cleaned up nicely with very little effort using a kitchen sponge. I had tried several times to wash that thing clean with only minimal results. Even PBW failed to do what the Star San solution did. I will remember this experience. It looks like new.
IMG_20240306_095021030.jpg

After many life obstacles, I'm brewing today. It's the doppelbock I brewed in November but with a couple of tweaks. I'm down to a couple pints left of my November batch so it makes sense to brew it again so it can age a little. I'll brew a wheat next and that'll be on tap sooner and about ready for Wisconsin spring. For the Midwest folks it seems like spring now but I expect a winter dump yet.

Back