What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basic Pickling Recipe (These are the proportions, make it larger or smaller as needed!)
4 lbs any vegetables (harder ones work better - isn't that the truth!)
2 3/4 C vinegar (preferably apple cider, but rice, white or red wine are fine too!)
3 C water
1/4 C sea salt (make sure it's not iodized, because that makes the pickle juice cloudy!)

Basic Pickling Recipe (These are the proportions, make it larger or smaller as needed!)
4 lbs any vegetables (harder ones work better - isn't that the truth!)
2 3/4 C vinegar (preferably apple cider, but rice, white or red wine are fine too!)
3 C water
1/4 C sea salt (make sure it's not iodized, because that makes the pickle juice cloudy!)

Of course you can use pickling salt or Kosher salt, too. (But consider your recipe and the volume of what you use...sea salt, flaked salt, Kosher salt and pickling salt all have different grain sizes and a teaspoon of each would all equal different amounts of salt in a solution.)

I think the ratio of vinegar to water seems a little high, but I guess it depends on the vinegar's acidity. You could use less white or cider vinegar than you would rice vinegar. Not sure about wine or malt vinegars acidity...probably in between. I think I would do a little research before I used them interchangeably.

Not pickling, even myself, I hope.
But I'm making Moroccan Beef Stew with Olives and Raisins, out of Draft Magazine (last month?) Uses 12oz of beer, calls for Dark Lager, I'm using homebrewed Irish Red. And a dutch oven instead of a slow cooker. But it smells and tastes very good.

Are you guys using Pickle Crisp / Calcium Chloride?

i think I used the Pickle Crisp in a batch...as I recall, it was good, but I'm not sure how much impact it had.

Having a nice medium-rare T-Bone with my hb robust porter (needs a little more carb, but pairing well).

DSC06254.jpg

So, I was just thinking about my Scottish Pumpkin Ale and Thanksgiving...and I normally make Scottish Shortbrtead fot the holidays. Oh man, I think Scottish Pumpkin Ale and Scottish Shortbread are going to kick ASS as a pairing! I can't wait to make a batch now!!!( I was thinking about how I could brew a shortbread beer, but that butter beer thing is kind of frowned upon, so I'll just eat them with the Scottish Ale.)
The photo isn't mine...can't believe I didn't have one from last year on this computer...but this picture looks pretty much like what mine look like.

imagesCA7S8CNI.jpg

I made ~4 full loins of that a couple years ago. Vacuum-sealed and in the freezer, it lasts for a LONG time.

Just about out of it now, and hoping loins go on sale again for what I paid a couple years ago, but I don't think that's happening. :eek:

Isn't this technically Canadian bacon though? I though buckboard bacon was made with shoulder, not loin....

Regardless, good and easy and much better (and cheaper!) than store bought!

:confused: I dunno! The few recipes I looked at called for either pork shoulder or butt, or boneless loin, or even tenderloin, and they all called the finished product buckboard bacon.

I don't care what it's called - it's delicious! Even better today - the texture has really evened out and the flavor is just awesome. Yes, it does taste a lot like Canadian bacon, but a good hint of just hamminess about it too that we love. I'll definitely make it again.

I wish I'd have thought to get a pic, but my wife made sliced pork center loin in the crock pot with that bourbon, pepper etc sauce again. Big pile of mashed taters & sauce over all. Dang, that was good...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415575704.678501.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415575724.680402.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415575746.253590.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415575770.104848.jpg
Chicken Cacciatore. I love this dish for the abundance of fresh ingredients. Onion, garlic, red and yellow peppers and herbs, white wine and chicken stock that I made. I serve over rice because I prefer it to pasta. I would lick the plate if I wasnt eating with the polite police aka my lovely wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You all make me feel inadequate when it comes to cooking/plating. I tend to cook comfort foods, or slabs of meat over fire. Nothing really anywhere near as colorful and beautiful as what you all cook.

You all make me feel inadequate when it comes to cooking/plating. I tend to cook comfort foods, or slabs of meat over fire. Nothing really anywhere near as colorful and beautiful as what you all cook.

