What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you still have spaghetti squash from the garden, in mid-February?! (Looks great, though!)

I got a squash on the kitchen counter that's been there since Halloween. Looks like I just picked it. If you don't cut or damage a squash skin they are a very protective cover for the food inside.

Hmm... Pork Chops and Squash for dinner?

I need a new way of cooking Acorn Squash. The wife will actually eat it with butter and brown sugar, though...

I had an acorn squash that I had for a couple of months...it went from green to complete orange. I finally cut it in half and I could see a little deterioration just under the skin. I thought about cooking it anyway, but composted it instead.

I had an acorn squash that I had for a couple of months...it went from green to complete orange. I finally cut it in half and I could see a little deterioration just under the skin. I thought about cooking it anyway, but composted it instead.

I'd eat it.

Anyway, mine is already completely yellow. It's some kind of "golden" variety I think. I prefer the green version so far, but I've only had the golden one other time. The roadside stand where I got it had some very funky squashes. I tried to pick a couple that weren't TOO weird looking.

I finally got around to cooking the 2 venison hams that I'd stitch cured a month back.
The back one was dry rubbed and smoked for 4 hours.
The front one was simmered in water with onion and garlic and then dusted with paprika and spices and tossed on the smoker just long enough to dry the skin.
Breakfast this morning was a nice pile of thin shaved ham with some coarse ground mustard. :D
Even at 9lb a piece I don't think they'll last long so I sliced and vac-packed them to pull out a pound every so often.

Middle Eastern lamb stew, slow-cooked for two hours. Dried figs added a very nice touch.

Lamb stew.jpg

Made my Dad's recipe dinner rolls last night and cinnamon roll-thing with extra dough. Tuna casserole at daughter"S house. She's having migraines and stupid insurance company decided to deny prescription she has used for years (after others failed). Anyway, we are the only two that will eat canned tuna.

IMG_20160217_185457463.jpg

IMG_20160217_194531578.jpg

IMG_20160218_121457349.jpg

Made my Dad's recipe dinner rolls last night and cinnamon roll-thing with extra dough. Tuna casserole at daughter"S house. She's having migraines and stupid insurance company decided to deny prescription she has used for years (after others failed). Anyway, we are the only two that will eat canned tuna.

Heathen. Everyone knows that tuna-noodle has to be done with extra wide egg noodles, and not rotini. Bah!

Sorry the daughter is not feeling well, and a pox on insurance companies!

Love tuna casserole. I usually add peas.

That looks great... I've been craving fish lately. I was gonna pick up some tuna steaks at the store yesterday because they were on sale, until I got a look at them and realized why they were on sale lol

Thanks, I know what you mean about changing your mind! Believe it or not, these came from the freezer at Aldis. 12 oz for $5. I was really pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Of course, my thawing and cooking them properly helped;)

So, I forgot to take the extra wide egg noodles to my daughter's house and all she had was rotini or spaghetti...and no peas, or I would have used them! The crushed Fritos on top with the cheddar cheese was a good move though. And the Grandbaby loved it...so, win!

IMG_20160218_123331599.jpg

So, I forgot to take the extra wide egg noodles to my daughter's house and all she had was rotini or spaghetti...and no peas, or I would have used them! The crushed Fritos on top with the cheddar cheese was a good move though. And the Grandbaby loved it...so, win!

We'll forgive you this time, but only because of the fritos and cheese and the kids approval. Saved by the baby.

Not sure what I posted last time I did this. My daughter brought over Poblano Chicken soup the other night to go with the fish tacos I was cooking. Wife loved it so I made it a couple of nights later. I am making it yet again! I've got roasting and peeling chilies down now! Secret is cooking them at a really high temp so skin blisters and chars without cooking the chili!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455850073.668833.jpg

Never tried to grow them before. Probably cause I have not seen plants for sale. Do you start them from seed?

No, A garden center near me always has plants in the spring. Been growing them for years. Love them. Green they are good for some dishes, but let them turn red and they are very hot, but have a nice flavor. Search them out if you can.

Never got back to the computer last night. Thai Bird Chilies went in to Beef Rendang, which I am sure I have posted before. Well, it's actually a Brits take on Beef Rendang, but it's great. Now it's in the fridge for tonight. Working on peri peri sauce that I will marinade chicken in for grilling tomorrow!

I have some slow cooker pork al pastor going at the moment. Will serve on corn tortillas with pickled red onions and crumbed goat cheese (cant find queso fresco anywhere!) and have made some fresh pico de gallo, a mango habenaro salsa, and a roasted tomato-jalapeno salsa as well to top. Serving a side of chorizo-stuffed jalapenos. I'll be sure to post the end result.

Making my Chinese Sausage Baked Buns for the second time. So far, so good. Dough is made and rising. Filling is made and in fridge. I will fill the buns and let rise again, egg wash, then bake and glaze. Have to run a kid out to a skate place at 7pm and grab some takeout from an Asian market...may have to bake when I get back.

I made tuna steak in a szechaun style sauce with fried rice and sautéed zucchini. I accidentally overcooked the tuna slightly, but it still tastes great.

No, A garden center near me always has plants in the spring. Been growing them for years. Love them. Green they are good for some dishes, but let them turn red and they are very hot, but have a nice flavor. Search them out if you can.

I will definitely try and find them this year. We have a couple of larger scale nurseries not to far from here.

It was really good, next time though I'll cook it a little less. I forgot how quick tuna cooks, it was just a bit drier than I like. Other than that this has been the most satisfying meal I've had in a long time lol. Especially since the whole thing cost less than $2.

Latest posts

Back