What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, you scallop-searing peeps - let me in on your secret! I defrosted some BIG scallops, pressed them dry with a paper towel, seasoned and panseared - I thought - only they just released a bunch more liquid and refused to brown up nicely. They were still tasty but I want that seared thang to happen! Pan was quite hot, butter only. Obviously I'm missing something here!

Yeah, they don't make it out here to California. I would trade a Mexican box for a mushroom box if you are interested.

I’ll see what I can do, there’s a local farm that’s had some beautiful mushrooms on instagram. Any other types you’d be interested in?

OK, you scallop-searing peeps - let me in on your secret! I defrosted some BIG scallops, pressed them dry with a paper towel, seasoned and panseared - I thought - only they just released a bunch more liquid and refused to brown up nicely. They were still tasty but I want that seared thang to happen! Pan was quite hot, butter only. Obviously I'm missing something here!

I make sure they’re dry scallops..
Lots of information on scallops on this page
https://www.splendidtable.org/story/why-you-should-cook-with-dry-scallops
They release much less liquid. The other thing I do is Let them get a really good sear on one side before flipping. Once I flip them I either turn off heat or let them cook for another minute depending on size.

As was mentioned the secret is “dry” scallops. There’s nothing you can do to a wet scallop to get it more than slightly browned.

If the bag doesn’t say dry, put it back!

I would love to find dry scallops but I have never seen them offered up in any market I've been in. Anyone have some hints about where to find these little elusive critters?

I’d say usually a fish market or somewhere like Whole Foods is a safe bet

I would love to find dry scallops but I have never seen them offered up in any market I've been in. Anyone have some hints about where to find these little elusive critters?
They normally don't post whether they're wet or dry. It can't hurt to ask. I've actually had some new hires say they didn't know. However, wet scallops look more visibly appealing to me. They're like pearl white and there's a good visual in this video. The dry are a slight coral color and taste better.

The key is to having a hot pan. Sometimes I even use a cast iron pan when the sear is for a special occasion.

This is a good vid especially if you're using induction and need to find the hottest spot of the pan or ring of fire. I don't usually baste mine in butter tho. Key is dry and ripping hot pan...and practice. Hey you can never eat too many scallops

I am somehow fortunate enough that one of our local mid grade grocery store’s fish counter consistently sells dry scallops in several sizes. The really big ones are like $30/lb, but for about half that you can get 12-15s.

It’s easy to identify wet scallops. They are pearly white and often sit in a bath of milky white liquid. Dry are flesh/peach colored and don’t sit in liquid. Any sign of liquid pooling and it’s a not dry scallops.

If frozen, it’ll say dry on the bag. If it doesn’t say dry, assume it’s wet.

Yeah, that two pounds I bought were still partially frozen, and so I wrapped them really well in three plastic grocery bags and left them in the fridge to defrost. When I opened them boy was I glad I had them in three bags - they had a POOL of milky liquid! Pizzes me off that I paid $9.99/lb for about half a pound of liquid that got poured off!

I'll ask and let my eyes tell me next time. Thanks you all!

Shrimp and grits.

Wild caught gulf shrimp, heavily Cajun seasoned, on creamy cheesy polenta, sauced with butter. With a side of sautéd rabbit food.

57568241930__D01BF7A2-6ACD-4671-9353-BDD433328625.jpg

Used a lot of Kerry gold. Chest is feeling a little tight at the moment.

Oh! That’s mouth watering.... yum!
I'm a sucker for bright and colorful food. I know it doesn't actually make it taste better, but I still think it does.
Red&yellow bell pepper, green lime&avocado, red onion, Bulgarian feta (not authentic but don't care), salsa verde (not very good, but store-bought for convenience).

I'm a sucker for bright and colorful food. I know it doesn't actually make it taste better, but I still think it does.
Red&yellow bell pepper, green lime&avocado, red onion, Bulgarian feta (not authentic but don't care), salsa verde (not very good, but store-bought for convenience).

It looks awesome! Good job!

I only buy dry, day boat scallops. So they are never frozen! When you freeze a scallop you damage the cell walls and the absorb a ton of water. So even though they might appear dry on the surface, the minute they hit a hot pan they start leaking out water, destroying any chance for a great sear.

I cook my scallops in a stainless steel pan, with butter. I do a hard sear on one side for almost the entire cook time. If you try to get a really good sear on the other side too, the scallop would get way over cooked.

Cheers,
Mike

I only buy dry, day boat scallops. So they are never frozen! When you freeze a scallop you damage the cell walls and the absorb a ton of water. So even though they might appear dry on the surface, the minute they hit a hot pan they start leaking out water, destroying any chance for a great sear.

I cook my scallops in a stainless steel pan, with butter. I do a hard sear on one side for almost the entire cook time. If you try to get a really good sear on the other side too, the scallop would get way over cooked.

Cheers,
Mike

I wish!! Plunked down here in the middle of AZ it's hard to find ANY kind of fresh seafood let alone the quality stuff like that!

Somebody here should open a butcher shop/fish market - I'd surely go there!

Back