What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a new smoked Bourbon BBQ beans recipe this past weekend for a community pot luck type dinner event.

3.5# of dry white Northern beans soaked in salted water 12 hours then pressured cooked in batches (cooker size limitation) to 'ready to serve' tender prior to mixing everything together for an overnight meld ahead of final cooking.

1690918541461.png

loaded into a 225F Big Green Egg in two equally divided pans and let cook away for four hours.

1690918577955.png

outstanding!

next time I'll coarse chop the raisins prior to adding them to keep down the piece sizes when they hydrate during cooking. I'll also sub out a portion of the added cook water with fresh pressed apple cider, add some mashed up fresh apricots and/or peaches if in season, and possibly use 2-3 different types of dry beans. bonus to also add some chopped bark from a pork butt if I have some handy, leftover pulled pork, and/or some chopped brisket.

smoke wood was Post Oak this time, but I'll stick with hickory since that what the bacon was smoked with.

O, I forgot to mention a most generous quantity of Bourbon in this recipe. in this 4x sized batch it was +2 cups of 'neat'-able Bourbon. flavor was still present at initial serving time

Last edited:
@TheDudeLebowski - here at our house in Northern Alabama, our sub has huge open space including woods with a paved walking trail, we went out and picked about 2 ish pounds of yellow chanterelles. It was the first time we ever went looking for them. We sauteed some with baby portabellas in butter, red wine and Worcestershire sauce. That was the first time we ever had any, we were surprised at how fruity but not sweet the flavor is. Sorry no pics. The red ones look cool.
Mushrooms and berries are the only thing that grows on my property. The red chantrelles were really good. Great texture and buttery. Perfect with eggs. They're small but I get a couple batches. I was little afraid the first time I saw them. Firey red usually is a warning. I read that you can sautee and freeze them.

We have no chance in hell of finding mushrooms here in the land of low humidity, LOL! Best we can hope for is that Safeway has some oyster mushrooms occasionally....

I just downloaded this recipe for sheet pan Greek chicken that looks awesome in case anyone is interested. I'll probably skip the cherry tomatoes and add canned artichoke hearts instead.

https://downshiftology.com/recipes/greek-sheet-pan-chicken/

We have no chance in hell of finding mushrooms here in the land of low humidity, LOL! Best we can hope for is that Safeway has some oyster mushrooms occasionally....

I just downloaded this recipe for sheet pan Greek chicken that looks awesome in case anyone is interested. I'll probably skip the cherry tomatoes and add canned artichoke hearts instead.

This sounds really good. Easy to make too.

been tempted to grow my own in the basement. but have too many other things going on at the moment.

been tempted to grow my own in the basement. but have too many other things going on at the moment.
We bought one of those kits for oyster mushrooms one time when we lived at the coast. It worked fine but was kind of pricey. However, we have no basement here and no way to keep one happy in our single-digit humidity here in the desert. It was fun to watch them grow though!

We bought one of those kits for oyster mushrooms one time when we lived at the coast. It worked fine but was kind of pricey. However, we have no basement here and no way to keep one happy in our single-digit humidity here in the desert. It was fun to watch them grow though!
During prime day last year I got a kit for like half off and figured I could use the medium to propagate more in my woods. Well I left it on the shop table forgetting about it and three months it exploded by itself umwatered so they do work but like you said a little expensive one use.

They do sell "mushroom plugs" A lot cheaper. It didn't work for me but after researching, my logs were somewhat fresh. A good log to innoculate should be over a year dried from what I read.

Smoked bacon-wrapped meatballs from Sat evening (in the serving pan. I placed these directly on the grate in the BGE)

2023.08.06_SmokedBaconWrappedMeatballs.jpg

I had the idea of using my smoked meatloaf recipe as a base, added to that 1 tsp mustard powder and 1 tsp paprika

225F until inside temp hit 175F

a chunk of Cherry and Apple added to Cowboy hardwood lump charcoal in the BGE for added flavor

Outstanding!

Been traveling so not much cooking until last night. Had a few rainbow trout filets that I pan fried with creamy cucumber salad and a pasta and bean salad for sides. I thought I took a picture but it was just a blurry mess.

