What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to cut carbs and lose some winter weight. Got creative with BLT pizza on cauliflower pizza “dough”.

IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_1517029065.152486.jpg

The heritage pork chops were awesome. First off, I didn’t do anything special to them - just salted them and threw them on the grill, no brining, no herbs/spices, just salt and smoke from some apple wood I threw on the coals.

I cooked them rare and the texture was something else. The texture was like really good tender steak, totally different from the chops I usually get. Nice and fatty, with great flavor.

I had leftover chopped onions with minced jalapenos, and half dozen eggs almost out of date.

So it's egg salad sammiches, on lightly toasted white bread with onion and jalapeno. With a few pickles, of course....

Dark Rauchbier goes well with this!!!

20180127_124719.jpg

Last edited:
Cauliflower pizza crust and cheese/bacon pizza crust recipes, please. Pretty please. I know a guy who makes pizza.

from my favorite low carb board, Low Carb Friends - NancyElle's pizza crust!

Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust
Heat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl thoroughly combine
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)

It will completely lift off your cookie sheet. I patted the grease off of it, but that step is optional - add toppings of your choice.

This slices up beautifully and the crust is crispy and thin

Yes, you can hold it in your hand!

Temptd2's tweaks - I use a 16 inch pizza pan, and I line it with nonstick aluminum foil. I use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend of shredded cheese in the 12 ounce package, it's exactly 3 cups. Pat the dough out evenly; bake 8 minutes, then remove from oven and carefully flip it over using two spatulas.

While you top the crust with whatever you like, crank the oven up to 500*. Put the topped pizza back in and bake til bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes (if you can stand it!) before eating.

Really good cold the next day too, if there is anything left over.
e_1207160369.jpg

Whole USDA Prime brisket here is just under $4/lb. Flat cut will set you back a pretty penny though. Costco has the Sy Ginsberg flat cut corned beef for $4.49/lb and its excellent corned beef.

I always forget how versatile the pressure cooker is.

Last night I made some darn tasty and melt-in-your-mouth tender ropa vieja in the pressure cooker. Whole thing took less than an hour, and would ordinarily take 4-5 hours in a Dutch oven or crockpot.

Last night I pounded some chicken breast and dredged in flour, then egg wash (eggs and a bit of cream) and then breadcrumbs. Fried them in a pan with some oil, then broiled for a few minutes in the oven with mozzarella cheese before topping with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese. Served that next a bed of angel hair pasta and sauce.

Maybe one of the best Italian inspired meals I've made.

@paulthenurse
We followed this recipe first http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2651381

It was very good but a pain to make.
We made another version last night (& more BLT pizza!! Couldn’t let the bag of chopped iceberg go to waste!)
Much easier

1 10oz bag of riced cauliflower from freezer section
Cooked in micro and drained on a fine strainer.
1 cup of mozzarella
1/2 cup of shredded parmigiana (from bag)
2 eggs
Salt & pepper (add Italian seasonings if not blt pizza)
Mix well then form into a circle on parchment lined pizza pan
Bake at 425 F 20-25 minutes
Flip it (we removed the pizza with paper from pan put fresh parchment on pan and set upside on pizza to flip. It worked very well)
Bake for 2-5 minutes. (Depends on how long you want the pizza toppings to cook)
There you have a cauliflower “pizza dough”

We did 5 minutes (with the pizza pan on a stone the entire time)
IMG_1517441566.996031.jpg

For the BLT pizza I added a very little bit of sauce and mozzarella baked for 5 min
Added 1.25 lbs of baked bacon ( oh yeah! )
5 more minutes in oven
Add mayo, shredded lettuce and fine diced tomatoes
IMG_1517441989.781328.jpg
IMG_1517442008.384357.jpg

Had a eureka! moment yesterday. I grilled shrimp as I do a lot and decided to make stock with the shells. While I waited for the grill to heat up, I sautéed maybe 1/4 cup of diced onion in maybe a tbsp of butter in a sauce pan, then added shells from 1 lb of 16-20 ct. shrimp, a couple cloves of smashed garlic, and a good shake of oregano, dill, parsley and thyme, and a good lug of salt. Added water to cover it all, brought to a boil, covered and let it simmer while I cooked and while we ate.

