What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO and I made about two dozen pierogi with a potato and sharp cheddar filling. After a five minute boil, we sauteed a few in caramelized onions. Kind of an annual thing for us given the time it takes to make them.
View attachment 618005
View attachment 618006
Looks delicious. We've never made them, mostly because we didn't have to. Growing up in upstate NY in a largely Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian, (as well as Italian) influenced area we regularly had the women at local churches pumping out handmade pierogis on a semi regular basis.

SWMBO and I made about two dozen pierogi with a potato and sharp cheddar filling. After a five minute boil, we sauteed a few in caramelized onions. Kind of an annual thing for us given the time it takes to make them.

Care to share your dough recipe? The last time I tried pierogis the dough didn't turn out right. Really want to get it down.

IMG_8892.JPG

Chicken n dumplings

Pastrami. I brined 2 large briskets in pickling spices for a couple of weeks. 1.5 of them made it into the crockpot for tonights dinner. This, below, is the other 1/2 brisket. After brining, I soaked for a day in fresh water to remove some of the salt, thencoated with pepper/coriander, then smoked while playing a round of golf. Came home and sliced up - yummers!!!

The other 1.5 briskets are in the crockpots for tonight's corned beef / cabbage / colcannnon.

upload_2019-3-17_18-16-39.png

Care to share your dough recipe? The last time I tried pierogis the dough didn't turn out right. Really want to get it down.

Our dough recipe:

2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 cup of sour cream
1 large egg and 1 egg yolk

Whisk the dry ingredients then add the sour cream, egg, and yolk. I used a wooden spoon to get everything incorporated and then SWMBO kneads it by hand. You really have to work this by hand unless you have a dough hook on a mixer. Should be a smooth and elastic. Then roll it out. Hope this helps.

Freezes great. Do you have a foodsaver? I add a little sauce before I bag it. I'd suggest about a cup or two max per bag, label, toss in freezer.

Yep done. 5lbs stored unshredded with juice, fat, and extra seasoning in the bag. Should reheat nicely in Sous Vide.

I have another couple pounds shredded and vac sealed.

Thanks for the tip using the stand mixer to shred. That took care of a whole shoulder in no time.

I grew up in upstate NY by Lake Ontario, I know what spiedies are. Haven't had them in a long time but I do remember liking them.

I'm originally from Broome County in upstate NY, home of the spiedie. Our son went to SUNY Oswego.

Cortland here, but my Dad still lives in Groton (family in Homer as well). I split time between there and WV (Mom) ... so we grew up on spiedes and salt potatoes (a mystery and controversial topic of discussion for non salt potato folks) as well as whatever we grew on the farm. I had them ship a few bags of salt potatoes, let them sprout, and I've been growing them out here for about four years now.

Cortland here, but my Dad still lives in Groton (family in Homer as well). I split time between there and WV (Mom) ... so we grew up on spiedes and salt potatoes (a mystery and controversial topic of discussion for non salt potato folks) as well as whatever we grew on the farm. I had them ship a few bags of salt potatoes, let them sprout, and I've been growing them out here for about four years now.
Yeah I remember you mentioning the Groton connection a while back.

Love salt potatoes too.

Made garganelli bolognese with a soffritto base. I learned that the soffritto takes a significant amount of time (~5 hr.) to cook properly. Then you add the browned veal and pork (and a few other items) to complete the bolognese gravy.

Soffritto in the beginning
IMG_1664.jpeg

Soffrito after 5 hours:
IMG_1665.jpeg

The finished gravy over garganelli
IMG_1690.jpeg

Absolutely one of my favorite dishes. Doesn't look like much but there's a lot of flavor in the gravy.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Made garganelli bolognese with a soffritto base. I learned that the soffritto takes a significant amount of time (~5 hr.) to cook properly. Then you add the browned veal and pork (and a few other items) to complete the bolognese gravy.

View attachment 618175
Soffrito after 5 hours:
View attachment 618176
View attachment 618181

Absolutely one of my favorite dishes. Doesn't look like much but there's a lot of flavor in the gravy.
Gorgeous!!

View attachment 618175
Soffrito after 5 hours:
View attachment 618176
View attachment 618181

Just Fantastic! This one needs a second "like", but alas only one is allowed. Very well done!

