BYO Back Issue "Discount" - shipping gouging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Admittedly this is an utter Kevin problem, or the old man telling the kids to get off the lawn. BYO's current $1 per back issue sounded great, until I started to check out. Something like $29 shipping. For 12 magazines. Am I the only Kevin who finds that ridiculous?

That would be $41 which is not too much more than their yearly subscription. The yearly publishing schedule is not a full 12 issues either, only 8. If it is $30/year, since you are getting 4 extra issues, it would cost $45 for 1.5 years.

On the other hand, $29 for 12 magazines does seem a little more than necessary for shipping.

That would be $41 which is not too much more than their yearly subscription. The yearly publishing schedule is not a full 12 issues either, only 8. If it is $30/year, since you are getting 4 extra issues, it would cost $45 for 1.5 years.

On the other hand, $29 for 12 magazines does seem a little more than necessary for shipping.
I'm just not a fan of the practice - either "free shipping" that is recovered by higher prices, or like here, "only $1" but then they make it up in what I have to believe is a pretty radical shipping surcharge. A very tiny problem, like I said, very Kevinish of me, but just a bit of a peeve.

You can fit a dozen magazines into a medium flat rate box which ships for $16. Media mail costs a fraction of that.

$29 s&h gives them a tidy profit for the "handling" part.

I tried a subscription of BYO once a couple years ago. It took them 8 months to get the first issue to me. Not a fan, and this latest stunt surprises me in the least.

Latest posts

Back