What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple lunch yesterday:

Tilapia fillets fried in olive oil with salt and pepper, topped with diced green onions from the garden and some shaved parmesan cheese. Technically they were also steamed, since I added a small amount of water and covered with a lid while the whole thing cooked through.

Wife and kids wanted soup last night, but I am not yet ready to concede the end of summer. To me, soup season starts no earlier than the NFL kickoff! I have plans for a Chicken Corn Chowder with Jalapenos, though.

So for supper it was grilled chicken with Belgian White seasonings (McCormick, I think..) mashed potatoes and grilled Zhucchini with parmesan.

Just came out of the oven. Needs to sit for a bit before I serve it. Lots of extra sauce for future meals.

That looks KILLER GOOD! :rockin:

We made a similar sauce last November, a huge vat of it - browned off saved beef and pork bones in the oven, and various cuts of meat browned in the pan. Didn't do the meatballs but did have the sausages. We had a huge amount of homegrown Roma tomatoes which we had quartered and frozen as they were - ran those through the KitchenAid food mill attachment. It made the BEST sauce I ever ate! We froze many quarts of it because it was too hot then to can it. We have three quarts left, one of which we're gonna eat probably tonight, starting to have anxiety about running out, LOL!

Simple lunch yesterday:

Tilapia fillets fried in olive oil with salt and pepper, topped with diced green onions from the garden and some shaved parmesan cheese. Technically they were also steamed, since I added a small amount of water and covered with a lid while the whole thing cooked through.

Wife and kids wanted soup last night, but I am not yet ready to concede the end of summer. To me, soup season starts no earlier than the NFL kickoff! I have plans for a Chicken Corn Chowder with Jalapenos, though.

So for supper it was grilled chicken with Belgian White seasonings (McCormick, I think..) mashed potatoes and grilled Zhucchini with parmesan.

We need to get you a camera... :)

Most of the things I'm seeing here are soooo beyond my ability, and look amazing. It's a shame my tastes are vastly broader than my wife...
I don't have any pictures to prove it, but I made my first smoked brisket yesterday. It took me 2 weeks of searching stores for a whole one (vs just the flat), and finally found exactly 1 at the only Walmart superstore in the area. Half the price per pound over the flat at bjs wholsale, and 1/3 of the same at Wegmans. Neither was a higher grade so I'm not sure why such as big price difference.
I did a basic salt & pepper rub overnight, in the propane smoker with some hickory chunks at 8am at 250, by 4pm it was done, wrapped it in a cooler for an hour, then chowed down. I have no idea how it compares, since I've never had one before, but our son and I both thought it was amazing. My wife not so. She's not into smoked -anything-. Sigh

Since it was 1/3 longer than my smoker is wide, I have the second half for a followup. I may try that one in a BBQ style. I'll have a camera ready next time.

We need to get you a camera... :)

I've used my camera phone, but it's pictures generally suck unless you are outside in daylight. The inside pictures seem to get a greenish tint. Not very appealing.

I know I *could* easily find another camera, but it's not as easy to get the pics from there to online as my phone.

I should start documenting my processes so I can remember them, though. Most times I don't even have a real recipe.

So I noticed my pancake batter had a biscuit recipe also so I whipped up some southern breakfast for me and the wife. Mini sausage biscuits and gravy.

13330888_10154134324568911_1786604760810191403_n.jpg

image_zpsyvfnxui4.jpg

Wood fired, pepperoni and mozzarella pizza. :mug:

Jealous of your stove. Between your's and Evets' in the pizza thread I am hanging out in Forno Bravo again looking at builds to restart my build. I designed the whole thing, cut all the blocks for the octagonal base, then got distracted with other things (for like 7 years! Lol).

Pizza looks fantastic!

Holy cow, Travis - you ought to be able to stick a Volkswagen on the wall with that thing when you're done! LOL!

Surprisingly no. I finally got them all potted in place with silicone latex caulk which dried over night, so I got to test it. Awesome, just the right amount to hold even the biggest knives without being so strong that it's a pain to get them off. I've got to let the second layer of caulk dry, then probably rout the edges or something, then sand it and oil the wood, then ready to hang. I'm pretty excited because the knife block is old and nasty looking, and does not really fit my knives, but also because it will free up much needed counter space.

Wait till tomorrow, when my new sharpener arrives! Lol. No doubt more ooo's and ahhhh's from me about that! I believe it's going to blow my 3 stage chef's choice machine away!

Surprisingly no. I finally got them all potted in place with silicone latex caulk which dried over night, so I got to test it. Awesome, just the right amount to hold even the biggest knives without being so strong that it's a pain to get them off. I've got to let the second layer of caulk dry, then probably rout the edges or something, then sand it and oil the wood, then ready to hang. I'm pretty excited because the knife block is old and nasty looking, and does not really fit my knives, but also because it will free up much needed counter space.

