What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paired the grilled game hens with Brussels sprouts and honey mustard & SN Pale Ale potato salad.

IMG_20190310_193702_644.jpg

I never liked brussel sprouts growing up. Turns out, nobody could cook them worth a poop! Made right, they are pretty delicious.

Looks like you cut yours in 1/2, oven baked baked or fried in a little oil. Tossed with salt/pepper and topped with grated parmesan. I'd eat that.

Looks like you cut yours in 1/2, oven baked baked or fried in a little oil. Tossed with salt/pepper and topped with grated parmesan. I'd eat that.

Too many people over cook them into mush...

I also tossed them in a bit of lemon juice and balsamic...

I'm making a habanero cooking wine right now. It...is...hot! (14%, ph: 3.6) Anyone have a chicken marinade recipe that could use this? Any other recipes jump into anyone's mind?

I'm making a habanero cooking wine right now. It...is...hot! (14%, ph: 3.6) Anyone have a chicken marinade recipe that could use this? Any other recipes jump into anyone's mind?
Cooking wine would work with sauces. Pasta and seafood maybe...

View attachment 617047
Nope, I did not cook it but it’s the best Mexican food I have ever had! Been going to Manuel’s in Aptos, Ca for 40+ years and the same great taste never changes! [emoji482]
If you ever find yourself in San Rafael around breakfast time make it a point to eat at Theresa and Johnny’s. Really good. Their stuffed potato pancakes are killer. Only problem is they’re not always on the menu.

“Cumulus clouds formed heavily in the south, like huge wool packs heaped up in picturesque disorder. Under the influence of the breezes they grew darker, forming a single menacing mass. The raft lay motionless in the sluggish waveless sea. And in silence” I waited for the storm. And cooked potato soup! Lol. It’s going to storm here shortly.
IMG_1907.JPG

“Cumulus clouds formed heavily in the south, like huge wool packs heaped up in picturesque disorder. Under the influence of the breezes they grew darker, forming a single menacing mass. The raft lay motionless in the sluggish waveless sea. And in silence” I waited for the storm. And cooked potato soup! Lol. It’s going to storm here shortly.
View attachment 617209
I have a ham bone waiting for me. Must be part of that storm set to hit me in ND. A good spring blizzard 10-16" of snow along with 50mph winds. Midwest hurricane.

Soup served. With a few drops of Exhorresco because Evil got me hooked on this stuff.

He also, by the way, got me really hooked on Bliss Blast, inadvertently. He compared Exhorresco to “Bliss Blast on steroids” so I had to look it up. Found out the Bliss guys were swapping barrels wit Founder’s and the rest is history. Bliss Blast is now #1 on my list of every day hot sauces. Absolutely amazing!

And for those of you that have not tried the Exhorresco 7Pot Primo sauce, that tiny bit on top of the sour cream above, is enough to make the whole bowl hot, really hot, but OMG what an awesome flavor!

Soup served. With a few drops of Exhorresco because Evil got me hooked on this stuff.

He also, by the way, got me really hooked on Bliss Blast, inadvertently. He compared Exhorresco to “Bliss Blast on steroids” so I had to look it up. Found out the Bliss guys were swapping barrels wit Founder’s and the rest is history. Bliss Blast is now #1 on my list of every day hot sauces. Absolutely amazing!

And for those of you that have not tried the Exhorresco 7Pot Primo sauce, that tiny bit on top of the sour cream above, is enough to make the whole bowl hot, really hot, but OMG what an awesome flavor!

Yeah that stuff is brutal but still has great flavor too. The other day i made "Reuben dogs" with 4 little drops on each one. I ended up with cramps for 24hr+. Tropical Pepper Company Scorpion is about the same but wont come close in flavor and its salty.

BliS Blast is like ketchup by comparison but again it has great flavor. By far the best tasting super mild sauce ive tried. Pexpeppers Taco Fuego was the best but no longer made and the flavor profile is totally different....BliS is killer on french fries.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for hooking me up on the 7 pot primo! I love it. It is pretty hot.

You got some of the Burns and McCoy too? Other really good brands are Pexpeppers and High Rivers. All Pex and High Rivers Rogue are super low sodium. Exhorresco though aint bad on sodium and its hotter.

Something i love to do with sauces like this are put a few drops on top of a sweet BBQ pork steak with fresh chopped onion. You get the heat but faster cool down from the sweet mild BBQ sauce. Creamy slaw on the side will help a ton too.

This was with a mostly Caribbean red hab based sauce that was maybe half as hot. Still REALLY hot for a hab based sauce though. This much Burns & McCoy would send me into orbit.
RQQlp5u.jpg

Last edited:
You got some of the Burns and McCoy too? Other really good brands are Pexpeppers and High Rivers. All Pex and High Rivers Rogue are super low sodium. Exhorresco though aint bad on sodium and its hotter.

Something i love to do with sauces like this are put a few drops on top of a sweet BBQ pork steak with fresh chopped onion. You get the heat but faster cool down from the sweet mild BBQ sauce. Creamy slaw on the side will help a ton too.

This was with a mostly Caribbean red hab based sauce that was maybe half as hot. Still REALLY hot for a hab based sauce though. This much Burns & McCoy would send me into orbit.
RQQlp5u.jpg
I also picked up Burns and McCoy's Exitium Pineapple Ginger hot sauce which is amazing and should be awesome on pork! And their Especia Roja hot sauce which is nowhere near as hot as Exhoressco or Exitium but is amazing in it's own way. These guys have a knack for blending ingredients that just results in amazing flavors.

Yeah, the black garlic and yuzu were a really nice touch for Exhorresco. I never tried black garlic before but i have had yuzu. Normally i tend to avoid sauce this hot but the flavor manages to come through and its exceptional.

The Tropical Pepper Co. Scorpion is just really hot and a bit too salty. Had to try it for $6. Should be great for kicking up the heat of a homemade bonnet sauce. Im going to try a pineapple pork experiment. Some pineapple juice concentrate, rice wine, soy sauce, ginger and a little scorpion sauce. Get it to just a little heat and use the Exhorresco as needed for serving.

Got a double-batch of overnight slow-cooker chicken stock working about an hour ago.

Saved the carcasses from our last 2 roasted chicken dinners, (stowed in the freezer), which are now mingling in the slow-cooker with some chopped carrot, onion, garlic, salt, and a few bay leaves, topped with ~2.5 quarts of water.

Kitchen oughta be smelling good tomorrow morning.

No pictures yet but will try to remember to get some later after plating - have had the sous vide running at 134* since Friday at 4 pm for three corned beef briskets. The largest of the three has been in there the whole time; the other two were in there for 10-12 hours, at which point they were pulled and chilled off; this afternoon I'll make my pastrami rub spices and rub those puppies down all over, then chill again til tomorrow or the next day, when they'll hit the smoker roaster oven for 3-4 hours. Then chill again and slice up for some luscious pastrami!

Tonight I'll take that big brisket out at 4 pm so it will have seen 48 hours under sous vide. Sliced and served up with braised red cabbage, boiled turnips and pearl onions, homemade mustard. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Going to try this instead of corned beef and cabbage today.

My brother made this last year and began drooling as he described it to me... Must be ok.

That recipe looks solid. Maybe add the carrots later so they are not mush. Tinker with additional spices like bay leaf and a tiny bit of pepper powder.

I love corned beef but im not a corned beef and cabbage fan. Its not the combination i just hate cabbage cooked too much. I like it cooked but crunchy.

Back