I'm prepping for this crazy hurricane Hilary which is headed up the coast of CA - we're getting bands of moisture from it bringing thunderstorms and lots of rain. So I am cooking things up ahead in case we lose power. Just finished 3 pounds of bacon and a quiche with ham/bacon/Ortega chiles/marinated artichoke hearts/dry-aged Provolone and extra-sharp white cheddar. I think it should be edible! :)

I'm prepping for this crazy hurricane Hilary which is headed up the coast of CA - we're getting bands of moisture from it bringing thunderstorms and lots of rain. So I am cooking things up ahead in case we lose power. Just finished 3 pounds of bacon and a quiche with ham/bacon/Ortega chiles/marinated artichoke hearts/dry-aged Provolone and extra-sharp white cheddar. I think it should be edible! :)
Stay safe, the quiche sounds great!

Last edited:
IMG_9620.jpeg
IMG_9621.jpeg

When someone gifts you freshly caught bluefin tuna… The poke bowl has shiitake, avocado, cucumber and green onion over sticky rice with wasabi mayo and tomato and pickled ginger garnish accompanying the tuna.
Pardon, the appearance of the nigiri sushI, my first time forming them, very different from rolling maki.

1692559621711.png

several pints each of fresh Peach jam (L) and Nectarine jam (R)

these were my initial test batches to prove I have my recipes properly tweaked and ready to make multiple batches back-back. the peach was spot on, and the nectarine only need to have the fruit about one day riper so it'll more easy mash with a potato masher (I had to utilize a food processor to get the right pre-cooking consistency for this batch)

this summer I've now made multiple batches of Rainier cherry, Bing cherry, Apricot, Blackberry, Blueberry, Peach, and Nectarine jams, plus a batch of blackberry infused Merlot wine sauce. as Fall approaches I'll also be making apple butter, pear butter, and a couple other fruit jams. getting close to being stocked up for the coming year of personal use and holiday gifting

Jammin out again this weekend to nectarines (last night and today) and peaches (tomorrow).

I got most of the prep work completed as well as one batch of 6ea 1/2 pint and 2ea 1/4 pint jars of nectarine preserves canned last night. Today I'm working four batches, and so far have three batches completed for a total of 20ea 1/2 pint jars plus 4ea 1/4 pint jars. Getting ready to kick off the fourth set which should net and additional 7ea 1/2 pint jars plus maybe enough for another 1/4 pint jar.

Tomorrow it's onward to peaches. I'll get some of the prep work (skinning, pitting, slicing, and mashing with a bit of sugar to release the juices) done tonight, and then tomorrow it'll be running 5-6 batches of 8ea 1/2 pint jars per batch

This was earlier today after my first back had time to cool and the lids 'click'. You can see two bowls of mashed nectarines prior to them having their skins minced in a food processer, and another batch is in the canner. Foam skimmed off the top after final boil is in the bowl on the bottom right - perfect for topping greek style yogurt tonight for dessert.

1693092069857.png

finished up the day by adding one batch of peach jam - peach jam with Bourbon, candied ginger, and a splash of vanilla. filled 8ea 1/2 pint jars and have them in the canner now.

I think I like it better without the vanilla splash; the Bourbon is just a bit more forward than with the vanilla. either would make a great addition to a charcuterie board.

it's late and I've been at this all day, so no images of this last batch.

Yesterday I quickly made meat bean and cheese quesadillas on the grill since a 10 gallon kettle with 6 gallons of wort was on the kitchen stove Served with sour cream and salsa. Salad on the side.
glad to see someone else using their cast iron griddle on the grill instead of paying for an overprice one use griddle grill. a lot of people like them but i like multi function in cooking. Maybe alton brown influenced me years ago with multi function cooking utensils.

how was it? i imagine melt in the mouth fatty goodness. less portions kinda like cheese cake. only can handle so much.

It was delicious. Simply seasoned with kosher salt, the sear was like a crisp coating on the melt in your mouth middle. Different sort of fatty goodness though, juicy like and clean; beefy but not really like normal beef fattiness. Hard to describe.

Make no mistake though, a little goes a long way richness of cheesecake is an apt analogy.

That was a 16oz cut which is pretty generous for wagyu. The GF and I split the main part 50/50 which in itself would have been plenty, but couldn't let the cap go to waste. GF took one bite of that and said it was too over the top in richness for her. So had to fall on the sword and clean that up by myself. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back