Slabs of meat are pretty tasty & taste is what really counts with food. Add a little eye candy to foods by using a little color. Garnish with a nice green sprig of parsley and a slice/wedge of orange. If you use peppers, use red, yellow or orange. If you're using cabbage, try using red (purple) instead of the green. You could even shoot a pic of the meat on the grill, fire and/or glowing coals add a lot of color.

Use fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned, they have more color & much more flavour. You can fix the colors in veggies by blanching quickly & then plunging in an icewater bath before sauteing or stirfrying. You can also enhance the color of veggies with an acid like vinegar or citrus juice.

Try using some colorful veggies like swiss chard or eggplant, yellow crook neck or butternut squash. If your dish is dark, try using something light to highlight it, like mole sauce with white sesame seeds sprinkled on top, or parsley flakes on a baked potato. It's pretty easy to dress-up your food.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Did you make your own stock with the bones? The more I think about it, the more I feel like turkey would be particularly well suited for Pho because it has big bones that can be roasted until they char.

I'm yet to make pho, but I have easily eaten an olympic swimming pool's worth over the years.

I made a pork shoulder roast using a recipe @Melana sent me. It was cooked in about 2.5 hours and turned out great! I made some gravy using the leftover liquid and a bit of chicken stock. The gravy was just a little sweet from the apples and the little bit of apple cider I added to the pan and it was awesome! I used it on top of the mashed potatoes I cooked up.

My family doesn't eat potatoes with gravy and the pork was so tender and juicy it didn't need any gravy either. They don't know what they were missing!

My apologies to Cheezy. I forgot to take a picture...

Did you make your own stock with the bones? The more I think about it, the more I feel like turkey would be particularly well suited for Pho because it has big bones that can be roasted until they char.

I'm yet to make pho, but I have easily eaten an olympic swimming pool's worth over the years.

Yes sir, smoked turkey it was and imparted a really nice flavor although not very "traditional" tasting.

I made a pork shoulder roast using a recipe @Melana sent me. It was cooked in about 2.5 hours and turned out great! I made some gravy using the leftover liquid and a bit of chicken stock. The gravy was just a little sweet from the apples and the little bit of apple cider I added to the pan and it was awesome! I used it on top of the mashed potatoes I cooked up.

My family doesn't eat potatoes with gravy and the pork was so tender and juicy it didn't need any gravy either. They don't know what they were missing!

My apologies to Cheezy. I forgot to take a picture...

Is Cheezy back?

And your corner of Kentucky has wild turkeys and a turkey hunting season, does it not?

Stuffed pork tenderloin. The filling was basically a pork meatloaf (ground pork, bread crumbs, egg, onion, garlic, rosemary and lots of sage), then I grilled the whole thing with some grilled carrots, and served it all with wild rice.

It was really good, except for the fact that I sliced the s*** out of my thumb while preparing everything. Haven't done that in the kitchen for a long, long time.

I made my heart attack Mac N Cheese; (Steamed Brocolli w/butter, Johnsonville hot links (pre-boiled in beer), White Tuna Chunks, Red Pepper Seeds, Tostitos Cheese Dip, Kraft Cheese Melt, Milk, and a stick of butter). Bachelor cooking at it's best but I am lucky, my wife loves it! :D

That's definitely a Heart Attack Mac! I would call that a Leftover Mac, it looks like you put everything except the kitchen sink in there.

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Portabello Mushroom / Tomatilla Salsa. Better than it looks.

The butter on the bread is homemade butter, cultured with penicillium roqueforti, which gives it the slight flavor of blue cheese. I love it!

_mg_9077-64188.jpg

I was poking around "CheeseForum" and who do you think I found;)

Where do you get your cultures?

I was poking around "CheeseForum" and who do you think I found;)

Where do you get your cultures?

I'll bet that would be floccin' AMAZING in Scottish Shortbread!!! The only flavor is the butter...it's sweet, crunchy butter...but not too sweet. Rich, though. A mild, savory "je ne sais crois" with a faint "bleu" has the potential to be mind-blowing!

Back