What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grilled tuna collars, that were served with sautéed veggies and bread. Hubby and I worked together on this one. The tuna was delish, if you have the opportunity to get collars just do it.
4F7CB90C-60F2-4F7C-B3F7-1D6F0E9C64B1.jpeg
7A24E76D-6D30-4437-B920-8E6D35D63EDA.jpeg

Wow. No posts since Tuesday! That's pretty unusual.

Dinner Friday was Caprese salad, spicy crispy green beans, baked potatoes, and rib eye.

IMG_6865.jpg
IMG_6871.jpg
IMG_6872.JPG

Yesterday was a play in the pool with the grandkids day. I tried to keep dinner simple by just doing hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, but then made two starters. Feta and red pepper dip with pita bread was super simple and super delicious. Then Kolokithokeftedes with Tzatziki and Russian Dressing dipping sauces which were not simple but completely over the top flavor wise!!
IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6884.jpg

DANG Travis you got me drooling all over myself here! YUM to all that!

Thanks :) The zucchini ball things were just amazing. Tasted something similar at the greek place in town the other day, and had to recreate them. These were very close if not better. And I finally have a Tzatziki recipe that I love. All the others I have tried have been lacking. And the Russian dressing is a goto standard that I use on Rubens and Pastrami, as well as salads and subs. Thanks to Emeril for that recipe.

So yesterday morning I was watching some YouTube and came across Sam the Cooking Guy making Hatch Green Chili Cornbread. It flung a cravin on me!

I can't justify buying Hatch chilies right now, because I have an Anaheim plant in the yard that is producing more chilies than I can use, and since they are grown here in the Texas heat, it's hard to tell the difference between them and Hatch chilies.

So I roasted them, peeled, deseeded, and diced, then followed the rest of the recipe exactly with shredded cheddar, and about half the bacon called for. Just fantastic cornbread!

Also made banana bread and did ultimate toasted cheese steak sandwiches for dinner with left over rib eye, toasted french bread, cheddar, gouda, and munster toasted under the broiler. No pictures of those.

IMG_6888.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg

So yesterday morning I was watching some YouTube and came across Sam the Cooking Guy making Hatch Green Chili Cornbread. It flung a cravin on me!

I can't justify buying Hatch chilies right now, because I have an Anaheim plant in the yard that is producing more chilies than I can use, and since they are grown here in the Texas heat, it's hard to tell the difference between them and Hatch chilies.

So I roasted them, peeled, deseeded, and diced, then followed the rest of the recipe exactly with shredded cheddar, and about half the bacon called for. Just fantastic cornbread!
View attachment 740000View attachment 740001
I watched that StCG episode. His cornbread looked fantastic. Glad to hear yours turned out so good.

So I want to do another Tri-Tip party. Made these Rancho Gordo Pinquito beans today to try them out. Just amazing!
View attachment 740129

Have you tried growing them yet (any RG beans)? We have our corona bean bush/tree/thing dying off now, and we're curious when to harvest the pods and beans. RG hasn't responded to any of my emails : )

Have you tried growing them yet (any RG beans)? We have our corona bean bush/tree/thing dying off now, and we're curious when to harvest the pods and beans. RG hasn't responded to any of my emails : )
No, you told me you had, but I have not tried yet. These little pink beans would be a great one to try though. These are really delicious. Also would love to try and get cranberry beans to grow!

Going to try out a really nice Cuban Black Bean recipe within the next day or so (still need the All Natural Mushroom Seasoning). I did get the Sazon today in the mail. I meant to buy 9 packets and accidentally bought 180 packets.
Sazon.jpg

Feta and red pepper dip
I was inspired to Google. I got this:
Greek Feta and Red Pepper Dip
8 oz high-quality feta cheese
6 oz roasted red peppers (can use jarred)
1/4 t salt
1/8 t red pepper flakes
2 T olive oil
Pulse everything but olive oil. Slowly add olive oil and pulse

How close did I get?

Mmmmm Merry! What are you putting on your soba noodles? I have a package of them but haven't yet decided on the treatment they will receive....

Making carnitas tacos with 90 second microwave tortillas tonight. They are low carb and gluten-free and they fry up brown and crispy. I also make cinnamon crispas with them for dessert. Will try to remember to post a picture!

Mmmmm Merry! What are you putting on your soba noodles? I have a package of them but haven't yet decided on the treatment they will receive....

Making carnitas tacos with 90 second microwave tortillas tonight. They are low carb and gluten-free and they fry up brown and crispy. I also make cinnamon crispas with them for dessert. Will try to remember to post a picture!
I put a small amount of sesame oil and some oyster sauce, some garlic and ginger would have been nice too.

I was inspired to Google. I got this:
Greek Feta and Red Pepper Dip
8 oz high-quality feta cheese
6 oz roasted red peppers (can use jarred)
1/4 t salt
1/8 t red pepper flakes
2 T olive oil
Pulse everything but olive oil. Slowly add olive oil and pulse

How close did I get?
Spot on. Very simple recipe. Important to buy block feta, and not the pre-crumbled. We had both, and did a side by side taste test and there is no comparison at all. The block feta is WAY better. This dip also makes a great sandwich, much like pimento cheese, BTW :) I used store bought Pita instead of making my own this time. Just cut the pita up into triangles, through them on a sheet pan, and baked them for 5 minutes. This dip with warm pita is just great :)

I cooked nothing this weekend, but I did remove, disassemble, replace seals, reassemble, and reinstall a leaking pool pump. So we went out and ate Italian food yesterday. Oh what I would give to be able to make the dish I usually get from there. Gianni's Special. Chicken sautéed with sausage, ham. roasted peppers, black olives, mushrooms, in a white wine cream sauce with a touch of marinara. Just AMAZING. Part of the secret is that they make their own Italian Sausage daily and it is to die for. I have made Italian sausage a few time, but never one like theirs. All the other ingredients are top notch, and the sauce is just over the top. They make it sound simple as a "white wine cream sauce with a touch of marinara" but it can't possibly be that simple.

This dip with warm pita is just great
Just by the look from your photo of the dip above, it looked stellar. I will be roasting the peppers myself as that is a very easy step to complete.
Thank you for the info.

cod at my Costco
It's a very recent addition (Roseville, Mi.). Price is what got me to buy. I'll have to check that Mahi out; I'm thinking that baking that cod has put me on a fish kick for a while.
Edit: the one thing I wasn't thrilled by was the wasteful packaging that can't be recycled--I, at least, couldn't find the chasing arrow symbol. Long, clear-plastic base and then vacu-sealed.

Last edited:
Back