When it was done (maybe an hour) it was so incredibly richly flavorful. I was amazed. Yielded about two, two and a half cups. I’ll poach some white fish in it tomorrow. Maybe try my hand at veloute sauce.

Last edited:
Had a eureka! moment yesterday. I grilled shrimp as I do a lot and decided to make stock with the shells. While I waited for the grill to heat up, I sautéed maybe 1/4 cup of diced onion in maybe a tbsp of butter in a sauce pan, then added shells from 1 lb of 16-20 ct. shrimp, a couple cloves of smashed garlic, and a good shake of oregano, dill, parsley and thyme, and a good lug of salt. Added water to cover it all, brought to a boil, covered and let it simmer while I cooked and while we ate.

When it was done (maybe an hour) it was so incredibly richly flavorful. I was amazed. Yielded about two, two and a half cups. I’ll poach some white fish in it tomorrow. Maybe try my hand at veloute sauce.

Shrimp shells and the resulting stock are waaaaaay under rated IMHO.

I save the shells and freeze them until i get a bunch, then make stock. Shrimp stock is one of the secret ingredients in my seafood risotto. Amazing stuff.

Seafood risotto ... holy crap. THAT’S what should accompany poached fish and spiralized zucchini!

As a public service announcement...

I also save shrimp shells in ziplock bags in the freezer, I wait until I have five or six bags saved up before making stock with them, I just keep them all together in a gallon ziplock.

(Here is the PSA part...)

Clearly label the outside of the big bag with DO NOT THROW AWAY!!! SHRIMP SHELLS!!!

So poaching liquid, seafood risotto, chowder/bisque - anyone have other good ways to use this stuff?

I seem to recall America's Test Kitchen doing a shrimp fra diavlo or scampi. They de-shelled the shrimp and pan fried the shells for like 5 minutes to make a stock to start off the recipe. They then proceeded on and said the stock added the stronger seafood taste than the bland taste of boiled shrimp. I like that idea. No need to store and everything is used and thrown out.

EDIT: Here's a copied version of the recipe

https://chalkboredkitchen.com/2015/07/27/shrimp-fra-diavolo-via-americas-test-kitchen/

So poaching liquid, seafood risotto, chowder/bisque - anyone have other good ways to use this stuff?

I usually sneak in some shrimp stock into any seafood risotto I do. But, not 100% shrimp stock, maybe 75% good chicken stock 25% shrimp stock.

5BA2C3E0-6C02-4C1F-B77D-EEA530C91299_zpsstavseox.jpg

Last edited:
Post script: white fish perfectly poached in rich flavorful shrimp shell stock still NEEDS a sauce. Will work on that.

Many years ago I discovered vegetable broth makes much better and cleaner tasting risotto than chicken.

My broth ratio for seafood risotto is about 2/3 vegetable broth, 1/4 chicken broth and the rest shrimp stock. Shrimp stock is potent stuff and a few ounces is enough to amp up any seafood dish.

I was inspired the other day when I was using the bathroom at work. Saw this recipe auto play when I was scrolling through Facebook.

53939745507__28B1880A-989C-47F2-BAB8-F97704E1364F.JPG

53939779537__606CE3A0-97CD-4364-900D-6292D31D777C.JPG

Bone in prime grade rib eye generously seasoned with S+P, then rubbed down with an herb compound butter. 350F for 50 minutes until it reached 120F. Best prime rib I’ve ever made. Compound butter idea was a winner.

It is indeed; if you like Xiao long bao, Din Tai Fung restaurant there serves some amazing ones. They even have a branch in Taipei 101 building, I think.

Highly recommend it :mug:

Finally made back to Taipei and next door to Taipei 101. Remembered this post, so googled to find it again. Went to Din Tai Fung with a buddy last Wednesday and it was awesome!! The Xiao Long Bao was amazing. We also did hot and sour soup and these little shrimp and pork dumplings. OMG what a menu. I could eat there for weeks! Thanks for the tip :)

Xiao Long Bao.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg

Whoops, 1 extra copy of the second image. Love how posting pictures and media from a PC is not less intuitive and understandable that it was before. Here's to counter progress :mug:

Back