What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0069532E-6EFD-4FD8-9015-81371ACE9A17.jpeg

German goulash over spaetzle.

View attachment 645483
German goulash over spaetzle.
Mmm, making me very hungry! But those aren't Spätzle, those are noodles in my book. Spätzle are sloppy little freeform dumpling drizzles, you put way too much skill into it. But I will shovel either into my piehole with equal abandon.

Mmm, making me very hungry! But those aren't Spätzle, those are noodles in my book. Spätzle are sloppy little freeform dumpling drizzles, you put way too much skill into it. But I will shovel either into my piehole with equal abandon.
I confess, these are from a store, but the goulash is cooked by me and simmered to tenderness for hours with just the right amount of caraway.

German Goulash
Ingredients

• 3 lbs yellow onions
  • 50 g clarified butter (I used duck fat)
  • 4 lbs lean beef (trimmed chuck is best)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 5 Tbsp sweet paprika
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 16 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 dry red wine
  • 2 1/2 cup beef bone broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
  • Pinch of sugar is okay at the end if you like, I didn’t think it needed it.
Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 350F if cooking in the oven as opposed to on the stove top.
  • Peel and chop the onions and peppers 1/2 inch dice
  • Heat the fat in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
  • In the meantime, trim the beef of any fat and sinew, then cut the beef into about 1" - 1 1/2" pieces. Set aside.
  • Peel the garlic, chop, add caraway seeds and mince together with a knife.
  • Once the onions are ready, add the peppers and sweat, then add beef broth, red wine, paprika and the meat together with the bay leaves, garlic, caraway seeds, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix and bring to gentle simmer. Turn the heat down to low, cover and let simmer on the stove top (or in the oven at 350F) until the onions have mostly disintegrated and the beef is tender, about 90 minutes to 2 hours. For a thicker consistency, cook uncovered or partially covered after 1 hour while frequently checking on the progress. Once the goulash is thick enough for your taste, cover and continue cooking until done.
  • Season the goulash with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves and serve while hot over spaetzle or with rye bread.

*the meat is not browned before adding to onions etc. There is no flour or thickener other than the sweet paprika.

Last edited:
Clockwise: SV pork belly then sauteed with Japanese eggplant and onions in a reduced soy glaze. Soured bamboo salad and Beef knuckles SV until tender then minced with onions and my laab seasoning blend over a bed of mixed greens. No rice (trying to watch carbs) but would normally serve with steamed purple sticky rice.
20190925_183634.jpg

Just got done churning another batch of homemade ice cream. Pictures not that impressive so i'll save the space. Technically it was cooked last night since it is a custard base.

Been working on some new formulations using stabilizers. So far locust bean gum and guar gum appear to be even better than xanthan gum.

Bacon wrapped hot dogs, but I had no buns so I used cheese and tortillas ... also salsa and onions cooked in the bacon grease.
View attachment 645887
I've been craving a good dog. Not a purist either, hot link, polish, brat, whatever. Just needs mustard, and some sort of fermented goodness like kraut, kimchi or cortido.

Any suggestions outside of brewing in regards to what I should/could do with to these apples?
View attachment 645707

If I had those I'd press out the juice, let it ferment, then make apple cider vinegar. We just harvested 3.5 gallons of it, made with store-bought organic juice - would rather have fresh pressed apples though!

German Goulash
Ingredients

• 3 lbs yellow onions
  • 50 g clarified butter (I used duck fat)
  • 4 lbs lean beef (trimmed chuck is best)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 5 Tbsp sweet paprika
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 16 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 dry red wine
  • 2 1/2 cup beef bone broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
  • Pinch of sugar is okay at the end if you like, I didn’t think it needed it.
Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 350F if cooking in the oven as opposed to on the stove top.
  • Peel and chop the onions and peppers 1/2 inch dice
  • Heat the fat in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
  • In the meantime, trim the beef of any fat and sinew, then cut the beef into about 1" - 1 1/2" pieces. Set aside.
  • Peel the garlic, chop, add caraway seeds and mince together with a knife.
  • Once the onions are ready, add the peppers and sweat, then add beef broth, red wine, paprika and the meat together with the bay leaves, garlic, caraway seeds, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix and bring to gentle simmer. Turn the heat down to low, cover and let simmer on the stove top (or in the oven at 350F) until the onions have mostly disintegrated and the beef is tender, about 90 minutes to 2 hours. For a thicker consistency, cook uncovered or partially covered after 1 hour while frequently checking on the progress. Once the goulash is thick enough for your taste, cover and continue cooking until done.
  • Season the goulash with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves and serve while hot over spaetzle or with rye bread.

*the meat is not browned before adding to onions etc. There is no flour or thickener other than the sweet paprika.

Thank you, Merry, that looks excellent! I still have some venison stew meat in the freezer - may try it with half that and half beef!

Chocolate, a huge calzone, and bacon and omelets on griddle. Calzone was so big had to finish in oven. Bought droste cocoa powder. It's pretty intense. Was atk winner in taste test as well as other reccomendations. Not sure what to think of its powerful flavor
Screenshot_20190928-132858_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190928-132848_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190928-132433_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190928-132418_Gallery.jpeg

Its really good for picatta, carbonara and a lemon/garlic/butter sauce too. Its ok for traditional spaghetti but sauce doesn't always stick to it the same as noodles.

I made a raspberry mojito boozy ice cream that was out of this world. Because each pint had a solid two shots of vodka in it, it kept it from getting solid (which I personally love). Gonna have to start playing around with more alcohol in ice cream

That just looks amazing! Well done!
Thank you. Dinner practically made itself.

I SV a leg of lamb this weekend and had about a quart of gelatinous base. Then I SV an eye of round for dips. Added all the juices to 6 onions in the instapot with a cup of wine and some seasonings.

All the boys ate burgers tonight. Brisket chuck blend to medium with 2 slices of processed cheese. Excellent.

I’ve posted enough pics of those but never my favorite method - griddled on the grill. Preheated to 500 for about 35 minutes then 3 minutes a side. They end up crusty on the outside and pink in the middle.

Ideal for outside cooking because it makes a royal mess. I’m also not big on the flavor you get from cooking directly on gas grill or the proclivity for them to catch fire.

IMG_3206.JPG

Back