What hop varieties to grow at my new house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
I moved into my new house near Ypsilanti, in SE Michigan, back in May and did not have enough time to put in a garden or start growing much of anything except some potted herbs and flowers. Now I plan on growing some hops here in the spring. I'll have a nice structure with posts about 18 ft. high and wire between them stretching just under 20 ft. I figure I can grow maybe 8 plants in the space.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to plant that may grow well here? A friend has Chinook and Centennial that grow well at his house. My father, who lives 4 hours North grows Columbus and Nugget, but only the Nugget do well. I think Chinook, Centennial, and Nugget would be good starts, but that leaves 5 spots open. I need. some suggestions. By the way I like to brew and drink mostly IPA, American Pale Ale, Robust Porter, Stout, and occasionally an Amber Ale or American Brown Ale.

I'm down around Toledo and Nugget likes the environment. My top producer is always my Zeus, she ain't much to look at (least foliage) but every year it's my top producer.
My Hallertau and Mt Hood are pretty poor producers and I only keep them because I haven't had time and incentive to replace them.
Make sure you leave enough room between varieties, they will spread more than you realize and you'll end up with intermingled bines. I would at least recommend keeping the low AA at one end and the high at the other to minimize surprises.

Thanks for the tips. I do know someone that grows Zeus too. Used it to make my favorite IPA too. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Hmm. How about Cascade and brewers gold? Planting multiples close together but leave space between the different types. At least five feet. Or make a 1 1/2 foot deep root blocker barrier.

I grew 5 cascade plants this year near the Lansing area with good results for being in containers.

I'm much further north than you, of course, but hallertauer does very well for me. Chinook, cascade and centennial varieties grow like weeds.

I can not grow willamette, although I've tried three times. I have friends in Chicago who have willamette growing very well, so it might do fine for you.

Goldings grow pretty well as well, and northern brewer do ok but are slow to start for me.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I think I will be able to grow some good hops to grow some America style beers with. I would like to try my hand at growing maybe an English style hop, or something for lagers, just something to offer a nice change of pace once in a while and keep things interesting. Two of my friends near here have tried to grow Willamette for years, with no results. Some European or European style hops I have used and enjoyed are EKG, Czech Saaz, and one of my best beers of all time was used all Mt. Hood for flavor, aroma, and dry hopping. Anyone have any more specific advice on some European or European-like varieties that may grow well in my region? Thanks again for the help.

Back