Except for a soup or two, most Korean style beef ive had wasn't spicy. Mostly semi sweet, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper and onion would be the dominant flavors...in other words bulgogi or galbi.

Except for a soup or two, most Korean style beef ive had wasn't spicy. Mostly semi sweet, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper and onion would be the dominant flavors...in other words bulgogi or galbi.
Yeah, it's pretty much like Bulgogi.

I got the missing ingredients delivered yesterday to make Yukgaejang! That falls into your exceptions for soups :) and is one of my favorite soups I had in Korea.

Also delivered was Gochugaru which I used in the salad shown below. I cooked the beef the night before last, then cooked the rice and made the salad to go with it last night and it was just awesome together.

Here is the salad and the beef and rice. I will post the salad recipe in a bit because it was fantastic and went so well with the beer (that was a typo that I decided to leave in, should have been beef). The salad was spicy. I cut down the hot pepper flakes from "2 tablespoons or hot pepper flakes" to 1 tablespoon of the Gochugaru and it was plenty hot.

Attachments

• Korean Salad March 2019.jpg
    Korean Salad March 2019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Korean Beef and Rice March 2019.jpg
    Korean Beef and Rice March 2019.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
I really can't stand the PC forum engine when it comes to adding pictures. It's so much easier on the phone ap.

The salad recipe is available is from https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sangchu-geotjeori.

I used red leaf lettuce and like I said, only one tablespoon of Gochugaru in place of the 2 tablespoons of hot pepper flakes. Fantastic salad IMO and perfect with the beef.

Yukgaejang ROCKS!!! and that was the main spicy beef dish i was referring too. There is a dumpling soup (mandoo guk) too but its more often served mild. Kimchi fried rice sometimes has beef. I like it better with pork but......

I have several kinds of gochugaru including home grown. Normally i get Assi brand for kimchi and stew. Ive also got one from Korea that is WAY hotter. Its also way more expensive. About $18/lb vs $8/kg for the Assi. I use gochujang sometimes as an addition like for sweet and spicy stuff. I also use it to braise the pork at the beginning of making kimchi stew.

Pork braised in gochujang and kimchi is just killer.
nNthd7E.jpg

94HCsLx.jpg

Last edited:
I really can't stand the PC forum engine when it comes to adding pictures. It's so much easier on the phone ap.

The salad recipe is available is from https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sangchu-geotjeori.

I used red leaf lettuce and like I said, only one tablespoon of Gochugaru in place of the 2 tablespoons of hot pepper flakes. Fantastic salad IMO and perfect with the beef.

rt-click, copy image, rt-click, paste. I just took this image from the site you linked to. Two clicks and it's here. Seems pretty easy to me. How are you doing it?

geotjeori-closeup-590x460.jpg

Evilgrin, we frequented a Japanese restaurant that was owned by a Korean man, Sony. He taught us this Korean dish which he called Buta Kimchi - looks pretty much like your pork dish - is that what it's called?

I make it a few times a year. We love it.

Evilgrin, we frequented a Japanese restaurant that was owned by a Korean man, Sony. He taught us this Korean dish which he called Buta Kimchi - looks pretty much like your pork dish - is that what it's called?

I make it a few times a year. We love it.

Well the closest dish would be Jeook (jeyuk) kimchi bokkeum or Dubu Kimchi if served with blanched tofu. Not a fan of that unless its with fried firm tofu

Dwaejigogi bokkeum if you leave out the kimchi and have it on the side.
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejigogi-bokkeum

Last edited:
The restaurant near me that i like wants over $17 for a plate of Dubu Kimchi and they wont make it with fried firm tofu. Its really irks me because they will make Dolsot kimchi pork bowls for about $13. The jeyuk bokkeum is about $16 and the kimchi is free as a banchan.

How hard can it be to toss some stinking kimchi into my pork stirfry!!!!! In all honesty though, pork (dwaeji) bulgogi with fresh kimchi on the side is still pretty damn good too. Plus you get the benefit of the live lacto bacteria in the kimchi.

I still recommend this place to anyone on the STL area. Overall the food has been great and the mountain of endless free bachans you get is amazing.
https://www.asiankitchenmo.com/#/

Back