What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416020798.177753.jpg
Yes! Finally I have a gas stove! I am so excited i even have a semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

NICE stove!!

But - what - yeast starter? We just yakked with our LHBS dude today and he said the beauty of it was that you didn't NEED to make a starter with this Giga stuff??

I have used this vermont ipa in an ipa no starter and it is a wonderful yeast it produced a tasty ipa. I am only making a starter because I'm making a 10 gallon batch

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Tbf, to us stupid euros, all you muricans are all the same too :eek:

The stereotype of Americans is that we are all uncouth lowbrows...loud, brash and without class. It's not true about us all, but there's a stereotype for a reason.

I had negative experiences with French people being snobby and treating me like ****, just because I'm an American...and I had not done or said anything negative to warrant being the target of their disdain and mistreatment. This happened in Paris and in a small town just across the German border. I discussed the incidents with some Germans that expressed a respect for the French, because they basically had a national pride; whereas, the Germans all self-identified by region...not by country. They were explaining why they believed that the French are entitled to act like self-righteous jerks.

I do not paint all Europeans with that broad brush. I visited a number of countries and was not treated poorly...in fact, most were very friendly. So, I apologize if anyone was offended. There was a lot to admire in France...a lot of beauty. But the ugliest behaviours I experienced in Europe all happened there, too. We are all affected by our experiences and I was obviously hurt and angered.

Sorry for going off topic, but I felt like I had some explaining to do.

No worries, I've seen americans get a raw deal over here too, sadly there are arseholes to be found everywhere :(

back on thread...I'm going to have some hungover toast

@melana told me to post this here, after seeing it on Facebook. I had forgotten about our cooking thread!

Anyway, Revvy and I were chatting on Facebook about salt and vinegar potato chips (my downfall) and I remembered making salt and vinegar roasted potatoes from an issue of Bon Appetit. I was making a roasted leg of lamb, and so my creation was born.

For the lamb, I used a mortar and pestle and made a rub of fresh rosemary and garlic, along with mustard seed, fennel seed, sweet paprika, bay leaf, black peppercorns and sea salt. I rubbed the lamb, and let it sit at room temperature for an hour, then oven seared it and reduced the heat. In the meantime, I boiled the baby potatoes in a salt and vinegar brine, and then dried and smashed them gently and fried in butter to brown in my hot cast iron skillet. (Recipe was inspiration, here: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crispy-salt-and-vinegar-potatoes).

It was served with homemade chianti, and some stir fried green veggies on the side.
potatoes2.JPG

lamb.JPG

lamb and potatoes.JPG

(Pictures not great, taken with my iphone in bad lighting- but the food was sooooooo good!)

@melana told me to post this here, after seeing it on Facebook. I had forgotten about our cooking thread!

Anyway, Revvy and I were chatting on Facebook about salt and vinegar potato chips (my downfall) and I remembered making salt and vinegar roasted potatoes from an issue of Bon Appetit. I was making a roasted leg of lamb, and so my creation was born.

For the lamb, I used a mortar and pestle and made a rub of fresh rosemary and garlic, along with mustard seed, fennel seed, sweet paprika, bay leaf, black peppercorns and sea salt. I rubbed the lamb, and let it sit at room temperature for an hour, then oven seared it and reduced the heat. In the meantime, I boiled the baby potatoes in a salt and vinegar brine, and then dried and smashed them gently and fried in butter to brown in my hot cast iron skillet. (Recipe was inspiration, here: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crispy-salt-and-vinegar-potatoes).

It was served with homemade chianti, and some stir fried green veggies on the side.
View attachment 236087

View attachment 236088

View attachment 236089

(Pictures not great, taken with my iphone in bad lighting- but the food was sooooooo good!)

Why am I suddenly starving;)

Yesterday I made pork & mushrooms in black bean/garlic sauce with stir-fried veggies & my version of miso soup with shirataki noodles & sh!take mushrooms & slivered celery. Sorry about the poor quality of these pics, had to use my phone as my camera battery died & my spare wasn't charged.
Regards, GF.

1115141539_0001.jpg

1115141544_0001.jpg

SWMBO had a girls' night, so I fired up the Weber kettle and grilled some really nice cheeseburgers. In the snow. It was awesome.

Snow. Crazy. Still warm down here (wife's sunbathing at the moment). I miss the change of seasons, but not the snow. We are getting down into 50's later this week, so I've got the wood cut and ready for the ironic fireplace event midweek.

3 racks of babybacks on the smoker for tonight. Nom nom.

I bought a stuffed partridge from Aldi and cooked that. It was actually fairly good, I realised their instructions were for cremating it so reduced the cooking time by 20mins, had it with boulangere potatoes, carrots, parsnips and brussel sprouts. It fed three and I have enough for a couple of nice sammiches tomorrow at work.