Wait till tomorrow, when my new sharpener arrives! Lol. No doubt more ooo's and ahhhh's from me about that! I believe it's going to blow my 3 stage chef's choice machine away!

Well, it's just dawned on me that I cannot rout the edges of this thing on my router table, which is also my cast iron table saw table, because I can't move it once it is stuck to the table. I could rout the edges freehand with it stuck to the table, but I am pretty sure the super magnets would break free of the caulk if I tried that. So I have to find a non ferrous surface to clamp it down to then rout it from the top side. Huff. Lol

Travis, I can't wait to see that finished knife holder!

I got the pasta machine out again this afternoon and cranked out some fettuccine noodles, had them with the aforementioned Italian Sunday Gravy and some grilled then sliced hot Italian sausages. Oh man I'm full. And that's the end of the semolina pasta balls I had made up and frozen. Next up, gonna try our oversprouted whole wheat flour, probably half & half with unbleached flour. The experiments are funnnnnn! (And tasty.)

Jealous of your stove. Between your's and Evets' in the pizza thread I am hanging out in Forno Bravo again looking at builds to restart my build. I designed the whole thing, cut all the blocks for the octagonal base, then got distracted with other things (for like 7 years! Lol).

Pizza looks fantastic!

I was going to build one from this company. They basically offer you a styrofoam form that you build around. They mail you the form. Then you build a simple wall base and pour the square that goes on it. After that you throw the form on and away way you go. All the YouTube videos of people building them and angling the bricks without a form seems more difficult. Have tons of testimonials from all kinds of normal looking people including smaller men and women and also videos. Ultimately I think I want a regular fireplace and outdoor kitchen with cinder block design or dry stack blocks from allan block also simple easy designs. I'm afraid that this thing could crack in a snowstorm or something. Maybe somebody here knows better. Sorry I figured i would share the 4 months of research I did.

http://www.brickwoodovens.com/

View attachment 1471919261380.jpg

There are lots of methods to build. The Forno Bravo forum has a ton of detailed build threads. I would advise reading them before you decide to build anything. But basically you need a harbor freight brick saw. Lol

Wife made Chicken Tacos last night. I was about to tell her it wasn't Taco Tuesday, but then I realized how stupid that would be and I shut my mouth.

Tonight might be leftover taco tuesday...

Whoa, close call... any time my wife wants to cook its welcome LOL. Don't get me wrong I love cooking but every...single...day....not everyone realizes that sometimes I want to be cooked for.

Whoa, close call... any time my wife wants to cook its welcome LOL. Don't get me wrong I love cooking but every...single...day....not everyone realizes that sometimes I want to be cooked for.

I was very busy last night welding rockers on the Jeep, helping my nephew with his Exploder, helping Stepmom with her computer issue and mudding/sanding theater wall.

It was a welcome moment to walk in to smell chicken frying in spices.

I guess having my wife cook for me was so unusual I almost forgot myself! :D

The new sharpener arrived!!
View attachment 367508

I've got one of those. Works well. I love the thing - it'll sharpen everything in the house.

However, if you really really want your knives to shave hair off your arm, it won't get you there. Even the 6000 grit band won't quite get your knives back to factory razor-edge. BTW, that 6000 grit band will wear out pretty quickly - get extras.

I use a water stone that does the trick. King Two Sided Sharpening Stone with Base - #1000 & #6000

I feel like I'm raining on your parade. I'm not. You'll love it, and maybe you'll be completely satisfied. But I needed (wanted) my sharpening system to go to 11, and it took the low-tech stones to get me there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one of those. Works well. I love the thing - it'll sharpen everything in the house.

However, if you really really want your knives to shave hair off your arm, it won't get you there. Even the 6000 grit band won't quite get your knives back to factory razor-edge. BTW, that 6000 grit band will wear out pretty quickly - get extras.

I use a water stone that does the trick. King Two Sided Sharpening Stone with Base - #1000 & #6000

I feel like I'm raining on your parade. I'm not. You'll love it, and maybe you'll be completely satisfied. But I needed (wanted) my sharpening system to go to 11, and it took the low-tech stones to get me there.

I'm shaving hair off my wrist with my pocket knife. Does seem like there should be an intermediate belt before the #6000 though. And the #6000 is only a 1/2" belt. Probably for gut hooks and serrated stuff, but a 3/4" also would have made more sense for knives. Regardless, knives are way sharper than with my magic chef 3 stage machine or whatever that machine is. I have waterstones. Never sharpened my kitchen knives with them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back