What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg
Steak night. Fresh from the oven sourdough, too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 71
Put some risotto in the pressure cooker last night along with some basmati rice (Just trying to use up both...)

After the first round was cooked and the rice was expanded I added two turkey tenderloins on top and sprinkled them with some Belgian White Spices, then cooked it under the "poultry" setting.

OMG, the turkey was amazing! (Rice was pretty good too). Tender and flavorful. My wife said she doesn't want regular roaster turkey ever again!

Many years ago during my University of Wisconsin days,friends and I were sitting out on the Union Terrace on the lake and lake flies were swarming and we kept getting flies in our beers. One friend disappeared for a while and came back with Sip N’ Steins for all of us. They’re covered insulated mugs with Bucky Badger on it.

I use that thing still in the summer when I’m washing the cars and don’t want my beer to get warm or bug infested. Guess what? I just discovered that I can use it to keep my beer from freezing while grilling in the winter!

So I’m planning on doing my grilled ratatouille tonight with surf and turf. Local butcher had a special on prime NY Strips so I’ll grill that with some shrimp, I’ll make stock with the shells (and the shells I have I the freezer) and make seafood risotto tomorrow and serve it with the leftover ratatouille.

I made shrimp shell stock risotto and it was a hit! I had about 8 16-20 count shrimp leftover, so I warmed them up in butter and coarsely chopped them,then I put a scoop of risotto on the plates, put the shrimp on top of that, and another scoop of risotto on top of the shrimp. Leftover ratatouille next to that, and we have a very satisfying, tasty and light/healthy 20 minute weeknight dinner.

IMG_20180217_204402.jpg

Toad in the hole :D First time tried, mega easy to make, but still managed to do the one mistake there is to do, which was I kept it in the oven a little too long cause I was in the shower room washing beer bottling equipment and lost the track of time. Not exactly culinary genius but still a good supper. Needs the gravy though.

View attachment 558481
Toad in the hole :D First time tried, mega easy to make, but still managed to do the one mistake there is to do, which was I kept it in the oven a little too long cause I was in the shower room washing beer bottling equipment and lost the track of time. Not exactly culinary genius but still a good supper. Needs the gravy though.

Had to google it. Looks good and sounds great!

Reduced by about half. Close to being done, but will be even thicker shortly. I love this recipe because it’s about putting a bunch of great ingredients into an excess of solvent, in this case 64 ounces of water and 48 ounces of chicken stock, that leaches out a ton of flavors, then you reduce that by more than half to concentrate all those flavors. Of all the stuff I cook, this is top of the list as a family favorite!
IMG_1518921840.124928.jpg

I made an Irish beef stew the old fashioned way in a Dutch oven - no crock pot, no pressure cooker. It turned out really well - tender beef, thick flavorful broth, lots of tender carrots and potatoes, too. Will definitely make again.

Back