I bought a stuffed partridge from Aldi and cooked that. It was actually fairly good, I realised their instructions were for cremating it so reduced the cooking time by 20mins, had it with boulangere potatoes, carrots, parsnips and brussel sprouts. It fed three and I have enough for a couple of nice sammiches tomorrow at work.

Hmmm I always thought of a partridge as a rather small bird. Off to wikipedia I go!

Hmmm I always thought of a partridge as a rather small bird. Off to wikipedia I go!

It is really small, but aldi stuff it with about twice its weight so you get a reasonable meal out of it

if it was just the single bird then it might do two people with no leftovers

I had no idea that partridge was available in stores. I've shot & eaten a few, but never saw them in a store.

@ Creamy: Hey Creamy, ever tried coconut milk instead of cream in your butternut squash soup? It's pretty tasty.

Regards, GF.

I had no idea that partridge was available in stores. I've shot & eaten a few, but never saw them in a store.

@ Creamy: Hey Creamy, ever tried coconut milk instead of cream in your butternut squash soup? It's pretty tasty.

Regards, GF.

I havent, but what a great idea. I will have to try that sometime.

So the other day was fridge cleanup day.

The wife has been doing the shopping so I had to survey the options. I had a plastic basket of red organic cherry tomatoes that were about to get soft, and a plastic basket that had another day or two before they got there full of the yellow, purple, green and orange cherry tomatoes that cost a skillion dollars but taste great and different from each other .

Is it unethical to put tomatoes in a babyfood blender if it isnt for the baby? Thats fine right?

The red ones I pureed with some garlic cloves also pureed fine, and then sliced in quarters the multi-color tomatoes and popped it all into a bowl. I added "italian seasoning" (probably about a quarter to a half teaspoon) and a healthy pour of olive oil (Im guessing a quarter cup or maybe a little less?) and let it hang out in the fridge overnight. I thought I was going to eat this like a little cold soup, but something told me to put it in a pan and cook it down. I got it thick, and then put it over some fresh pasta.

Really good for a change!

So the other day was fridge cleanup day.

The wife has been doing the shopping so I had to survey the options. I had a plastic basket of red organic cherry tomatoes that were about to get soft, and a plastic basket that had another day or two before they got there full of the yellow, purple, green and orange cherry tomatoes that cost a skillion dollars but taste great and different from each other .

Is it unethical to put tomatoes in a babyfood blender if it isnt for the baby? Thats fine right?

The red ones I pureed with some garlic cloves also pureed fine, and then sliced in quarters the multi-color tomatoes and popped it all into a bowl. I added "italian seasoning" (probably about a quarter to a half teaspoon) and a healthy pour of olive oil (Im guessing a quarter cup or maybe a little less?) and let it hang out in the fridge overnight. I thought I was going to eat this like a little cold soup, but something told me to put it in a pan and cook it down. I got it thick, and then put it over some fresh pasta.

Really good for a change!

Yum. And I am sure CreamyJr didnt mind much. So long as you let him choose your next beer.

I also went the pasta route and made up a batch of not authentic at all meatballs. Heavy on the garlic.

I found a pkg of chicken hearts at the store, I love heart! Sauteed those in a bit of olive oil with a pinch of sweet basil & a light dusting of thyme, some minced celery & a wee bit of fresh ground black pepper. Made a gravy & simmered the hearts with some cashews till it got thick. Served over herbed jasmine rice with rosemary, bay leaf & a bit of chicken bullion.

Sides were green beans with a couple pinches of tarragon & a dash of black pepper, stir-fried quickly; and butternut squash with a dash of black pepper, a pat of butter & a pinch of sweet basil. Thinly sliced scallions over all. A tasty twist on chicken & rice.

chichearts1a.jpg

Reminds me of when mom used to make sliced beef heart in gravy over home-made noodles. A pan of biscuits & oh yeah!

It's nearly impossible to find beef heart these days. Used to be fairly common, so much so that I used to eat beef heart every other week or so. Dark, tasty, chewy goodness!
Regards, GF.

I started ordering beef in bulk from the rancher, and oftentimes they sell organs and other less-desired cuts as well. Check out eat wild to find a rancher near you, or ask your local crossfit buddy who they buy their "clean meat" from. A good butcher can also order them for you.

If you have a good Asian grocery store in your area, that might be a good resource...especially if they have an in-house butcher.

I started ordering beef in bulk from the rancher, and oftentimes they sell organs and other less-desired cuts as well. Check out eat wild to find a rancher near you, or ask your local crossfit buddy who they buy their "clean meat" from. A good butcher can also order them for you.

Thanks for the tip on Eat Wild, very handy site.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Back